RL in 2070

HawkMan

RL in 2070  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Where will RL be in 50 years ?

• After the demise of soccer, RL will be no.1 globally.
    • Very strong in new and current territories, Intercontinental cups, strong WC, no.2 or 3 globally.
    • New pro leagues in France ( own league), North America, Serbia, Greece etc, more nations play, but still not global.
    • As it is today, no change really.
    • SL semi professional, lower leagues amateur, NRL struggling as soccer no.1 in Oz.
    • People say " RL, oh yeah that died out didn't it ?"
    • Possibly the most HORRIFIC option, the game thrives, but is run by UNION, called New Rugby Union, happened after League died.

Where will the game be in 50 years? I've chosen 50 years because most of us won't be around, so we needn't worry if we're wrong !! The heart may say one thing, but the head something different. So honestly where do you think TGG will be in 2070.

Following the rise of the machines and the enslaving of the human race for energy derived from our body heat and electrical activity, Rugby League will become the sport of choice for the sentient machines.

Ironically, this means that the opening credits on Sky Sports will become actual game day footage.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Following the rise of the machines and the enslaving of the human race for energy derived from our body heat and electrical activity, Rugby League will become the sport of choice for the sentient machines.

Ironically, this means that the opening credits on Sky Sports will become actual game day footage.

If the doomier global warming predictions come true, and we`re all submerged, you might have to change your mind about water-polo.

5 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If the doomier global warming predictions come true, and we`re all submerged, you might have to change your mind about water-polo.

I’m not too concerned about that, we’ll all be dead by then, victims to Covid-29

7 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

At that point, with the dominance of all forms of Rugby League, Water Polo will have been re-branded to Aqua-League

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I'm fairly certain that by 2070 we'll still have weekly threads about league structure, P&R and what-if scenarios.

Unless of course the town of Leigh consumes Wigan and runs Saints as their reserves as they win back to back SL titles against the Mars Wolfpack.

19 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I used to love playing water polo but I gave it up after three of my ponies drowned.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

7 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I'll be around. I'll only be 101. I'll let you know.

It's interesting. I was born in 1970 and so exactly halfway to being around in 2070 at 100 years old.

But when I read the thread, my initial reaction was no chance I will be around! Not sure what that says about me.

With RU constantly changing their rules to improve its entertainment value, together with private equity investment into both RU and RL their will be only one merged game... with future histories important date being the reconciliation of the sports and all clubs badges branded with the reconciliation year, say "2030" like 1895 is today....

Maybe the declaration of reconciliation taking place in Huddersfield.

Here in the UK anyway...

Australia being like USA and having its own sport that no one else plays

I think all heavy contact sports are in danger of being scrapped within 30-40 years. The more science we learn about contact and head injuries - also the repercussions of games like Rugby, Boxing, NFL in later life - the more likely it is for kids to play other sports.

Who would have thought kids wouldn't be heading footballs in 2020?

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think all heavy contact sports are in danger of being scrapped within 30-40 years. The more science we learn about contact and head injuries - also the repercussions of games like Rugby, Boxing, NFL in later life - the more likely it is for kids to play other sports.

I’m glad I won’t be around then . Sky will be showing chess , bowls and tiddlywinks 

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

By 2070 virtual reality and/or holographic entertainment may have reached such a level that we can watch a game of Rugby League as it is today without any humans actually playing it.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

It's interesting. I was born in 1970 and so exactly halfway to being around in 2070 at 100 years old.

But when I read the thread, my initial reaction was no chance I will be around! Not sure what that says about me.

Let's make a pact to meet up. You can buy me a pint. Fev still won't be allowed into Super League.

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Let's make a pact to meet up. You can buy me a pint. Fev still won't be allowed into Super League.

It's a deal.  If previous inflation is anything to go by, a couple of pints in 2070 with be about £150.  I will start saving up!

Archived