If licensing returned?

Oldbear

Now first and foremost let me say I’m not a fan of licensing, especially when the difference between many of the incumbent SL clubs and Championship wannabes is often the amount of TV money, but if the RFL/SL decided it were to return, or if the next TV deal insisted on a licensed SL then what criteria should be used to decide who is in, and who is out (and when I say criteria I mean real measurable criteria, not artists impressions of stadiums). Additionally what do you do about teams who may just miss out, should the RFL offer some sort of package to assist clubs to get up to standard, with the eventual aim of a larger SL, or should the clubs be left to get up to standard by themselves?

Remember I’m not a fan of licensing, I just suspect it’s coming back, probably with the next TV deal, so if it has to be then how do we make the assessment process truly fair and not just a free pass for the existing incumbents.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Oldbear said:

Remember I’m not a fan of licensing, I just suspect it’s coming back, probably with the next TV deal, so if it has to be then how do we make the assessment process truly fair and not just a free pass for the existing incumbents.

Why would Sky want to limit the interest just to the top few clubs in SL, keeping P&R active gives them much more content of interest to broadcast, last season for example they aired a number of games involving the bottom 4 clubs quest for survival and also showed a good few of the Championship clubs race for promotion, in the 4 previous seasons the 8's were prominent in their schedules.

Take P&R away and we are left with a number of SL club's who's season is over half way through and the games involving them will be inconsequential and we will be left with just the few involved in getting to Old Trafford,  good for the fan's of those clubs but I for one don't want to watch the same teams every week, I want variety or my subscription ends.

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’m very old fashioned . Decide things on the pitch , if you deserve it you get relegated ... if you earn it you get promoted . 

It'll never catch on.

I also can't think of a single professional sport who decides such things exclusively on the pitch.

Including rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The 'major' county cricket leagues in the UK?

I pondered that and then decided that as there's no way that Cumberland could win the Minor Counties Championship and then get promoted - despite being effectively a semi professional side in a pyramid - that the 18 county set-up (however they choose to arrange themselves or get arranged by the ECB) is possibly the most permanent example a closed-shop/licensing arrangement there is.

So nur.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, redjonn said:

he does say exclusively... most sports have a minimum criteria that has to be met also together with the winning of promotion.

Bingo.

To give an example from the past few weeks: if Harrogate Town don't spend money to replace the pitch at their ground then Harrogate Town are not getting promoted.

11 minutes ago, redjonn said:

he does say exclusively... most sports have a minimum criteria that has to be met also together with the winning of promotion.

Non League football is the prime example,they have very strict criteria that clubs have to  fulfil in order to move up the levels.

11 minutes ago, redjonn said:

do you know I live in Harrogate...

I did not. But it's a good example. Sutton (I think) last year wouldn't have gone up because they didn't have the money to alter their pitch.

Rugby union has standards based P&R through its pyramid. Don't meet them, don't go up.

Cricket, as we've seen, at county level is a closed shop. And there are rules as well (I believe) at senior club level about facilities in the top ECB leagues.

I'm sure we can find one professional sport that does this traditional approach of deciding everything by how well a team performs on the pitch ...

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I did not. But it's a good example. Sutton (I think) last year wouldn't have gone up because they didn't have the money to alter their pitch.

Rugby union has standards based P&R through its pyramid. Don't meet them, don't go up.

Cricket, as we've seen, at county level is a closed shop. And there are rules as well (I believe) at senior club level about facilities in the top ECB leagues.

I'm sure we can find one professional sport that does this traditional approach of deciding everything by how well a team performs on the pitch ...

Yes they need to meet criteria but they also need to win promotion on the pitch. People saying club A (generally Toulouse) should be ‘put’ in SL is nonsense, as is getting rid of P&R. 

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Not always,teams can be promoted if a team finishing above them doesn't or are unable to meet the criteria.

They’re not just put in a higher league because of their location though, they are still the best team other than the one who doesn’t meet the criteria. 

11 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’re not just put in a higher league because of their location though, they are still the best team other than the one who doesn’t meet the criteria. 

You stated that teams had to win promotion on the pitch I’m merely disproving that 1 statement.

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes they need to meet criteria but they also need to win promotion on the pitch. People saying club A (generally Toulouse) should be ‘put’ in SL is nonsense, as is getting rid of P&R. 

Perhaps then a rephrase is necessary. Its not that teams would be put in SL, but that some, by means of criteria, would be cut out/off until that improves.

Archived