Draws

Eddie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem with a draw earned across 80 minutes. Plus Golden Point is usually each team taking turns to barge up the field before attempting a drop goal.

If I wanted to watch that, there's plenty of Rugby Union on TV.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Golden point is dull. It doesn’t provide the drama and we can cope with tied games easily enough. Just bring back draws.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

If it's a draw after 80 minutes the both sides have earned a point I believe. 

Even if the intention is to stay with it, I'd have thought with the workload imposed on players this season, the last thing they'd need would be extra time, especially when it comes to playing 2 games in a week

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Never liked golden point dropgoalathon gimmicky artificial rubbish . Flog yourself for 80 , earn a draw , what’s wrong with that ? League table sport it’s utter tripe to say there must be a winner . A draw is just as intrinsic in league tables . 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

What do you lot think of draws? I like them, and can’t see any reason why there now has to be a winner. Tonight’s result is unfair on HKR imho, they should have earned a point. 

Draws should be a part of sport, when there's a draw it's usually because both teams were the equal and deserve a share of the spoils.

Nothing wrong with a draw, bring them back.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

This rule was yet another example of doing what they do in Australia. As most on here would prefer the result to stand as a draw, it will probably fall on deaf ears with the powers that be.

If enough people say they’d prefer draws I’ll email this link to SL, as an example of what most fans think. Not that it will do any good obviously! 

I like golden point. 

For me tonight would have been an anti climax as a draw. The extra time period is always great viewing and real pressure for the players. 

I am used to them from the Championship, and I prefer the losing side to get 1 point. 

If we have to have golden point then I want to see the losing side earning a point as others have already said although I don't think golden point really adds much anyway, I've not seen one golden point game yet where I've been on the edge of my seat, biting fingernails to the point of bleeding. Since most games that go down to the wire end with a few drop goal attempts anyway it just seems like an extension of that.

A draw adds an extra dimension to the league table and how a team approaches games. Teams going into games knowing they may only need a draw for a certain scenario to happen. It adds another potential layer of tactical play, makes the game a bit more interesting for us rugby league anoraks that like to analyse every aspect and scenario possible in a game. Now it's just, oh so and so need to win. 

Bring back draws, golden point has brought nothing extra to the game, though like I say, I could get on board with it if the losing teams was awarded a point. 

10 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

This rule was yet another example of doing what they do in Australia. As most on here would prefer the result to stand as a draw, it will probably fall on deaf ears with the powers that be.

If you recall GP was introduced into the NRL after the 2002 SOS series ended in a tie with 1 win each and a draw. Queensland were awarded the series as they had won the 2001 series. The resultant rumpus in NSW saw the introduction of GP for all games in season 2003.

Been loved and hated since then. At the end of last season a proposal by the NRL to introduce a system which would not result in a team leaving a drawn match with 0 points was considered. Options were put up but no consensus could be reached so GP continued on in its current form.

I am ambivalent on the issue.

2 hours ago, George Watt said:

If you recall GP was introduced into the NRL after the 2002 SOS series ended in a tie with 1 win each and a draw. Queensland were awarded the series as they had won the 2001 series. The resultant rumpus in NSW saw the introduction of GP for all games in season 2003.

Been loved and hated since then. At the end of last season a proposal by the NRL to introduce a system which would not result in a team leaving a drawn match with 0 points was considered. Options were put up but no consensus could be reached so GP continued on in its current form.

Having it to decide a 3 match series is completely different to a league season though. 

It's rubbish IMO, if you have battled back to force a draw or hold a top team like KR did you should be rewarded somehow rather than being told "well done on that, you get nowt though and you've now got to play another mini game called 'stop-the-drop-goal'"

For me it doesn't add any enjoyment to games at all, i'd much rather come away from a game discussing how it was a point gained or dropped rather than a drop-goal that neutralising everything that went on before.

I'm definitely not a fans of it AT ALL!!

I'm with the rest of you, overtime in regular season matches is a stupid idea.

6 hours ago, George Watt said:

That rumpus was understandable considering that NSW outscored Queensland 68-48 in that 2002 series, but their "solution" was a typical knee-jerk reaction like their arbitrary introduction of the 10 metre rule part way through 1993.  Deciding a drawn series by total points would have been a better option.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

I'm with the rest of you, overtime in regular season matches is a stupid idea.

That rumpus was understandable considering that NSW outscored Queensland 68-48 in that 2003 series, but their "solution" was a typical knee-jerk reaction like their arbitrary introduction of the 10 metre rule part way through 1993.  Deciding a drawn series by total points would have been a better option.

The 68-48 points result was in the 2002 series.

Archived