Championship and Championship 1 2021

We have lost this season due to prohibitive costs to these clubs in resuming the season,especially the fact that clubs would have had to pay a big enough 4 figure fee weekly for the testing of their players.

I wonder if given the fact it is unlikely that fans in my opinion will not be allowed back in for some time at minimum and if they are the numbers will be severely reduced,whether or not the clubs outside of Super League will be able to afford to resume next year?

And let’s also throw into the mix that many or most players in these divisions are part time,would their employers turn around and say we are not going to allow you to be a semi professional part time rugby league player and work for us... and I dare say that they would if they choose to they would have every right to insist on that.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No fans , no point in playing , it really is that simple 

Yes, RL was established as a spectator sport after all.

More pertinently, how long might it be before owners/chairmen decide to simply throw in the towel?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

We have lost this season due to prohibitive costs to these clubs in resuming the season,especially the fact that clubs would have had to pay a big enough 4 figure fee weekly for the testing of their players.

I wonder if given the fact it is unlikely that fans in my opinion will not be allowed back in for some time at minimum and if they are the numbers will be severely reduced,whether or not the clubs outside of Super League will be able to afford to resume next year?

And let’s also throw into the mix that many or most players in these divisions are part time,would their employers turn around and say we are not going to allow you to be a semi professional part time rugby league player and work for us... and I dare say that they would if they choose to they would have every right to insist on that.

I don't understand why you think fans won't be back. Assuming there is no major second wave (I know, but assume it) then there's no reason at all that lower level rugby league can't return on much the same basis as non league soccer.

In respect of which there have been several thousand matches played over the past couple of weeks with crowds - and the numbers allowed are going up.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I didn't say it wasn't fair , I said it isn't viable financially

I agree it’s not financially viable but it’s not fair in the FT clubs not playing. We should have a division of clubs outside SL who are FT and/or aspire to be FT 

14 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

We don’t. We have some FT clubs in the Championship, some that aspire to play SL and be FT ie Fev and the rest are PT like Batley. 

I think a lot depends on whether these clubs get the support at the turnstiles as to whether they can afford to aspire to Full Time or whether they are Part Time like Batley,Dewsbury,Swinton and Oldham.

36 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

We don’t. We have some FT clubs in the Championship, some that aspire to play SL and be FT ie Fev and the rest are PT like Batley. 

Maybe they should just be automatically promoted to SL, using some sort of pecking order of course.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 13/09/2020 at 18:05, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Given the attendances in L1, I suspect that the 'crowds' would be allowed back there, the problem, as the OP says, is whether companies would be happy about their employees playing.

Employees are currently teaining and playing at amateur level so i dont see the diference?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Players get payed to play , fans pay money to pay the players , no fans , no playing 

Not chicken or egg 

My oh my it so is, no one pays to watch 7 year olds, no one invented sport for people to watch and make money off.

The problem now is its become a money making thing.

It really has become a chicken and egg situation.

Look at the origins of cricket with the gifted amateurs vs proffessionals to see more

4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Do people want to watch the game or do people play to be watched?

Chicken and egg.

It's more people play to be paid, some might play for the love of it but wouldn't expect to put the same amount of time and effort in as a part-time player, and there's always been some in the supposedly amateur game who have been rewarded for their efforts since time began in RL terms.

On 13/09/2020 at 19:17, Blind side johnny said:

Maybe they should just be automatically promoted to SL, using some sort of pecking order of course.

I think that there could well be a huge rethink as soon as the Super League season is over.

And quite honestly I would not be surprised if the”Super League”becomes 2 divisions of 8 ie a Super League”Elite”division and a Super League”One”ie 4 clubs from the current Championship going into a Super League”One”division.

And the rest of the part time clubs form maybe 2 regional divisions perhaps?

11 hours ago, yipyee said:

no one invented sport for people to watch and make money off

Do you have any idea how and why the sport of rugby league was formed?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived