4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Perhaps you have a point..............I viewed him passing, as him not wanting to make contact/do the tough stuff, but perhaps it was a plan. He's not suited to the middle so I can't see him playing in the Radley role even if he does play more minutes. I actually think the Roosters are more dangerous when the likes of Taukieaho and JWH mix it up and pass at the line. Sonny has silky hands but he needs to engage the defensive line to make an impact. Even in his time at Toronto, he seemed to shy away from the tough stuff, and often looked at offloading in precarious situations when he did get hit. It's sad because I wanted to see him back at a decent level but he's a shadow of himself

I agree with this. A creative middle forward only works if he also regularly takes on the line and keeps the defence guessing. As I have said previously on this thread (and the Toronto threads when he was playing) if he wants to just be a 17st half back he is not worth it. If he runs his weight and causes some damage he will be miles better.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/09/2020 at 05:07, marklaspalmas said:

I remember him being awesome at (correct me if I'm wrong) Canterbury as a kid. Very very good player.

Then in his prime he played a lot of rugby union (like Farrell and Robinson) which was a great shame as RU is rubbish and my life is too short to bother with it.

Since he's come back to Toronto he's looked a bit old and knackered but with some touches of class.

In terms of money, you cannot begrudge any money players get out of RL as it is hard earned (compared to some other sports). Those, like sbw, who take easier money from RU? Good luck to them, but as i said, it's a pity their skills are lost to RL.

Seems like a decent enough bloke.

What's the problem?

Honest question, what’s skills do second rowers or props need that’s not in union?

25 minutes ago, bennyboy said:

Honest question, what’s skills do second rowers or props need that’s not in union?

Honest answer? The full set. In rugby league you need an incredible range of athletic ability, strength, handling and ball skills, tactical awareness, a life dedicated to training and performance.  That's to play in any position at any pro level.

What kind of "skills" you need to amble round the park for a game of kick and clap rugby onion, I wouldn't have a clue, but given how dull and static the whole sport is, it can't be anywhere near league standards.

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Honest answer? The full set. In rugby league you need an incredible range of athletic ability, strength, handling and ball skills, tactical awareness, a life dedicated to training and performance.  That's to play in any position at any pro level.

What kind of "skills" you need to amble round the park for a game of kick and clap rugby onion, I wouldn't have a clue, but given how dull and static the whole sport is, it can't be anywhere near league standards.

There's a whole set of skills determined by position that can't really be compared between codes.

An open side prop has a slightly different job to blind side in union. A second rown has tactical scrumming skills and an ability to be held ten feet off the ground to catch and set the ball.

The forrads all have specific skills in the rucking and mauling to move the ball. 

These are just a few of the skill set needed to play union. Neither prop or second row compares to their namesakes in league. Its a much more technical game. A lot of folk enjoy that carry on.

I don't mind union. I played enough of it and really enjoyed the craic.

I enjoy watching league so much more .... and then there's a fair distance between the group of sports to be considered my second fav.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

There's a whole set of skills determined by position that can't really be compared between codes.

An open side prop has a slightly different job to blind side in union. A second rown has tactical scrumming skills and an ability to be held ten feet off the ground to catch and set the ball.

The forrads all have specific skills in the rucking and mauling to move the ball. 

These are just a few of the skill set needed to play union. Neither prop or second row compares to their namesakes in league. Its a much more technical game. A lot of folk enjoy that carry on.

I don't mind union. I played enough of it and really enjoyed the craic.

I enjoy watching league so much more .... and then there's a fair distance between the group of sports to be considered my second fav.

Fair play mate. I'm sure you'd've enjoyed the craic at Wath much more on Sonny Bill's wages. 😉

As you know, my interest in onion is zero, so I accept what you say about the "skils" it takes to lift another bloke in the air or what goes on in a ruck and maul.

When you see an athlete like a young SBW (or Sam Burgess or Robinson etc) do what they do in a game of RL then go to play onion, it just seems a waste of their incredible skills. And, inevitably, those skills gained and honed in XIII become dulled through lack of use in XV.

