Touch/Tag Rugby League TTRL

• 2 weeks later...

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo announcing the expanded Women`s comp and one of the reasons they have fast-tracked expansion from 6 to 10 teams. 

Abdo: "What`s the point of difference we`ve got in Rugby League... we`ve got Touch, Tag and Tackle...."

Abdo: We want the best athletes in the world - NRL

Edited by The Rocket

• 1 month later...

Just indulge me please 🙂

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/yaxleyyaks/news/yaks-are-runners-up-in-the-summer-touch-league-2714760.html

Interestingly a number of local community rugby league club players joined the competition and played during the weeks it was on. 

Looking at this as a positive that touch is helping with league but a negative as it was as a result of their senior fixtures over the weekend being off. 

Fancy a game of touch in Cambs or Lincs? DM me 

• 3 weeks later...

NRL 2022: Titans, Great touch prior to kick-off for Sunday's NRL clash at Cbus | Titans

Prior to the NRL game, teams from Palm Beach State High School and Keebra Park State High School will play in a touch football exhibition match to officially launch the 2022 Gold Coast Titans All Schools Touch Carnival.

Held in October, The Gold Coast Titans All Schools Touch Carnival is is the world’s largest touch football tournament, with over 450 teams representing various schools both nationally and internationally.

Across the 5-day tournament, over 6,000 students will take to the field playing over 1,700 games across 23 fields, attracting between 6,000 and 10,000 spectators.

Lots and lots more of this wherever League is played please.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

NRL 2022: Titans, Great touch prior to kick-off for Sunday's NRL clash at Cbus | Titans

Prior to the NRL game, teams from Palm Beach State High School and Keebra Park State High School will play in a touch football exhibition match to officially launch the 2022 Gold Coast Titans All Schools Touch Carnival.

Held in October, The Gold Coast Titans All Schools Touch Carnival is is the world’s largest touch football tournament, with over 450 teams representing various schools both nationally and internationally.

Across the 5-day tournament, over 6,000 students will take to the field playing over 1,700 games across 23 fields, attracting between 6,000 and 10,000 spectators.

That's some size of a tournament and great to see.

2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Do the Touch players ass bums on seats at Titans games ?

• Confused 1

On 06/09/2020 at 14:58, The Rocket said:

For too long we have allowed this variation of the game to be hijacked by union

I think this may the wrong forum for fighting for RL's side.

You're spot on though. Touch is RL without the tackling no matter how much you attempt to pathetically make the play the ball look like a ruck.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 minutes ago, EggFace said:

🤣 Sorry was typing in a hurry but do the Touch Players get incentives to watch the Titans.

One would hope the Titans and RL clubs everywhere have plans in place to turn Touch and Tag players into regular fans of Tackle RL. That has been one of the themes of this whole thread.

It will be slow going. We have to overturn 20-30 years of treating non-contact forms as totally separate entities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, arcticchris said:

2 of my Yorkshire Thorns teammates won for England in the European Touch championships at Nottingham this past week in the senior mixed and Mens 30s categories.

Nice one. I actually reffed at the last Euros (2018).  Did France-Wales M30s, and a bit of Women's Open among a load of other games. It was also at Nottingham and a great event to be part of. 

Edited by Programme Guy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 31/08/2022 at 00:41, Man of Kent said:

The tag RL British & Irish Cup is on this weekend in Leeds, streamed on YouTube (and Our League on Sunday).

https://youtube.com/c/TrytagrugbyUK

I’ll be playing for GB in the Mens 40s ‘test’ series, 5 x 40-minute games over Saturday and Sunday 🇬🇧🇮🇪

0372345C-BBE5-4D2E-9633-8B575A1CA9C0.jpeg

Good luck. Think you have two lads from the Coventry and Warwickshire team I coached at the Tag Nationals 👍

• Like 2

On 01/09/2022 at 22:30, OriginalMrC said:

Good luck. Think you have two lads from the Coventry and Warwickshire team I coached at the Tag Nationals 👍

Marc Day and Alex Brown?

We won our series 3-2, winning the fifth and deciding game 5-3. Brilliant but am now completely exhausted. 

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Marc Day and Alex Brown?

We won our series 3-2, winning the fifth and deciding game 4-3. Brilliant but am now completely exhausted. 

Yes thats them. Well done on the series win. I managed to catch a couple or games and the standard was very high from both teams 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Yes thats them. Well done on the series win. I managed to catch a couple or games and the standard was very high from both teams 

The Irish loved to ping a flat cutout ball to a receiver running an unders line at pace. Tricky to tag. They did us like that a few times. 

i thought we got better as the weekend went on after being a bit of a rabble early. The old adage about completing sets applies just as much in tag. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

interesting development 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f21841c8-3f5d-11ed-b24d-96120f17513d?shareToken=aed78b7252baee484fd89c6ed71380ee

Rugby Union clearly now feels that touch is a credible way to generate resource and is looking to take some of the momentum out of the RFL and England Touch joint partnership from earlier this year. 

The Touch Union having separate rules from FIT is going to be something that needs resolving down the line (as the piece says to be fair), but it will be interesting to see how this goes down at our club. 

We are a touch section that plays as part of a union club paying our subs into them. Will the club be looking to move more players our way  

Edited by jacobus
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jacobus said:

interesting development 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f21841c8-3f5d-11ed-b24d-96120f17513d?shareToken=aed78b7252baee484fd89c6ed71380ee

Rugby Union clearly now feels that touch is a credible way to generate resource and is looking to take some of the momentum out of the RFL and England Touch joint partnership from earlier this year. 

The Touch Union having separate rules from FIT is going to be something that needs resolving down the line (as the piece says to be fair), but it will be interesting to see how this goes down at our club. 

We are a touch section that plays as part of a union club paying our subs into them. Will the club be looking to move more players our way  

Yes its me Cross Coder but this when League and Union should definitely be in it together promoting Touch/Tag as it adds much needed money in the League/Union clubs especially as adult playings are declining.

Mind you the bad side of Touch in my experience is that it's become to combative and tactical these past 5 years and some times resembles a game of Netball and have seem 75% of my ex club leave as apart from knackered knees etc they don't find it fun it was Social Touch.

Thats a good point you make there. 

I find inter club competitions much better as the ball is chucked around and there is not so much structure in terms of running channels and high press defence (as we aren't fit enough to do it!)

Some of the other stuff I have seen and been part of has been less fun based on really tactical and teams just mark each other out of the game. This leads to limited breaks of the line and low scoring.