Something light hearted

Phil

I reckon some one should start a thread or maybe this one where anyone can put down a short funny anecdote about RL. Be it players coaches etc something funny you have seen or heard. I`ll throw this one out there:

Chris Anderson, Kangaroos Coach, remember him had a heart attack in the grandstand during deciding Test in 2001( that`s not the joke) used to say every 30 man squad should have 4 frontrowers and at least one of them should be suspended at any one time otherwise they were not doing their job properly. That`s the spirit !

I was playing in a cup final with my college team.

Before the game the referee was explaining how the result would be decided in the event of a draw.

"Firstly, it's the team that has scored the most tries and if that is tied then the team that scored first wins".

Our front rower pipes up

"Why don't we just say the team that scores the most points wins?"

He wasn't the sharpest.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

There must be hundreds of funny/amusing stories out there: I`ll throw up another one to keep the ball rolling.

In the early `80`s I had a summer job at a Wet `n` Wild type theme park in western Sydney. I used to sit on a chair above a big drum of water and the customers would throw a ball at an about saucer sized target and if they hit it I would drop about a metre and a half into the water with a big splash. Much mirth all round and you never knew when it was coming. It was surprisingly hard to hit though and a lot of people were just flat out hopeless. I used to yell out things like `you`re throwing with the wrong hand !` and `three misses for a dollar !`.

Any way one day I`m sitting there (real grumpy like) and down this long path that led down to it, came this big crowd of kids, there must have been 30 of them, some running backwards ,jumping up and down and in the middle of them was one P. Sterling. A big kid himself, only weeks before Parra had just one their first Premiership, anyway he comes over to the `dunking chair` and I said to kid handing out the balls `give one to Sterlo for free`, He gets ball sizes the target up and bang one shot and I was in, the kids all went crazy and off he went. I didn`t mind getting dunked for Sterlo.

Some years ago when Coventry were regularly trouncing some local rivals by 100 points. We arrived at the home teams ground to find the dressing rooms were locked. I went over to speak to our hosts who were not looking forward to the encounter.

Meanwhile the Bears players stripped off behind the closed building. They started to  emerge from behind the building and made their way onto the pitch.

One of the hosts said " look the Bears have got changed, I wonder how they got in?"

One of his mates replied " I bet one of them ate the door"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

When playing against a lower league team in a cup competition many years ago. I had to visit the gents pre-match, on arrival at the communal urinals I joined 2 of our opposing team players. Our rather large prop forward had just left. One of our opposition players then commented to his team mate "Cant see much for us today , that mon who just left had muscles in his bloody face !!!"

When the RFL belatedly decided to issue winners medals to the last GB Team to win the World Cup, Terry Clawson received a call from a young lady at the RFL. The conversation went as follows: "Is that Mr Terrry Clawson?" "Yes speaking". "I am from the Rugby Football League. Did you ever play in a game and didn't receive a medal?" "Loads love".

15 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

When the RFL belatedly decided to issue winners medals to the last GB Team to win the World Cup, Terry Clawson received a call from a young lady at the RFL. The conversation went as follows: "Is that Mr Terrry Clawson?" "Yes speaking". "I am from the Rugby Football League. Did you ever play in a game and didn't receive a medal?" "Loads love".

Very good.

Once went to a seven a side tournament in Milton Keynes. The tournament took place on 4 fields (such was the attendance) and lasted most of the day. We turned up with 9 blokes, one of which was our prop forward, 5 feet 9 inches tall and 17 and a half stones in weight.

Let's just say he wasn't the archetypal sevens player.

Near the end of the day, the final was played and (fair play) all the other teams players and their supporters stayed on to watch. It was quite a crowd. We lost the toss and they decided to receive the ball.

Just before the ref blew his whistle to start the game, there was a hush in the crowd and one small voice said ''Run at the fat bast..rd''. I said to my brother ''Did you hear that Dan?'' ''Yes he said'' as we both looked across at our number 8, his head bowed in a classic pose we'd seen many times before. We kicked off and their receiver (a real crowd-pleaser) ran straight at our number 8.

It took 40 minutes to restart the match, after the ambulance had carried this poor chap off to the infirmary.

Just before the ref blew his whistle to indicate time on again, a hush fell over the crowd and the same little voice was heard to say

''Don't run at the fat bast..d''

When I used to take photos at Fev, an old chap used to stand behind me and we'd used to chat as the game went on. 

Absolutely smashing bloke, would watch Fev at home one week, then Trinity at home the next, 

In one game, Fev scored a try in a close game, he celebrated that hard his false teeth fell out and onto the pitch they went.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Another gem from Terry Clawson. He saw Mick Morgan while the pre Super League Mergers were being proposed. He asked Mick, "Michael, is it true that they are trying to get Castleford, Featherstone and Wakefield to join together as one Club?" "That's correct Terry," said Mick. "No chance, that lot wouldn't join hands to sing Auld Lang Syne" replied Terry!

Archived