Sat 12 Sept: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 5pm (UKTime) (TV)

Who will win?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Catalans Dragons
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/09/20 at 16:30

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Care to expand on that.

Apologies to all members of the WDL.

My dreams and reality are far apart.

As you were.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan have turned up and done an efficient job.

If Catalans had shewn some of their recent form, we'd have had a far better match and a livelier, noisier atmosphere. As it is, it sounds more muted than the canned applause we get back in England without crowds. 

Still, we've had our fair share of 1-point thrillers this weekend, and there's still the CC match to come.

I had to miss the first half and only parts of the second, but efficient sounds like a fair summary.  It seems it was very hot, especially in the first half which contributed to it looking a bit slow(?), and may be humid?  But Catalan made too many errors I think.  Wigan managed to get their passes away when it counted. But did not seem to make a lot of yardage up the middle.  I think that game was a banana skin waiting to happen, and glad Wigan avoided it.

10 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I know but he blew penalties he could have used six again but it's the refs call I suppose 

No he didn’t. The penalties given were for offences that aren’t six again. Not every offence is six again

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Strange how loads of people rave about the BBC's early challenge cup rounds then isn't it.

you expect it at an amateur game not in the super duper league

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

It was one of the best Wigan performances of the season. While it's true that Catalans may have been affected by the enforced isolation period there were times where they had so much sustained pressure and it would have been understandable if Wigan had cracked. Instead Wigan responded with good sets and clinical passing that created tries.

The Catalans forwards looked dominant down the middle for a lot of the game but that was only to be expected. Sam Powell was the best player on the field and I think one of the big differences between the sides was Wigan having the intelligent play of Powell whereas Da Costa was poor for Catalans.

With Burgess only capable of playing about 10 minutes because of his hip injury and Bullock going off after his first spell with a suspected broken hand, Wigan lacked big, powerful, hard driving forwards in the middle but credit must go to the smaller forwards who toughed it out. Havard was strong, Partington worked tirelessly. Farrell ended up playing about 60 minutes down the middle and aided the defence massively. I also think Joe Shorrocks deserves a lot of credit. He's a lightweight back rower who ended up playing at prop and his defending made a big difference. 

Catalans can play a lot better without a doubt and I'm sure they'll bounce back. Wigan will find it tough next week though I'm sure.

I gave this my best shot but Catalans looked like a group of people meeting each other for the first time.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

30 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Leg pull at the play the ball? Markers not square? Is offside not six again in Oz? 

Offside is a penalty. Markers not square is a penalty. Today’s referee gave six again and the penalties in line with the laws of the game

A penalty is a bigger punishment than six again

5 hours ago, barnyia said:

So six again is just for holding down at the play the ball then? 

You're correct, in Australia a leg pull and markers not square are given as 6-again. General offside is a penalty still. I'm going to assume the directives may be different in SL based off that game. Initially in Aus markers not square was still a penalty but that was changed after a few rounds to become a 6-again offence.

Catalans looked exactly as you'd expect a side that hasn't been training and has half their spine out to look, simply unable to convert good field position and the whole side ran far too many cold lines all game. In saying that Wigan's defence was immense, covered Cats perfectly for the majority of the game and never allowed any extra space to be found. Powell easily MOTM - Brilliant kicking game out of dummy-half and brought forwards onto the ball nicely.

14 hours ago, LeeF said:

Offside is a penalty. Markers not square is a penalty. Today’s referee gave six again and the penalties in line with the laws of the game

A penalty is a bigger punishment than six again

Is markers not square a penalty in SL ? It’s a restart now in the NRL

2 hours ago, barnyia said:

Maybe the coaches don't mind taking the risk  as the réf blowing a penalty gives them a rest and set defensive line? 

Messing around at the PTB doesn’t result in a penalty but a six again unless the referee decides too many repeated infringements in which case it is penalty and a sin bin which has been seen twice this weekend

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is markers not square a penalty in SL ? It’s a restart now in the NRL

Markers not square is technically offside.  To be honest it’s sometimes difficult to tell on Sky as they tend to rabbit on about something else and call out the incorrect infringement nine times out of ten 

From the BBC

Under the 'six again' rule, any offence in the tackle other than foul play - such as lying on in the tackle or interfering at the play-the-ball - would lead to the referee resetting the six tackle count back to zero, rather than giving a penalty.

16 hours ago, barnyia said:

OK thanks, but there seems to be less penalties /stoppages in the aussie game. 

They've had longer to get used to the new rule, and you are now likely to see more messing about in tackle 1 or 2 than tackle 5.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Too be honest I found the game was a bit like watching a union game... note the word bit.

Lots of long kicking and then long runs returning the ball... lots of penalties/set restart a bit like continuous union play... of course Wigans goal line defence really good... but helped by penalties at crucial times for Catalan thus disrupting what was already a poor attack fro Catalan

Wigan really good when they decided to run and pass it...

Hope all teams don't adapt the same long kicking game in Catalan...

It was a good tactic from Wigan due to their generally smaller pack. Burgess is playing injured, Bullock went off with an injury, Flower suspended, Clubb injured, O'Loughlin injured. The young guys who stepped gave it all but couldn't make yards down the middle. The long kicking game seemed the right tactics for that particular game given the players available and what looked liked extreme heat.

Wigan could play those same tactics v Hull though against a much bigger team. 

Archived