another super league team to go belly up ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No such thing as a 24 hour clock RP, not one digital clock has ever displayed 24:00 hours, they get to 23:59 and it then clicks over to 00:00. 

Just saying.

Did you ever get your head round the fact that we're in the twenty-first century and yet all the years start 20XX ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, Eddie said:

Another thread with sly digs about Gledhill. He’s a rugby league enthusiast who tells people what he can find out, if you don’t want to listen to him or read his articles then don’t but I don’t understand why so many people are so unpleasant about him. 

Yep, there's far more tripe on these pages.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Most certainly Ginger one, do you remember David Gower and his take on when this millennium actually started, was he correct?

I remember David Gower. Cricket fella. No idea what his views on the millennium are or were, nor how that relates to you being confused that a twenty-four hour clock covers twenty-four hours.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 10/09/2020 at 14:37, paul hicks said:

last night for my sins I listened to the full 80 hosted by mick Gledhill. in the 31st min he came out with the comment that there was another superleague club teetering on the verge of going belly up but would not name that club.

anyone know if there's any truth in his statement as he seemed pretty sure about it. 

St. Helens.

21 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Any club unable to cover a £million plus loss is in trouble

I know a chap who's a director of a National League North soccer team and he told me that they need £1million+ income a year through sponsorship, crowds food sales, beer sales on match days and events in the club house to break even, and he tells me they are not the biggest payers of wages in that league and to think that's the 6th tier of soccer.

3 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I know a chap who's a director of a National League North soccer team and he told me that they need £1million+ income a year through sponsorship, crowds food sales, beer sales on match days and events in the club house to break even, and he tells me they are not the biggest payers of wages in that league and to think that's the 6th tier of soccer.

The money in lower league football is beyond ridiculous.  Though as Salford has shown, it get results. (sometimes) 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The money in lower league football is beyond ridiculous.  Though as Salford has shown, it get results. (sometimes) 

YES ITS MADNESS our budget at little old Beckenham Town (Step 6) was £ 2K a week last season (This season 50% less thank god:) however there is one team in our division with a £5K a week budget.

We have had players wanting 500 pounds a week to sign problem is with football some of the players (Due to so many imports) are playing 3/4 divisions below what they would have been 20 years ago.

Last 2 seasons we have had 1 ex Cardiff City player 1 Ex Leeds United and an ex captain of Swindon Town playing for little old us crazy:)

1 minute ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

YES ITS MADNESS our budget at little old Beckenham Town (Step 6) was £ 2K a week last season (This season 50% less thank god:) however there is one team in our division with a £5K a week budget.

We have had players wanting 500 pounds a week to sign problem is with football some of the players (Due to so many imports) are playing 3/4 divisions below what they would have been 20 years ago.

Last 2 seasons we have had 1 ex Cardiff City player 1 Ex Leeds United and an ex captain of Swindon Town playing for little old us crazy:)

Wow. That’s ridiculous money for that level. My local team are at the same level and only pay expenses.

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wow. That’s ridiculous money for that level. My local team are at the same level and only pay expenses.

I agree problem is the FA and their stupid pyramid system (In our league the top 5/6 teams would finish in the top 5/6 in the division above) we don't want to be in this mad system we would rather be in a traditional Kent League currently we play Deal/Chatham/Sheppey/Canterbury/Tunbridge Wells etc in the division above we have teams like Faversham/Whitstable/Herne Bay/Ramsgate/Sittingbourne/Ashford etc 

Put that all together and its a really strong Kent league with plenty of local derbies.

Boxing Day/Easter can easily attract 1000 to some of the local derbies.

We are what we are and have no interest on anything above the level above Kent league plenty of local derbies is great.

12 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Wow and that's in the 9th tier of the soccer pyramid.

A club who's wages are £5K a week can not sustain that for any length of time at that level unless they have a very rich sugar daddy bankrolling them. 

14 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Yes, Champ clubs are rolling in cash - no wages and full sky, merchandise, sponsorship and ST cash in the till. Loadsa money

He said that clubs need to be able to withstand a £1M loss. I know you don't like detail sweaty but few Championship clubs have that scale of expenditure.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 10/09/2020 at 09:41, Hela Wigmen said:

Mick Gledhill you say? That should tell you all you need to know. 

Mick Gledhill, whose real name is Michael Gled Hill, is the abandoned son of the late Benny Hill.

That explains everything.

Just to add that the figures cited for non league football are not representative of all clubs.

I know the people who run a side in the same division as Beckenham. Town. Two years ago their wage budget was £65/week. It was similar last year.  Another side in that league used to claim they were amateur, not sure if that's still the case as the set up there changed a while back.

Other friends run a Conference South team, they had their highest ever budget last season and came in under a million. Their budget is substantially smaller this year due to the situation re-admitting fans 

There's usually someone chasing the dream in an unsustainable way, irrespective of what the sport is. Unfortunately Covid will leave some of those teams very vulnerable if the backer walks away.

48 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Just to add that the figures cited for non league football are not representative of all clubs.

I know the people who run a side in the same division as Beckenham. Town. Two years ago their wage budget was £65/week. It was similar last year.  Another side in that league used to claim they were amateur, not sure if that's still the case as the set up there changed a while back.

Other friends run a Conference South team, they had their highest ever budget last season and came in under a million. Their budget is substantially smaller this year due to the situation re-admitting fans 

There's usually someone chasing the dream in an unsustainable way, irrespective of what the sport is. Unfortunately Covid will leave some of those teams very vulnerable if the backer walks away.

yes, we'll see who has been swimming naked when the tide goes out

1 hour ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

I wish that was our budget (In fact I wish we were amateur) 6 seasons ago we were however it was impossible to attract the right players.

2/3 teams  can actually sustain the budget through gates and sponsorship so good luck to them.

Archived