Attending RL Games - Irreparable Broken Habits?

Scubby

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dads gone to church for 75 plus years - until COVID. He was bought up a Catholic but he’s not been able to go to church for the last six months. That’s made him realise he went out of habit rather than belief. He’s not going back. I would be surprised if people watching RL have a similar experience. We chose to go. It’s a sport. Personally I can’t wait to watch the game live. 

I think there will certainly be different habits as people have found more time and money on their hands. That might mean laying out less cash week by week by buying a season ticket and attending less away games. It might be the complete opposite and see more of the country by going to more away games and missing home games in return for family time.

I do have a feeling that the clubs who play on Friday’s might have something of an edge, allowing fans to continue to attend without losing out on any of their new found family time.   

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I went to a non-league football game yesterday. 250 crowd but even at that low level, the smell of fried onions, smoke and wanton abuse of officials will always top streaming and whatnot. We are human beings.

This is really important, going to live sport is more than the game, providing you can give people a safe, enjoyable experience and they can afford to go (not a given considering the number of job losses under the pandemic), then they will be back.

Personally I’ll be back as soon as we are allowed.

I have missed it way more than I thought I would, it’s more than just the game to me, it’s the only time I can truly switch off from everything, for that 2-3 hours everything else going on (running a business, anything going in at home etc) I go to the games on my own and it’s truly the only real ‘me’ time I get, I have missed it greatly.

I will,hopefully one day return to games.

But for me if we are told to wear masks,be in the ground at certain times or else,not to cheer when my team scores a try,be made to unsocially distance and be told that you must stay in your allocated area then I am sorry but I will not be attending.That is not for me.And stuff like this I believe was done at Doncaster racecourse last week.

Basically I want things to return to what they were before this all blew up. A basic human right as far as I am concerned.But with responsible in the main behaviour.

12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I think there will certainly be different habits as people have found more time and money on their hands. That might mean laying out less cash week by week by buying a season ticket and attending less away games. It might be the complete opposite and see more of the country by going to more away games and missing home games in return for family time.

I do have a feeling that the clubs who play on Friday’s might have something of an edge, allowing fans to continue to attend without losing out on any of their new found family time.   

Point about season tickets is interesting. With restrictions on numbers, the priority entry goes to season ticket holders. Clubs have to assume they are attending and include them in their overall allocation - which means if your club is one where the limit is lower than average attendance (say the limit is 400 and the average gate over that) then having an ST is the only way to guarantee getting in.

So, canny clubs, and there must be some in rugby league, really should be pushing season tickets as the only way to ensure being able to go to games.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think there will be a lot of people who will be out the door fast to get to a game the moment they can.. its the social side of things too. Have a beer with people you havent seen for a long time. 

The quicker they can be opened economically and safely the better.. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Point about season tickets is interesting. With restrictions on numbers, the priority entry goes to season ticket holders. Clubs have to assume they are attending and include them in their overall allocation - which means if your club is one where the limit is lower than average attendance (say the limit is 400 and the average gate over that) then having an ST is the only way to guarantee getting in.

So, canny clubs, and there must be some in rugby league, really should be pushing season tickets as the only way to ensure being able to go to games.

I can see the extent of many clubs "pushing" season tickets will be a free club facemask with every season ticket

I've been looking at Facebook Memories to see where I've checked-in in previous years. Has got me pining for away days with the Bears. Can't wait for the next long day out to somewhere like Barrow or Whitehaven. 

Happy to go along with whatever precautions and protections we need to get the show back in the road. 

17 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

I've been looking at Facebook Memories to see where I've checked-in in previous years. Has got me pining for away days with the Bears. Can't wait for the next long day out to somewhere like Barrow or Whitehaven. 

Happy to go along with whatever precautions and protections we need to get the show back in the road. 

Do Coventry (in pre-covid times) get many fans going to away games? 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do Coventry (in pre-covid times) get many fans going to away games? 

There can be half a dozen on the team coach for most games. We get more turning up to support though due to the links our players have with the Heartland - families, friends etc. 

21 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s been a pretty decent uptake in attendances at non-league football level and I can only imagine that there would be a similar effect when people are allowed to attend Rugby League again. 

Could that non-league football increase be explained partly by spectators not being allowed at Premier, Football and National league matches? Some, starved of live football, will now watch anything - even step five, six, seven and eight etc stuff.

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Could that non-league football increase be explained partly by spectators not being allowed at Premier, Football and National league matches? Some, starved of live football, will now watch anything - even step five, six, seven and eight etc stuff.

Quite possibly but I expect similar will happen in Rugby League, regardless of how many leagues have spectators. 

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

I'm chomping at the bit for my rugby and can't wait for it to return. However this would be dependent on the conditions imposed ie masks, I simply don't think I'd be able to enjoy myself wearing one of these whilst watching a game, I struggle just going into a shop for a few minutes. I don't think I'd be on my own with these sentiments. 

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

I'm chomping at the bit for my rugby and can't wait for it to return. However this would be dependent on the conditions imposed ie masks, I simply don't think I'd be able to enjoy myself wearing one of these whilst watching a game, I struggle just going into a shop for a few minutes. I don't think I'd be on my own with these sentiments. 

I hate wearing a mask but if it meant i can go to the rugby I would wear one.

I think they will possibly say you don’t have to wear one when in your seat/designated standing area but do have to in other parts of the ground and when ordering food/drink that would be a sensible compromise 

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

I hate wearing a mask but if it meant i can go to the rugby I would wear one.

I think they will possibly say you don’t have to wear one when in your seat/designated standing area but do have to in other parts of the ground and when ordering food/drink that would be a sensible compromise 

I suppose we'll have to see what happens next season. We can't really say with any degree of certainty what rugby league we'll be coming back to. That's a thing we could all do with at the moment (certainty). I hope upon hope I'll be cheering my team on next season. 

I'll definitely go back. It is a concern that people have got out of the habit of going and into the habit of just watching on TV. We also have an old fan base who are more likely to be cautious about a return to normal activities which could disadvantage us compared to other sports or activites,

Personally I will not return until things are exactly the way they were before this happened.I will not wear a mask at a sports stadium.I will not let them take my temperature.I will not be told where my designated area is going to be.

All or nothing as far as I am concerned.

And I make absolutely no apology for my opinion.

I will not acquiesce to the rules that HM Government want.

And I will find an alternative way of supporting my club.

20 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Personally I will not return until things are exactly the way they were before this happened.I will not wear a mask at a sports stadium.I will not let them take my temperature.I will not be told where my designated area is going to be.

the irony being that if more people acquiesced to the rules that HM Government wanted (and i include employees of HM Government in this) we may well be closer to getting back to normal. Its not an absolute but it certainly wouldn't put us in a worse position!

on a separate note i really dont understand the issue with the masks.. and i do wonder whether this will change when we head into winter, a time when people wear scarves/buff headovers around their faces anyway.. 

get the stadiums open if you can, let me know what i need to do to make sure that i am safe and those around me are safe and i will go and watch again... want to get back to watching live sport.. if we are too far behind other sports i fear we lose supporters to them.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

Gives you even more time to predict impending doom on the game of Rugby League, so at least you’ll be happy. 

Archived