Touch/Tag Rugby League TTRL

4 hours ago, Yakstorm said:

So now Rugby League has official partnerships with the respective Touch Football Leagues in Australia, France, Ghana, Brazil and England plus friendly relationships between the two in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia and New Zealand. 

Arguably a critical enough mass of influence for the IRL, ERL & APRL to encourage all their members to start trying to formalise relationships whilst also doing the same at the IRL & FIT level. 

So every one of the literally hundreds of thousands of Touch Football players in all those countries is now a potential fan of the Tackle version of the game, they are playing a version of it.

Even if not in person, if the country or region they play in has no Tackle League competitions, then certainly on-line where they can be `fed `highlights reels or have access to live coverage of professional Rugby League.

You would have to think that anyone who plays that version of our game would be potentially interested in what the best players in the world - in their respective competitions - are performing week-in week-out, the potential for sharing this among team-mates, friends, workmates etc. would be significant.

I`d be thinking it would be important to:

a) create a database of every Touch player in every country where Touch is affiliated with Rugby League - the benefits of that go with out saying;

b)  get the respective national Rugby League bodies logo on every piece of its` associated Touch Football bodies paraphernalia in each country - if there is no national Rugby League body the IRL logo would suffice;

c) organise competitions and tournaments around Tackle Rugby League clubs or national bodies to strengthen the public association of Touch with Tackle League and its` clubs, and

d) work towards a fully fledged and IRL backed Touch Rugby League World Cup on an alternate 4 year cycle to the existing Rugby League World Cup. This may not reach the hype that a Tackle version World Cup but would provide an excellent opportunity to promote not only Touch but Tackle Rugby League world-wide.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Rookie snapshot

• Name: Jocephy Daniels
  • NRLW club: Eels
  • Position: Centre

"I grew up in poverty with a single mum and my brother," Daniels told NRL.com.

"I was making a lot of wrong choices like drinking every weekend and missing school.

"I didn't care and would blame my childhood on all of my future actions."

Daniels turned to two things that got her back on track; her culture and league tag.

"I was small and skinny so wasn't too interested in rugby league but tag kept me out of trouble," she said.

Daniels also has her eye on earning a Maori All Stars debut on February 12 after recently being picked in the extended squad.

From not playing at all, to League Tag to Tackle and now potential rep honours and a World Cup on the other side of the world. Twenty first century Rugby League pathways.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2020 at 17:51, iffleyox said:

I don't know if you've ever worked as a freelancer, but when I did I had a stock response to anyone who offered me "exposure" rather than cash....

Why would they expect us to offer them cash? It would be just as inappropriate to ask them for cash, to join us? 

3 hours ago, iffleyox said:

I can’t even remember the conversation to be honest - have you been in a coma for 18 months?

ha ha, no. i was drawn to it in a similar way to you. Someone commented on something i'd said, which took me to the conversation, then i noticed your remarks. 

• Like 1

Great story about a lovely pair of girls.

NRLW 2022: Women's All Stars, Bobbi Law, Andi Law, sisters ready for rare family double - NRL

Bobbi is among a growing list of women who started their journeys in the touch football ranks before transitioning to rugby league.

Her Indigenous All Stars teammates Tamika Upton, Tahulah Tillett and Kirra Dibb also played touch football in their younger years.

Among the others in the lead-up to the NRL Telstra Women's Premiership include Broncos pair Tarryn Aiken and Hayley Maddick, along with Titans playmaker Grace Griffin.

"You definitely see a lot of fundamental skills – the catch, pass and running – in a player," Law said.

"You can tell in the men's and women's game who has a touch football background, the basic skills tend to be a level above.

"A lot more girls are coming across too when they watch others go first, so it's a great pathway."

Was at the game and the Touch Rugby League game was in no way out of place and the crowd was thoroughly engaged.

P.S. G`day @unapologetic pedant  wish you could have been with us in the stands, you would have loved it. Saw Abdo during the week promoting the new season and was repeating over and over again we`ve got something for everyone Touch, Tag and Tackle, it`s getting almost as much coverage from the hierarchy now as the tackle version and why wouldn`t it when you read above.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

" Interesting theory you presented @The Rocket. I have never considered it that way. It’s got me thinking. The major competitor does have a touch or tag presence and I think it could pivot pretty easily to adapt to such a change, but still an interesting theory all the same. " @Sports Prophet

99% of head knocks in League occur at the tackle, head-on-hip; head-on-shoulder; head-on-head and so on. You eliminate the tackle you effectively eliminate the head knock.

