Championship and Championship 1 2021

51 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Even though I am not a massive fan of Union, Pro 14 are making that work with 2 conferences with teams from South Africa, Italy, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I think some lessons could be learnt 

I love the fact that Newport can criss cross Europe to lose.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

Even though I am not a massive fan of Union, Pro 14 are making that work with 2 conferences with teams from South Africa, Italy, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I think some lessons could be learnt 

Are all those teams full time ? 

On 17/09/2020 at 18:39, Wolford6 said:

Some of our boys will certainly have all guns blazing.

They qualify for the Winter Fuel Allowance.

I think John Kear will just miss out.😡

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 18/09/2020 at 18:46, GUBRATS said:

Are all those teams full time ? 

They are however it doesn't harm in looking at how they operate and seeing if it could work for us. The current format isn't fit for fans that genuinely want to follow their team to every game. I don't know many people that can afford to watch their teams in Canada (potential for 2 trips) and New York and also a French trip too. Amongst Summer Bash, a £160ish home ticket (for 1) and £20 ish away tickets plus travel too most away games. Now is the time to evaluate the structure and see if its fit for purpose. You probably have 3 seasons before the new teams are in the league and with most or ours being part time how would the players be able to cope with that type of travel. 

7 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

They are however it doesn't harm in looking at how they operate and seeing if it could work for us. The current format isn't fit for fans that genuinely want to follow their team to every game. I don't know many people that can afford to watch their teams in Canada (potential for 2 trips) and New York and also a French trip too. Amongst Summer Bash, a £160ish home ticket (for 1) and £20 ish away tickets plus travel too most away games. Now is the time to evaluate the structure and see if its fit for purpose. You probably have 3 seasons before the new teams are in the league and with most or ours being part time how would the players be able to cope with that type of travel. 

I don't think the comparison with Championship/C1 is at all appropriate to be honest. Applying this template to semi-professional clubs is invidious. I make this point specifically: people often think that semi-professional simply refers to the players but for the vast majority of clubs it also applies to the operation and administration. This is a really major factor when trying to reorganise systems and structures.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

9 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

If you can follow your team home and away great ( I believe a sizeable away support enhances most sports ) but it isn't mandatory 

11 hours ago, HarrogateKnights said:

What about fans in France and Canada? Isn't it hard on them too?

Archived