Interview with Andrew Abdo

For those with Watch NRL the NRL 360 show of 8 September has a great interview with the new NRL CEO, Andrew Abdo. He come across as a top bloke and one who can take the sport forward. 

He seems to be well respected by many over there. 

Would that SL had that kind of quality. 

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Bean counter, isn’t he? I think we can tell who does the vision thing in Australian RL.

Difference is that he has a big hitter in V'landys alongside him as chairman. A bit like when Lewis was calling the shots and Wood counting the beans at the RFL. Don't put the bean counter anywhere near progression.

It all comes down to who will support news Ltd interests....if they do they will get a free ride from the media e.g. V'landys if not they will be crucified until they resign e.g..Smith

Refer to the biggest dud who was never criticised by the media in gallop ex news Ltd lawyer held the reins for 10 years.

16 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Bean counter, isn’t he? I think we can tell who does the vision thing in Australian RL.

Yes Vlandy`s got the vision thing covered.

Don`t know whether I can ever really trust a South African, you have to think at heart he would be a union man.

Gould didn`t want him ,kept on making remarks it the media a couple of months ago when he was appointed `interim` CEO, that we need someone with `skin in the game` i.e. someone with league affinities. Anyway we`ll give him a chance.

As someone who like both Union and League (and now plays thanks to Masters) I'm always struck by that kind of comment. Abdo said in the interview he's been in Australia for what 7 years now, and liking League was part of 'becoming Australian'. I don't doubt that to run the sport effectively you need to understand it but the sport also needs to embrace some outside thinking. Similar to Union in SA, League in Australia is the big dog; ratings, attendances, money. He'll understand that well enough.

I thought he spoke well and had his head screwed on by embracing expansion without rushing into any promises on it.

Archived