SL in 10 years

Eddie

16 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

"Well son, they were driven out of town, and replaced by teams from good old Uncle Sam, who, make no mistake, showed those good for nothing Brits how great our country is. God bless America!"

Why are you and @Number 16 having conversations with imaginary children?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

North America can condense more than 120 years of infrastructure into 10 or so years as some people think they can, impossible.

If there’s anywhere that could do it then it’s North America, given the sheer number of sporty, talented youngsters, however it’s highly unlikely because

1. The sheer amount of money required would be staggering, no one would ever be crazy enough to try it.

2. Even if someone were to try, I can’t see the established NA sports just idly sitting by and letting it happen, and all of these sports are very rich and very powerful, plus culturally they will always be more attractive to the local kids. Even soccer, with its untold millions has struggled to establish more than a few footholds, usually by appealing to immigrant families where soccer was their established sport.

RU has been in Canada for over 100 years, apart from sevens it’s still seen as a niche sport played predominantly for fun. Only the really dedicated kids make it to pro, until MLR that meant moving abroad. A huge amount of money is being spent on MLR, maybe it will work, most likely it won’t. Perhaps the answer, if we do want NA teams in SL, is to require them to set up an academy in a part of the UK or France which for one reason or another is unlikely to ever get a SL team  but has a pool of local youngsters (thinking Cumbria, South Wales, Avignon), then for them to scout for Canadian/American youngsters in high school RU competitions and offer the best a place in that academy, that way you could get a few North Americans plus provide an outlet for young Cumbrian, Welsh or French talent. However once again we are talking about a serious monetary investment.

4 hours ago, Oldbear said:

If there’s anywhere that could do it then it’s North America, given the sheer number of sporty, talented youngsters, however it’s highly unlikely because

1. The sheer amount of money required would be staggering, no one would ever be crazy enough to try it.

2. Even if someone were to try, I can’t see the established NA sports just idly sitting by and letting it happen, and all of these sports are very rich and very powerful, plus culturally they will always be more attractive to the local kids. Even soccer, with its untold millions has struggled to establish more than a few footholds, usually by appealing to immigrant families where soccer was their established sport.

RU has been in Canada for over 100 years, apart from sevens it’s still seen as a niche sport played predominantly for fun. Only the really dedicated kids make it to pro, until MLR that meant moving abroad. A huge amount of money is being spent on MLR, maybe it will work, most likely it won’t. Perhaps the answer, if we do want NA teams in SL, is to require them to set up an academy in a part of the UK or France which for one reason or another is unlikely to ever get a SL team  but has a pool of local youngsters (thinking Cumbria, South Wales, Avignon), then for them to scout for Canadian/American youngsters in high school RU competitions and offer the best a place in that academy, that way you could get a few North Americans plus provide an outlet for young Cumbrian, Welsh or French talent. However once again we are talking about a serious monetary investment.

God only knows when - if - high school sports resume in this country. Or university sports for that matter.

Leigh will be a shoe in after taking the West Lancs franchise via the platform of Sporting Club Manchester United. The new club Leigh United of Manchester will be the most cashed up in the world, with a loud fart of a top Premiership player blowing away the current cap. The attraction of becoming part of Sporting club Man U being the pull that ensures the best from down under migrate to the extended Sports Village, now 28,000 capacity and a 5 year wait for a season ticket - now where's me meds?

6 hours ago, TIWIT said:

God only knows when - if - high school sports resume in this country. Or university sports for that matter.

There is a proposed 6 team University football comp planned at Laval for May 2021, all teams quarantined on campus for the duration of the comp, beyond that there’s nothing planned and even that comp is subject to us not catching a second wave this winter, if that happens then yes God only knows.

On 11/09/2020 at 08:24, gingerjon said:

I suspect you're right. Which tells you all you need to know about what state rugby league will be in.

It tells me that no matter how much is spent or how many pro clubs spring up in North America they will not contribute to player pool, they will remain to be a drain on the player resources that already exist.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It tells me that no matter how much is spent or how many pro clubs spring up in North America they will not contribute to player pool, they will remain to be a drain on the player resources that already exist.

One man's drain is a full squad's opportunity to be paid to play rugby.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10yrs we will still have Leigh fans using the player pool as a stick to beat expansion whilst continuing to use the excuses of other clubs pinching their young talent and it's just too hard to excuse their own failings in that department.

Also the general TWP thread will have reached 1.5 million posts which will be exactly the same as the first 10.

19 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

So they would presumably then merge. Wigan vs Bath won't just be a memory from 1996.

SL will sell a major stake to CVC who will then merge both codes to  start to challenge soccer as the only contact  team sport with worldwide appeal.........

19 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

They have won 3 CC been in 5 cc final 4GF finals and 2 LLs, so its not beyond them being capable. 

I assume it's Fev you are talking about? There's also two other factors that might help them?

First of all, the new prospective stadiums for Cas and Wakey that the local council bent over backwards to help with will never be built due to the economic downturn after covid, leaving Fev with the only decent ground in the district.

Secondly, as more overseas clubs enter Super League, Wakey will lose their place, and maybe Cas too? Finally Wakefield council will have to play fair with Fev and move the scrubland they own out of the green belt, and overnight Fev will become one of the only clubs with no debt and millions in the bank.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

10yrs we will still have Leigh fans using the player pool as a stick to beat expansion whilst continuing to use the excuses of other clubs pinching their young talent and it's just too hard to excuse their own failings in that department.

Also the general TWP thread will have reached 1.5 million posts which will be exactly the same as the first 10.

Eh! I have only ever discussed the player pool in respect of NA clubs, nowhere else at all.

Please point me in the direction of accusing other clubs from 'pinching' our young talent, that is a new one on me Dav.

PS I saw the emoji you placed were I said NA clubs will be a drain on the player resources, please tell me that I am wrong and how in your opinion it will not be so?

There is an interesting adage that I subscribe to that things change much less than you would expect in the short term but much more than you would expect in the long term.

So bringing two threads together, I think Super League in 10 years will be almost identical to today but the sport in 70 years will be unrecognisable from what it is today.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

In 10 years Super League and its fans still won't have made up it's mind if wants to be:

A competition of professional clubs doing everything they can to build a strong team to win the competition. 

Or

A competition of representative teams assembling the best their city has to offer, with winning secondary to where the players are from.

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

There is an interesting adage that I subscribe to that things change much less than you would expect in the short term but much more than you would expect in the long term.

So bringing two threads together, I think Super League in 10 years will be almost identical to today but the sport in 70 years will be unrecognisable from what it is today.

In 70 years time the Health and Safety Executive with those faceless people who sit behind their desks thinking up things to substansiate their existance have had their way I believe full contact sports will have been sanitised into submission, and as you quite rightly state will be unrecognisable from today or even could be a thing of the past.

On 12/09/2020 at 01:06, Harry Stottle said:

I sort of partly agree, although I do think that if the money is spent, then NA could contribute to the player pool, my issue is that the amount of money required to do that would make Argyles losses look like chicken feed and I honestly don’t see anyone making that kind of commitment, whereas they would for established NA sports.

Where will SL be in ten years? Or where will it be in the not too distant future.

For a start things aren't looking too good.

I think(and I hope I'm wrong)there will be a big drop  off in attendances when SL returns.If that happens, it should take care of a number of SL clubs who only make up the numbers and can't afford to  be there.

Further damage could be done depending how  they handle the WPs application to take back their position in the League.

New blood is required because the competition has grown stale.

Archived