Why on earth....

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I suspect seeing as Sky have paid for exclusive rights, they think they should get exclusive rights. If people can watch SL for free then why would Sky keep paying us for exclusive rights? 

I'm talking about maybe 1 fixture out of a fortnight so at the moment 1 in 10

NRL do it, cricket starting it again, RU Premiership do it and even Soccer Premiership doing it

Can't imagine any existing fan is going to cancel Sky if 1 fixture out of 10 is free? 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm talking about maybe 1 fixture out of a fortnight so at the moment 1 in 10

NRL do it, cricket starting it again, RU Premiership do it and even Soccer Premiership doing it

Can't imagine any existing fan is going to cancel Sky if 1 fixture out of 10 is free? 

I think Union pay channel 5 to show the games? May be mistaken but I’m sure I read that, if so I can’t imagine SL paying anyone to do anything. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think Union pay channel 5 to show the games? May be mistaken but I’m sure I read that, if so I can’t imagine SL paying anyone to do anything. 

Unsure whether union pay or not, but the key thing is that neither union's deal with BT, nor cricket's deal with Sky has been affected by the governing body asking for as very slight weakening of exclusivity so a small handful of games are on terrestrial. I think the pay-TV broadcasters recognise that it benefits them to have a bit of wider exposure.

True, the Challenge Cup is on BBC, but IMO Superleague is the better product overall, and it would be good to see some of that on terrestrial. In principle, I'd say Sky are more open to that now than they previously were.             

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Indeed, a bit of national exposure would do wonders for the game, like it did in the 80s. 

For those with better memories than me, how many league games were shown on Grandstand in the 80s? I remember internationals, Challenge Cup, Regal Trophy and the premiership, but did they actually show any of the core league? 

Currently, in a normal year, we might have 7 CC games and 3 internationals on BBC, so maybe not that far off what we used to have?  

11 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Unsure whether union pay or not, but the key thing is that neither union's deal with BT, nor cricket's deal with Sky has been affected by the governing body asking for as very slight weakening of exclusivity so a small handful of games are on terrestrial. I think the pay-TV broadcasters recognise that it benefits them to have a bit of wider exposure.

True, the Challenge Cup is on BBC, but IMO Superleague is the better product overall, and it would be good to see some of that on terrestrial. In principle, I'd say Sky are more open to that now than they previously were.             

Channel 5 and the Premiership already had a deal to show live games. Cricket was meant to be on the BBC this year but The Hundred was cancelled. The soccer that has been on FTA are games that are not covered by any pre-existing broadcast deal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

For those with better memories than me, how many league games were shown on Grandstand in the 80s? I remember internationals, Challenge Cup, Regal Trophy and the premiership, but did they actually show any of the core league? 

Currently, in a normal year, we might have 7 CC games and 3 internationals on BBC, so maybe not that far off what we used to have?  

From memory, the BBC would show a match per round from both the Regal Trophy and the Challenge Cup - possibly only the later stages of both though. Not always in full, so you might get highlights of the first half before the second half was shown live (and then you might get cut away from the rugby so the football results could be read out). Plus most GB home internationals. I don't remember them ever showing actual league games - although they did show the Premiership Final (in much the same way as they covered the Regal Trophy).

Regional ITV very occasionally showed league rugby. But I don't think they did at all after about 1989.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

In a normal year (as of recently), we get at least one match from every single round of the CC. Okay, the early rounds would be streamed rather than broadcast, but still a great opportunity to see some of the grassroots clubs in action.

Then, on top of the Super League Show's weekly package of brief highlights, much more extended highlights of the playoffs/GF have also been shown on the BBC.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

In my mind (which is probably wrong as I was very young in the early 80s) there was a game on every week, but maybe there wasn’t. Hopefully one of the older chaps can enlighten us. 

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In a normal year (as of recently), we get at least one match from every single round of the CC. Okay, the early rounds would be streamed rather than broadcast, but still a great opportunity to see some of the grassroots clubs in action.

Then, on top of the Super League Show's weekly package of brief highlights, much more extended highlights of the playoffs/GF have also been shown on the BBC.

The Super League show is definitely regional, ie it’s not on BBC East, though of course is available to stream. I also find it a bit dull, too much talking and not enough action. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

The Super League show is definitely regional, ie it’s not on BBC East, though of course is available to stream. I also find it a bit dull, too much talking and not enough action. 

The initial broadcast is regional, then it is repeated nationally the next day as well as being available to stream. The current repeat slot has moved from Tuesday lunchtime to Tuesday morning. Not great scheduling, and not something they'd do to any other sport, but it is there.

Sometimes it also turns up on the red button in the evening, but that's not every week.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The initial broadcast is regional, then it is repeated nationally the next day as well as being available to stream. The current repeat slot has moved from Tuesday lunchtime to Tuesday morning. Not great scheduling, and not something they'd do to any other sport, but it is there.

