Centurions target Albert Kelly

4 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Leigh Centurions’ hunt for halfbacks continues after Albert Kelly emerged as another player on the club’s hit list. The Centurions announced the signings of Blake...

View the full article

I saw him on tv the other week for the first time, I can't remember who for.

I remember thinking he looked a very good player, he stood out for me.

I can see why Leigh are interested in him as they always play good fast rugby. 

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is it 2018 all over again? 

We've been over that one before Hela, thankfully any investments that Mr Beaumont makes in the playing squad are not done on the recommendations of one Kieron Cunningham, 19 player's he brought in most of who just held out their hand to be paid and gave nothing back. 

So I hope Leigh are not repeating 2018 all over again, but sign player's who want to play for the club. 

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

We've been over that one before Hela, thankfully any investments that Mr Beaumont makes in the playing squad are not done on the recommendations of one Kieron Cunningham, 19 player's he brought in most of who just held out their hand to be paid and gave nothing back. 

So I hope Leigh are not repeating 2018 all over again, but sign player's who want to play for the club. 

It feels very boom or bust, again. Which isn’t the first time Leigh have done this, nor any other Championship side. With Toulouse, London, York and Featherstone, it looks, this early, like the Championship will be very difficult to get out of at the top end and I hope no team are preparing to overstretch themselves, though I fear some will, especially with planned TV negotiations. 

20 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It feels very boom or bust, again. Which isn’t the first time Leigh have done this, nor any other Championship side. With Toulouse, London, York and Featherstone, it looks, this early, like the Championship will be very difficult to get out of at the top end and I hope no team are preparing to overstretch themselves, though I fear some will, especially with planned TV negotiations. 

I think the big difference this time around is that everyone is being signed to 1 year deals and generally have been since the shambles that was 2018 so we aren't financially leveraged beyond the end of the season. 2018 we were handing out 2/3 year deals on big money with no certainty on central funding.

The worst case this year is the team don't perform, we don't renew contracts as they expire and probably revert to being a part time club.

17 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think the big difference this time around is that everyone is being signed to 1 year deals and generally have been since the shambles that was 2018 so we aren't financially leveraged beyond the end of the season. 2018 we were handing out 2/3 year deals on big money with no certainty on central funding.

The worst case this year is the team don't perform, we don't renew contracts as they expire and probably revert to being a part time club.

That all sounds eminently sensible, and credit to Degsy for learning from his 2018 mistakes

32 minutes ago, SL17 said:

It’s the only cheap shot he knows. Still has nothing to back it up.

Nope, nothing at all 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/leigh-out-of-special-measures-and-agree-termination-with-final-two-players/

Derek Beaumont: “I would like to thank the players and backroom staff for agreeing to terminate their contracts to enable the Club to continue and rebuild and I apologise to them for the manner in which I have had to conduct myself with them in order to achieve this.

27 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Nope, nothing at all 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/leigh-out-of-special-measures-and-agree-termination-with-final-two-players/

Derek Beaumont: “I would like to thank the players and backroom staff for agreeing to terminate their contracts to enable the Club to continue and rebuild and I apologise to them for the manner in which I have had to conduct myself with them in order to achieve this.

Very diplomatic.

6 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Keep an eye on it Hela, at present the club has REALLY looked after its players despite no games - ask any of them. Derek was shocked at the positive commitment from fans and sponsors recently and has publicly said he is going for it as a result, with plenty of cash sat in the bank and an owner willing to put in ''£a lot'' its looking like a good 2021.

No KC involved in recruitment means a good nucleus of last year will remain, with losses replaced with better - its a very happy club at present

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

As I said you have nothing to come back with. Mr Beaumont had to follow the rules.

All contracts were null and void on relegation. Everyone got paid. Now take that to the cleaners.

Think your getting mixed up with the years. Leigh didn't finish in the Top 4 in Championship so Beaumont went about releasing on contract players. No contracts were null and void.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/46131962

Why should players be forced to give up contracts, did Rhys Evans and Kevin Larroyer get fully paid for contracts signed. The answer is no.

Archived