RL's fastest player XIII

JM2010

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Clark or Damian Cook were going to be my hookers

Last year Jeremy Marshall-King of the Bulldogs was quicker than Cook.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/24/addo-carr-sets-new-nrl-record-as-speedsters-xiii-is-revealed/Amp/

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

My initial 13 until someone tells me otherwise. 

1. Greg Inglis

2. Josh Addo Carr

3. Andrew Ettingshausen

4. Steve Renouf

5. Martin Offiah

6. Danny McGuire

7. Shaun Johnson

8. Luke Thompson

9. Daryl Clark 

10. Adrian Morley

11. Steve Menzies

12. Lee Gilmour

13. Ellery Hanley

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Josh Addo - The Fox

Greg Alexander picked him over Offiah last week if I remember rightly 

Not a chance!

Offiah had a Full next gear that Addo Carr hasn’t got and of course an Ausie would pick another Ausie, they hate the fact that they don’t own every record in Rugby League.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Apollo perellini fastest prop I can remember playing

lee Gilmour for 2nd row

shaun Edwards, Shaun long or Danny McGuire for half back 

Micheal Jackson at Wakefield was the fastest second Row I’ve seen, very closely followed by Rod Reddy the original ‘Rocket’

Bob Lindner at 13

22 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Not a chance!

Offiah had a Full next gear that Addo Carr hasn’t got and of course an Ausie would pick another Ausie, they hate the fact that they don’t own every record in Rugby League.

What we have now that we didn't have in Offiah's day is a way of tracking the top speeds of players on the pitch.

In 2019 Josh Addo-Carr clocked a top speed of 38.5 km/hr in Melbourne's first round game against North Queensland Cowboys.

To put this into context, I don't believe that a player in soccer (top speed 36.9km/hr), American Football (36.6 km/hr) or Union 7's (37 km/hr)  has ever recorded a faster speed on the pitch than Addo-Carr and the only reference I can find in sport of faster speeds is track athletes with Usain Bolt out front with a top speed of  44.72 km/hr as the fastest top speed recorded by a human in 2009 when he set the 100m world record.

I am not saying Addo-Carr is faster than Offiah but he is currently one of the fastest athletes on the planet (in team sports).

(NB the American Footballers have the disadvantage of pads and helmets but they also don't have as much of an aerobic aspect to the sport as the other three so can train exclusively for speed).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Darryl Clark's top speen on the pitch was 35.82 km/hr in 2019.  This beats Jeremy Marshall-King who was the fastest 9 in the NRL last year at 34.3 km/hr (faster than Damien Cook).  I think you would be hard pressed to find a faster hooker than Clark to ever have played the game.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Esene Faimalo could scoot pretty fast for a prop.

I give you Kevin Ward at prop

Colin Clark at hooker.

Geoff Lyon at second row

At wingers, opposite Offiah you have to look at Bill Burgess or Keith Fielding.

We can fit in a young Billy Boston at stand off.

We have seen Mike Gregory go the length of the field for GB wearing a 13.

A fast nr 7... hmmm.  

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Darryl Clark's top speen on the pitch was 35.82 km/hr in 2019.  This beats Jeremy Marshall-King who was the fastest 9 in the NRL last year at 34.3 km/hr (faster than Damien Cook).  I think you would be hard pressed to find a faster hooker than Clark to ever have played the game.

Depends on fastest and over what amount of ground

10 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Depends on fastest and over what amount of ground

Darryl Clark's recorded speed in 2019 would have made him the 5th fastest player in the NRL last year... ahead of Ryan Papenhuyzen and James Tedesco among others.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/24/addo-carr-sets-new-nrl-record-as-speedsters-xiii-is-revealed/Amp/

I would suggest that this is a pretty strong case for him being among the fastest 9's to have played the game.

One from the old days would be diminutive hooker Tommy Harris who played in the 50's and was part of the great Hull FC so -called "Panzer Pack"  in that decade. He also played in an Ashes winning pack.

His scoots from dummy half together with his kicking game and ball distribution would also have made him ideal for the modern game.

Could be a candidate for the smallest 13 too.

Dave chisnall was deceptively fast for a prop saw him chase down john woods, in the past every club had sprinters on the wing, Drummond, Fielding both hit top times in superstars. Wasnt a former sprint champion trialled at leigh I think he was Bailey-Mcdonald. 

Archived