Sometimes it also turns up on the red button in the evening, but that's not every week.

Ah right, Tuesday morning - that explains why I didn’t think it was on here! 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s an okay format but nothing more. Even as a fan, it doesn’t really excite me and make me want to watch week in, week out. 

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s an okay format but nothing more. Even as a fan, it doesn’t really excite me and make me want to watch week in, week out. 

The highlights are brief - just the tries, usually. In the middle of the programme, they usually have a feature item. However, this excerpt is usually available separately on the BBC site, so you don't need to watch the whole SLS.

The main purpose is to give you a look at the matches that aren't televised live. Currently, this is not much of a draw, as Sky have been showing all matches since lockdown in this unique season. But in more normal times, you may want to watch your club in action, even if it is just a couple of minutes' coverage.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

In my mind (which is probably wrong as I was very young in the early 80s) there was a game on every week, but maybe there wasn’t. Hopefully one of the older chaps can enlighten us. 

Do remember watching the second half only of games on Grandstand. But in those days I would have been watching Five Nations also, and didn't know the difference. Probably thought it was normal.

Anyway, less of the old!😤😁

1 minute ago, doc said:

Do remember watching the second half only of games on Grandstand. But in those days I would have been watching Five Nations also, and didn't know the difference. Probably thought it was normal.

Anyway, less of the old!😤😁

Less adolescently challenged?

22 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The highlights are brief - just the tries, usually. In the middle of the programme, they usually have a feature item. However, this excerpt is usually available separately on the BBC site, so you don't need to watch the whole SLS.

The main purpose is to give you a look at the matches that aren't televised live. Currently, this is not much of a draw, as Sky have been showing all matches since lockdown in this unique season. But in more normal times, you may want to watch your club in action, even if it is just a couple of minutes' coverage.

In normal times I wouldn’t really watch either. Especially since the introduction of Saints TV, who show in depth highlights of all games, televised or not. It’s unusual as well that I want to see two minutes of tries from a game that isn’t televised either and I imagine that club run channels, like we have at Saints, Wigan have and I imagine a couple of other of the ten UK based sides have too, will have an effect on viewership. It’s not important to the BBC and they won’t do it but I’d rather they changed the format somewhat, as we normally have 2-3 games televised a week as it is and you can watch game highlights quite easily these days through Sky or other channels like club run channels or social media. 

28 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

In normal times I wouldn’t really watch either. Especially since the introduction of Saints TV, who show in depth highlights of all games, televised or not. It’s unusual as well that I want to see two minutes of tries from a game that isn’t televised either and I imagine that club run channels, like we have at Saints, Wigan have and I imagine a couple of other of the ten UK based sides have too, will have an effect on viewership. It’s not important to the BBC and they won’t do it but I’d rather they changed the format somewhat, as we normally have 2-3 games televised a week as it is and you can watch game highlights quite easily these days through Sky or other channels like club run channels or social media. 

Agreed, it is just a dull programme. I don’t watch MOTD and I find the presenters by enlarge insufferable, but at least it makes football look like an interesting and exciting product that young people will want to watch. The RL show is blatantly done on the lowest budget possible and offers minimum levels of excitement - I don’t know how it would be possible to package it any more blandly. 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, it is just a dull programme. I don’t watch MOTD and I find the presenters by enlarge insufferable, but at least it makes football look like an interesting and exciting product that young people will want to watch. The RL show is blatantly done on the lowest budget possible and offers minimum levels of excitement - I don’t know how it would be possible to package it any more blandly. 

No need for you to watch MOTD, as Norwich got relegated. Must have made your day that, real chuffed,  now Norwich are not besmirched by being in the greed, filthy lucre league. If only Delia would honour real Norwich fans and volunteer to play in the local leagues,  you could play Fakenham and Wroxham fab!🤣

57 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

No need for you to watch MOTD, as Norwich got relegated. Must have made your day that, real chuffed,  now Norwich are not besmirched by being in the greed, filthy lucre league. If only Delia would honour real Norwich fans and volunteer to play in the local leagues,  you could play Fakenham and Wroxham fab!🤣

I haven’t watched it for years, awful programme. 

6 hours ago, Eddie said:

Yes, not suggesting for free. Sure there is a deal to be done with a terrestrial broadcaster for the Covid period at least where we have tonnes of games televised 

4 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Because Sky wants people to pay it to watch it's content. 

I don't understand why people struggle with the concept that Sky (nor the BBC or any other media) are our PR agency. 

Not suggesting they be our PR agency 

It makes good business sense for SKY

Drum up more fans with a taste then they might want more 

A lot of NRL games are free to air and NRL is going very nicely. 

19 hours ago, dkw said:

Why don't sky give away something for free that they've paid for? 

Well I imagine, over time, it might draw new people in to buy subscriptions.

Thereby increasing their income in future years.

Growth stimulated by marketing to a new audience.

Now where have I heard that one before? 

Archived