In fumbleball given the nature of the game head knocks at the tackle only makes a proportion of head knocks in the game. By far the greater potential, and indeed is the case, as the ball is contested on the ground so much, the chances of players clashing heads or clashing heads with someoneelse`s hips, shoulders, knees etc. is far more likely. There is no way of avoiding this given that so much of the game revolves around contesting the ball on the ground. Unlike soccer where the ball is contested on the ground but with feet, thereby the head can be kept clear of any potential danger, fumbleball requires bending over and picking the ball up in order to either kick or do that ridiculous thing where they punch the ball ( BTW what has the ball ever done, it`s bad enough being kicked repeatedly, but punched as well ?? ). Thereby eliminating the tackle from fumbleball will only solve part of the problem and I don`t know how they can address the potential for head knocks at the contest on the ground because that fundamentally is the largest part of the game. i.e. two or more people charging head first for the ball attempting to pick the ball up and with eyes only for the ball, take that away and you have soccer.

So with all due respect, I don`t think it holds water to suggest that afl has some ready made Touch or Tag alternative if we ever get to the point where tackling in kid`s sport is banned. In an incredible case of serendipity, twice on the weekend I flicked over to the fumbleball during a break in the NRLW only to witness on the first occasion a player cannon head first in to chest of an opponent, rendering themselves stunned and the second occasion someone being caught by a stray forearm resulting in them being assisted off the ground. Demonstrating exactly what I had been thinking about.

As you and I both know SP having watched a lot of kids sport, serious head knocks, even head knocks are not a common occurrence, but it is what people see on TV that will largely inform their decision on whether or not they allow their children to play a particular sport and through Touch/Tag Rugby League I think that we are in a much better position to capitalise on any decisions to eliminate physical contact in the children`s versions of their respective sports.

I hear what you’re saying @The Rocket, but there is no tackling to age 10 and more a two handed grab up to age 12, so there is an existing no tackle and minor contact versions of the game for children aged to 12. There is also AFL 9s which can be played as touch or tag. It’s exists, is played by juniors and adults and is popular, no where near as popular as touch footy.

Kids to that age are not running into contests for the ball on the ground like the adults are either. Head knocks very much are an issue in both sports, I think to age 12, the other guys have a version deemed much safer, which is supported in the dramatic climb in junior registrations in the sport above the old Barrassi Line over the past 20 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

I hear what you’re saying @The Rocket, but there is no tackling to age 10 and more a two handed grab up to age 12, so there is an existing no tackle and minor contact versions of the game for children aged to 12. There is also AFL 9s which can be played as touch or tag. It’s exists, is played by juniors and adults and is popular, no where near as popular as touch footy.

Kids to that age are not running into contests for the ball on the ground like the adults are either. Head knocks very much are an issue in both sports, I think to age 12, the other guys have a version deemed much safer, which is supported in the dramatic climb in junior registrations in the sport above the old Barrassi Line over the past 20 years.

It goes to show I suppose how League has been a laggard in getting the low-contact versions of the sport into schools and younger age groups. We urgently need to get away from this notion that any thing else but tackle is soft or is for girls.

Even just the other day I heard Latrell Mitchell bragging how tough he played the game and if he wanted to play in any other manner he might as well play Touch. Speaking of it in such a condescending manner does nothing to make it an acceptable variation. Imagine the difference it could make if someone as popular as him came out and actually promoted it. One day.

• Like 4

There is a bit of that about at the moment isn't there? 

Of course we see no massive hits in touch but the excitement and intensity comes from the cardio induced fatigue and crazy passes. 

I am 47 with a family and a job so for me the chance to play league rules with minimised risk of serious damage works. 

• Like 1

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2022 at 11:41, Man of Kent said:

The TTR UK Tag Nationals in Leeds are being live streamed this Saturday.

11:15 – 15:45 Live streaming on the Try Tag Rugby Facebook page
15:50 – 18:40 Live streaming on Our League

https://trytagrugby.com/london/uk-tag-nationals-2022-preview/

I shall be playing for South London Seals over-40s. Yay!

Playing for Coventry over 40s! See you there! 

• Like 1

On 18/05/2022 at 11:41, Man of Kent said:

The TTR UK Tag Nationals in Leeds are being live streamed this Saturday.

11:15 – 15:45 Live streaming on the Try Tag Rugby Facebook page
15:50 – 18:40 Live streaming on Our League

https://trytagrugby.com/london/uk-tag-nationals-2022-preview/

I shall be playing for South London Seals over-40s. Yay!

Had a great weekend in Leeds. Well done to you guys, you had a very good team though we gave it a go. The spirit in which all the games were played was brilliant. Had some great chats with people after games too 👍 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Had a great weekend in Leeds. Well done to you guys, you had a very good team though we gave it a go. The spirit in which all the games were played was brilliant. Had some great chats with people after games too 👍 

Great spirit except some of the Yorkies who occasionally tagged with their shoulders 😆

It was a great day. Look out for a write-up in the next Forty-20.