23 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fair play mate. I'm sure you'd've enjoyed the craic at Wath much more on Sonny Bill's wages. 😉

As you know, my interest in onion is zero, so I accept what you say about the "skils" it takes to lift another bloke in the air or what goes on in a ruck and maul.

When you see an athlete like a young SBW (or Sam Burgess or Robinson etc) do what they do in a game of RL then go to play onion, it just seems a waste of their incredible skills. And, inevitably, those skills gained and honed in XIII become dulled through lack of use in XV.

That depends on who's eyes you're looking through.

Some of my Union mates think likes of Robbo Farrell etc were the poodles swingers....  of course, we know different.

One thing, if I was a coach and a young Ashton did that bloody stupid "swallow dive"..... he'd only do it once!!!

25 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

SBW named on the bench again for this weeks clash against Newcastle.

Robinsin has obviously not heeded the “experts” on this forum.

Bet he takes easy way out,Hamstring after less than 15.hes a spent force.

16 minutes ago, silverback said:

Bet he takes easy way out,Hamstring after less than 15.hes a spent force.

Sonny Bill Williams was voted the 3rd hardest hitter in the NRL over the last 3 decades.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/300037911/sonny-bill-williams-voted-third-hardest-defensive-hitter-over-last-three-decades-of-australian-rugby-league

It would be quite an end to his NRL career if, as you say, he fakes an injury to get out off the pitch this weekend.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sonny Bill Williams was voted the 3rd hardest hitter in the NRL over the last 3 decades.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/300037911/sonny-bill-williams-voted-third-hardest-defensive-hitter-over-last-three-decades-of-australian-rugby-league

It would be quite an end to his NRL career if, as you say, he fakes an injury to get out off the pitch this weekend.

Well he seemed to have a slight limp after 8 minutes,4 tackles and 3 hit ups,2 dropped balls,looked worse when he came off,dont get me wrong he were one hell of a player but its 9 years since his best.hell am a pensioner and i could a made same yards with ball.:kolobok_wild:, i did go out my way to see SBW while he were in TWP but felt he let himself down.cant wait for  next sharks game.he will ache then.

1 minute ago, silverback said:

Well he seemed to have a slight limp after 8 minutes,4 tackles and 3 hit ups,2 dropped balls,looked worse when he came off,dont get me wrong he were one hell of a player but its 9 years since his best.hell am a pensioner and i could a made same yards with ball.:kolobok_wild:, i did go out my way to see SBW while he were in TWP but felt he let himself down.cant wait for  next sharks game.he will ache then.

He didn't drop any balls at the weekend.  We can all have a different opinion of his current ability to do well in the NRL but let's not just make stuff up.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He didn't drop any balls at the weekend.  We can all have a different opinion of his current ability to do well in the NRL but let's not just make stuff up.

Ok,ball went to ground when he got in way of his own player thinking it were his ball but he could have still grabbed ball and run, while running about thinking he were 20 again and running out a steam he seemed to just be in wrong place but rusty am sure,i hope he does get back in shape as gets MOM but doubt he will even get picked when other players come back.

Just now, silverback said:

Ok,ball went to ground when he got in way of his own player thinking it were his ball but he could have still grabbed ball and run, while running about thinking he were 20 again and running out a steam he seemed to just be in wrong place but rusty am sure,i hope he does get back in shape as gets MOM but doubt he will even get picked when other players come back.

I don't think he would have even been signed if the Roosters hadn't picked up a couple of injuries (Radley in particular).

But it adds a bit of extra interest in the game this weekend and that's no bad thing.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think he would have even been signed if the Roosters hadn't picked up a couple of injuries (Radley in particular).

But it adds a bit of extra interest in the game this weekend and that's no bad thing.

