Oldest ever player?

Rambo

Anyone know who is the oldest player to ever play for Dewsbury and conversely the youngest?

Before anyone asks I don’t know the answer to either but just interested.

I’d imagine Paul Sykes won’t be far away if he “goes around again”

rambo.gif

I think Jeff Grayshon was 44 or 45 when finally stopped playing. Sykes has a few years to go yet.

Youngest - There have been a few 17 year olds, Shaun Edward's, Lee Crooks and Gary Schofield. I'm not sure how old Scott Moore was, but I thought he was the youngest, but not sure.

37 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I think Jeff Grayshon was 44 or 45 when finally stopped playing. Sykes has a few years to go yet.

Youngest - There have been a few 17 year olds, Shaun Edward's, Lee Crooks and Gary Schofield. I'm not sure how old Scott Moore was, but I thought he was the youngest, but not sure.

The oldest and youngest to play for Dewsbury.

Vic Hey, anyone?

And how old was Mick Murphy when he made his brief comeback for us?

Just to add that this should be restricted to the first team - I suspect that there will have been occasions when a coach may have turned out for the A team in the old days.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Youngest - reckon it's between Nathan Graham and Nigel Stephenson.

Oldest - think Bob Haigh might be in with a shout. Was he 38/39 when he played in the same side as Mark?

Don’t think you’ll be far off there. How old were Bernard Watson and Tony Halmshaw when they came to Dewsbury? Also John Maloney?

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Youngest - reckon it's between Nathan Graham and Nigel Stephenson.

Oldest - think Bob Haigh might be in with a shout. Was he 38/39 when he played in the same side as Mark?

Paul Sykes is already 39.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

14 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

well he was 3 years above me at school ... so I guess he is around 70 now .. which makes him 33 in 1983!!

He last played for us in 1986, so 36 then.

23 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Vic Hey, anyone?

And how old was Mick Murphy when he made his brief comeback for us?

Just to add that this should be restricted to the first team - I suspect that there will have been occasions when a coach may have turned out for the A team in the old days.

Just checking and Vic Hey was 37, Mick Murphy was 38 and Joe Lyman was 36 when they last played for us.

Charlie Seeling was 39 when he played his last game in 1946.

On 08/09/2020 at 19:56, DOGFATHER said:

I think Jeff was 47 when he finally hung up his boots.

The oldest professional RL player in history.

Until BSJ comes out of retirement...

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

16 hours ago, Sir Jekyll Stocking said:

I think Jeff was 47 when he finally hung up his boots.

The oldest professional RL player in history.

Until BSJ comes out of retirement...

I never retired from professional RL though SJS.

On 10/09/2020 at 09:05, graham fisher said:

Don’t think you’ll be far off there. How old were Bernard Watson and Tony Halmshaw when they came to Dewsbury? Also John Maloney?

Just checked a couple of websites and Bob Haigh retired in 1980 so would have been 36/37. Mick Anastasio Murphy would have been 38 when he played at Dewsbury.

53 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I never retired from professional RL though SJS.

Then your just what Dewsbury Rams are looking for...

40+ cheap and no understanding of the modern game!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

19 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Thought was the qualification to be Batley coach.

No, we have no age restrictions

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Archived