RL in 2070

HawkMan

RL in 2070  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Where will RL be in 50 years ?

• After the demise of soccer, RL will be no.1 globally.
    • Very strong in new and current territories, Intercontinental cups, strong WC, no.2 or 3 globally.
    • New pro leagues in France ( own league), North America, Serbia, Greece etc, more nations play, but still not global.
    • As it is today, no change really.
    • SL semi professional, lower leagues amateur, NRL struggling as soccer no.1 in Oz.
    • People say " RL, oh yeah that died out didn't it ?"
    • Possibly the most HORRIFIC option, the game thrives, but is run by UNION, called New Rugby Union, happened after League died.

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's a deal.  If previous inflation is anything to go by, a couple of pints in 2070 with be about £150.  I will start saving up!

Aye, but we'll qualify for a Centenarians Subsidy by them.......

We'll also get a birthday card from our 146 year old queen.

Looking at it in a slightly different way, imagine you had asked this question 50 years ago, which I remember very well as it was the year after my team got to Wembley for the only time in my life. Who, then, would have predicted full time professionalism, a team from France (and Canada!) in the top flight, another team from Canada and USA joining the league structure soon? Who would have predicted the size and athleticism of the players compared to 50 years ago? Who would have predicted the removal of scrums, possibly permanently from our game? Who would have predicted that the most important game of the season would not be the Challenge Cup Final? I, for one, think it is a much better game now than it was then.

Headingley will still be one of the top grounds but Leeds will have inexplicably reduced the capacity to about 1,500. Each crowd member in his or her own little turret.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

And my great grandson Ellery Wally Brett 'Big Mal' Dunbar will be the world's number 1 player.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And my great grandson Ellery Wally Brett 'Big Mal' Dunbar will be the world's number 1 player.

This is the best one, so far. 

It will definitely be robots playing by then. Or at least modified humans. The top teams will get their players supplied and maintained by Microsoft and Apple. Leigh will get theirs from Acorn Computers, although they will be hoping to use the money that Harry Stottle left them in his will, to forge new links with Amstrad and help them finally return to SL.

Since that wasn't one of the options, I voted for New leagues in France (etc.) but still not global. I think that's perfectly realistic.

Absent some new organization outside the current structure being formed and taking on the task of lifting the game's profile and stature, pro RL won't exist in the northern hemisphere 20 years from now (as John Kear suggested in a radio interview a few years ago) let alone 50.

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Absent some new organization outside the current structure being formed and taking on the task of lifting the game's profile and stature, pro RL won't exist in the northern hemisphere 20 years from now (as John Kear suggested in a radio interview a few years ago) let alone 50.

Sadly, I have a similar feeling.....

Playing numbers are decreasing. Clubs folding at an alarming rate. Its very sad.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

He’d have to be with that name . It’s just cruel piling that much weight of expectation  on a kid !

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Sadly, I have a similar feeling.....

Playing numbers are decreasing. Clubs folding at an alarming rate. Its very sad.

And that tells me that the sons and grandsons of the RL players and followers of yesteryear are turning away from the sport, which is very serious.  Someone ought to find out why they are doing that, but quite possibly the game's administrators are afraid of the answer because it will be something for which they don't have any solution.  My strong suspicion is that it's because the game in its present form has nothing to offer them with sufficient appeal to pull them away from the other things competing for their time and attention.

12 hours ago, Scubby said:

I think all heavy contact sports are in danger of being scrapped within 30-40 years. The more science we learn about contact and head injuries - also the repercussions of games like Rugby, Boxing, NFL in later life - the more likely it is for kids to play other sports.

Who would have thought kids wouldn't be heading footballs in 2020?

They are already making plans to ban the ` Falcon `.

By 2070 SL tv coverage will start with at least an hr dedicated to Phil Clarke’s outfit that week. All game analyst will be gone as John Wells uses the touch screen to take a look at Phil’s latest caftan and Cuban heels combo. 

5 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Do you get lots of cracks like "Blitzkrieg Bowl", or "Hey ho, Let`s bowl"? If not, I could fill pages for your delectation.

Only when wearing my Ramones  t shirt which is most games while playing Mr Pedant.

2 hours ago, hunslet ramone said:

Only when wearing my Ramones  t shirt which is most games while playing Mr Pedant.

I was once persuaded to have a go at crown green bowls by a regular-playing friend who ought to have been young enough to know better. And he made me look a complete fool - lot harder than it looked. 

Would it have made all the difference if I`d worn my "Beat on the brat" T-shirt?

17 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I was once persuaded to have a go at crown green bowls by a regular-playing friend who ought to have been young enough to know better. And he made me look a complete fool - lot harder than it looked. 

Would it have made all the difference if I`d worn my "Beat on the brat" T-shirt?

I once bowled what I thought was the best crown green bowl ever bowled. Unfortunately it took at turn.

On 09/09/2020 at 07:37, bobbruce said:

By 2070 SL tv coverage will start with at least an hr dedicated to Phil Clarke’s outfit that week. All game analyst will be gone as John Wells uses the touch screen to take a look at Phil’s latest caftan and Cuban heels combo. 

Still Carpe Diem after a try though. Can't mess with tradition.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived