Squad for 2021

graham fisher

The squad look’s to be coming along nicely.

We don’t look to have much cover in the halves though.

Sykes and Finn aren’t in the first flush of youth and they will be over a year older since we last saw them. So a young 6&7 that we can bring through would be the priority IMO.

rambo.gif

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, graham fisher said:

That’s true,it can become a player’s downfall. 

I would have been quite happy if we had kept him. As alluded by KTF, the issue will be to find his best position. With us he seemed not to have the pace to play in the backs. I reckon he could turn into a decent second row. 

Good luck to him. 

3 hours ago, distantdog said:

I would have been quite happy if we had kept him. As alluded by KTF, the issue will be to find his best position. With us he seemed not to have the pace to play in the backs. I reckon he could turn into a decent second row. 

Good luck to him. 

I did notice he didn’t have the pace when he intercepted a pass against us and Knowles tracked back and caught him 🙈

On 07/01/2021 at 12:17, Hugh Jarce said:

By the time this season actually starts, we might find Sykes & Finn have decided to retire! 😮

You'll be pensioning them off at this rate. Still at least all your key players qualify for the first round of vaccinations 😄

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

A new signing recently announced is that of Aaron Hall, a 27 year old prop who previously played for Swinton Lions. His amateur club was Folly Lane, which is in the Bewsey district of Warrington. 

He will wear shirt number 20.

Folly Lane is opposite the old swinton ground, station road and certainly not in Warrington. 

Aaron was a bit of a fan favourite being that he came through Folly, was treated abysmally by our former chairman. Gets the ball out well in the tackle but needed to improve his fitness 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

On 19/02/2021 at 21:54, Mark said:

Folly Lane is opposite the old swinton ground, station road and certainly not in Warrington. 

Aaron was a bit of a fan favourite being that he came through Folly, was treated abysmally by our former chairman. Gets the ball out well in the tackle but needed to improve his fitness 

Ooer, see my brick-red face!

I am now searching for a dark hole in which to hide. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

10 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

In what I hope this time is correct, our latest signing is Jamie Greenwood, the younger brother of our coach. 

Jamie is a hooker with aspirations of becoming a half back and will take the 19 shirt. 

Ah good old nepotism...  wonder if any of the coaching staffs granny wants a shirt?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On 21/02/2021 at 08:39, Piggy's mate said:

Ah good old nepotism...  wonder if any of the coaching staffs granny wants a shirt?

We missed out on her unfortunately, she showed some real promise but you can't win em all.

Signed up for the Gallant Pensioners I think! 😉😂

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

Jamie Abram has now left the club and joined his brother, Dan, at Oldham. 

Sorry he has gone. During the short spells I saw him in the warm up games he looked to have halfback potential. Who will cover for our ‘senior halfbacks’ if they are unavailable. Why get another prop when we seem to have enough ? More halfback cover required I think.

5 hours ago, myview said:

Sorry he has gone. During the short spells I saw him in the warm up games he looked to have halfback potential. Who will cover for our ‘senior halfbacks’ if they are unavailable. Why get another prop when we seem to have enough ? More halfback cover required I think.

I believe that he asked to be released. I guess that it must be difficult to retain players who aren't getting immediate first team chances whilst not having played competitively for a year. This can't be a problem just to our club, can it?

Alex Smith is the only obvious cover that we have at present, I think.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

I believe that he asked to be released. I guess that it must be difficult to retain players who aren't getting immediate first team chances whilst not having played competitively for a year. This can't be a problem just to our club, can it?

Alex Smith is the only obvious cover that we have at present, I think.

Aye, but he’s out with an undisclosed injury and for how long is uncertain. I do hope our ‘senior’ half backs remain injury free. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

18 hours ago, silcoates said:

It's ridiculous that we don't have second teams these days in RL.We need to bring on young half backs like Mark Keyworth and Chris Vasey from the past.

The complications of Covid make second teams impossible at present so it isn't really ridiculous, is it?

I would welcome the rejuvenation of proper A teams but this may still be a long way off. I do know that it continues to be a part of the club's aspirations but there has to be a viable competition to enter and a safe environment in which to operate.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The complications of Covid make second teams impossible at present so it isn't really ridiculous, is it?

I would welcome the rejuvenation of proper A teams but this may still be a long way off. I do know that it continues to be a part of the club's aspirations but there has to be a viable competition to enter and a safe environment in which to operate.

Of course it's ridiculous like many of the wrong decisions RLhas made over the years.SL was wrong for example.RL was never big enough to go off on it's tod like SL did. One London owner once said they would get 30'000 a match in the Maurice L.times[ another clown].  Of course if covid carries on that's obvious BSJ.

8 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

Reece Chapman-Smith and Connor Scott have also departed for pastures new. 

That might explain why we have signed Beckett. Reece Chapman- Smith looked a good player but unless there's injuries, not much chance of game time. 

18 hours ago, silcoates said:

Of course it's ridiculous like many of the wrong decisions RLhas made over the years.SL was wrong for example.RL was never big enough to go off on it's tod like SL did. One London owner once said they would get 30'000 a match in the Maurice L.times[ another clown].  Of course if covid carries on that's obvious BSJ.

You forgot the abolition of unlimited tackles, proper scrums, the five yard offside rule and field goals (don't tell the Aussies).

14 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Really disappointed to read that Connor Scott has left ... he was our best forward in the few games we played last season! ... Where has he gone?

Listening to the interview with LG before today's game it sounds to me that they don't see eye to eye. Hence he has gone, where we don't yet know.

Archived