Broadcasting rights go out to tender

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rioman said:

So basically Sky tell the RFL how much they're getting for Super League, and the BBC do the same for the Challenge Cup.   Plus ca change and all that.

Many thanks. Useful to have someone on here in the know, with the inside track on these things. 

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Aye, although I suppose its a division between the Super League and RFL owned stuff.

I thought of that just as I walked away to boil the kettle. It'd be a good sell to the BBC. Championship RL would make an excellent product for the red button and/or BBC Sport website.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I thought of that just as I walked away to boil the kettle. It'd be a good sell to the BBC. Championship RL would make an excellent product for the red button and/or BBC Sport website.

Recalling the fact that the BBC can't afford to pay nearly what Sky can, that automatically implies that the Championship and League 1 clubs are in for a big cut in the money they'll receive from TV rights.

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think thats certainly a slot that could be filled. Has to be a better platform than OurLeague.

18 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems unlikely to me that the RFL would retain its existing £10m/yr TV funding from a package of Challenge Cup, internationals, Championship and League 1.

Hard choices ahead, I fear. 

I doubt we'll get significantly more as a whole. As opposed to hard choices, I'd reframe the question as one of (re)prioritising. 

9 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Recalling the fact that the BBC can't afford to pay nearly what Sky can, that automatically implies that the Championship and League 1 clubs are in for a big cut in the money they'll receive from TV rights.

Assuming that there is no payment to central funding from the Super League rights.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Yep. Opens up the prospect of a consolidated league system, with perhaps mergers/franchises/and 'deprofessionalisation' of clubs. 

It feels like the article is a little simplistic in the way it positions the splits. For example, the current distribution may be £10m for the Cup, Internationals and Championships, but isn't much of the Championships funding in effect a split of the SL funding, so would this be more SLE funding of £35m and RFL funding of £5m for example?

Wasnt this what the whole debate was about, the fact that by the time SL clubs got hold of the funding, a decent % had been routed away from them?

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Just heard that Channel 19, Ulan Bataar intends to bid 12 yaks for the CC and Championship rights. Ralph Rimmer's taking tomorrow off to clear a space in his garage.

to be fair hes done well then... its a Yak each... i would have expected the usual incompetence and a number that meant there would be some debate about which clubs got 2 yaks and which yak we had to saw in half... things are looking up

15 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Critical flaw exposed there that if you're a french or Canadian broadcaster, how could you sign up to one of these for more than 1 season?

Question is more like how does SL make sure to get the best tender addressing also amazon, dazn, eurosport et al. Beside income a coverage of more than 3 games could be an objective.

11 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

Question is more like how does SL make sure to get the best tender addressing also amazon, dazn, eurosport et al. Beside income a coverage of more than 3 games could be an objective.

I suppose thats the streaming side of the question!

I really hope super league is not sold as 1 block unless there are significant caveats.

Archived