My wife thinks he as a nice smile...😍

just out of interest - did poster boy make any special requirements about his shirt he put on display for 12 mins? it has advertising for alcohol on the front and unibet on the back - am sure there was an issue at twp 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just out of interest - did poster boy make any special requirements about his shirt he put on display for 12 mins? it has advertising for alcohol on the front and unibet on the back - am sure there was an issue at twp 

Which alcohol advertising ?

He didn't have the Unibet logo on his shirt but I'm sure the club has raffled the sponsor space with Unibets permission to local firms who are struggling due to the pandemic.

12 mins ? You may need to upgrade your £2 fake Timex

On 07/09/2020 at 08:56, Dunbar said:

Yes, I agree with this.  I would be very surprised if got anywhere near the edge forward role with Cordner, Tupouniua and Crichton in the 17.

The talk is that he will be an impact forward in the middle of the park.  He could play a role similar to Victor Radley in the middle... some ball handling alongside some big defence.  I think a ball handling middle forward is what the Roosters have lacked since Radley was injured and Williams has the skills to do this but I think this would be off the bench and not for the 80 minutes.

Overall, I think Williams would be best suited to an edge role in the modern game and his skill set is perfect for it.  Just not at the Roosters as they have loads of talent there.

An edge player has to do a gell of a lot of running and cover a quite considerable amount of ground if the roll is to be perfomed correctly, better suited to a young aerobic conditioned younger person than someone who clearly has the guy with the Hoody, White Beard and Sickle standing beside him. 

Good luck to the man if people are still prepared to pay him big bucks to keep him in the limelight, on the field he was not a good fit for a very inappropriate Toronto squad where to much was expected of him, and I expect in 'closer' contests that the Roosters will encounter as the season progresses he will not be appearing in the squad very much if other candidates are ready, able and fit.

He WAS one of the modern greats, he has done nothing since his return to RL to suggest he is anything but average, and time is very much against him to prove anything to the contrary.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

An edge player has to do a gell of a lot of running and cover a quite considerable amount of ground if the roll is to be perfomed correctly, better suited to a young aerobic conditioned younger person than someone who clearly has the guy with the Hoody, White Beard and Sickle standing beside him. 

Good luck to the man if people are still prepared to pay him big bucks to keep him in the limelight, on the field he was not a good fit for a very inappropriate Toronto squad where to much was expected of him, and I expect in 'closer' contests that the Roosters will encounter as the season progresses he will not be appearing in the squad very much if other candidates are ready, able and fit.

He WAS one of the modern greats, he has done nothing since his return to RL to suggest he is anything but average, and time is very much against him to prove anything to the contrary.

Putting aside the 'is he capable' part of the conversation for a second, do you believe that playing as an edge forward is more physically demanding than playing in the middle?

8 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Talk of SBW's demise looks to be a bit premature,played 30 mins as a middle forward today and showed plenty of class playing a part in 2 tries and his ball playing unsettling the Knights defence.

He is definitely adding something to the Roosters structure. Having a middle forward with good hands who can shift the ball well in both directions allows the Roosters halves to move one wider in the shift plays and work with their edge forwards and centres (where they attack really well).  As I said previously, the Roosters have lacked this since Radley was injured.

Then throw in a decent offload when he does engage the line and he can cause some damage for them that's for sure.

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He is definitely adding something to the Roosters structure. Having a middle forward with good hands who can shift the ball well in both directions allows the Roosters halves to move one wider in the shift plays and work with their edge forwards and centres (where they attack really well).  As I said previously, the Roosters have lacked this since Radley was injured.

Then throw in a decent offload when he does engage the line and he can cause some damage for them that's for sure.

He was undeniably effective. Trent Robinson was always going to use him more discerningly than the sort of performing seal offload machine Toronto wanted him to be.

Yep,credit were its due,he had a good stint and looked a lot fitter than last week for sure,he sure looks to be enjoying himself and laughed off the couple a late cheap shots 3rd man in stuff,some great ball skills that were a flashback to games yonks ago,he must get people switching telly on just to see how he goes each week.

Archived