Broadcasting rights go out to tender

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really?

Secondly, so you consider in a League that has different connotations of being an easy ride for some but the very real prospect of jeapordy happening for others it will run smoothly with no accusations of wrong doing or manipulating of games as the season pans out?

I never thought I would say this to you Tommy, even for your young years I consider you to be one of the more articulate posters on these pages but on this subject I consider you to be totally deluded, perhaps that is a frailty of your youth and lack of life expierence if you think that everything will be hunky dory and pass unscathed in such a bastardised system.

No hard feelings.

Haha I know you don't like the idea at all Harry but I remain unconvinced that the alternative is worthwhile or beneficial to any parties.

Currently for the game as a whole the French and even Canuck sides need stability within a) a single broadcast deal to make a more valuable multi year deal possible, and b) a fully professional competition to ensure player development pathways. The English sides don't need that in the same way. 

I'm willing to sacrifice a little of the English game to help massively boost the sport in 2 countries (and get the best rewards out of those countries for the English game!). 

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

That way the profile and progress can be made with French and NA clubs.

With the all new look lower tiers TV contract.

Depends who with though. Financially only a Sky or BT sport would be up to present in terms of hard cash. It would be a major transition and rethink of club finances if FTA was the only route pursued.

20 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Depends who with though. Financially only a Sky or BT sport would be up to present in terms of hard cash. It would be a major transition and rethink of club finances if FTA was the only route pursued.

The BBC rake in 5 million pounds.  With the over75s now having to pay they get another 500 million.  What do we get for that, Gary Linaker? The cast of Eastenders? A gaggle of crass comedians?

They could afford a good rate, and get a good product in return.  Instead they want to squander it.

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

The BBC rake in 5 million pounds.  With the over75s now having to pay they get another 500 million.  What do we get for that, Gary Linaker? The cast of Eastenders? A gaggle of crass comedians?

They could afford a good rate, and get a good product in return.  Instead they want to squander it.

Bless.

The Championship will end up on the BBC Red Button as part of the same deal that sees the BBC retain Challenge Cup and international rights.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

28 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If the RFL broke completely from SL, then it would have to be a total break. BARLA would need to pick a side, no overseas clubs - leave that expansion to SL, no SL in challenge cup and no SL players to represent the national teams.

is that really what is needed for a minority sport, divided we are weaker

7 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

If the RFL broke completely from SL, then it would have to be a total break. BARLA would need to pick a side, no overseas clubs - leave that expansion to SL, no SL in challenge cup and no SL players to represent the national teams.

is that really what is needed for a minority sport, divided we are weaker

That sounds totally fine untill you hear about a thing called, hmm what is it, Football? Which manages a separate identity top tier, 3 divisions of the EFL and then FA controlled competitions perfectly well

RL on the BBC does very well indeed in terms of exposure compared to other minority sports. Sorry I don't like using that term but I can't think of another. I'm thinking of Speedway,  British Basketball,  British Ice Hockey,  Field Hockey, none get the FTA exposure that RL enjoys. BBC cannot spend millions matching SKY , money from licence payers throughout the country on RL anymore than it can pump millions into broadcasting the Highland Games. 

1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

International rights should be sold separately, not as part of a package along with rights for the Championship and Challenge Cup.

No one is going to buy Championship rights otherwise, and we don't have a confirmed international programme to sell.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

No one is going to buy Championship rights otherwise, and we don't have a confirmed international programme to sell.

We shouldn’t bundle international rights in with the Championship just because they can’t be sold on their own. If the Championship can’t get a deal in it’s own right it has no tv value. 

If we don’t have an international programme confirmed why the hell are we selling rights for the unknown, that’s only going to make broadcasters bid low. 

17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

That sounds totally fine untill you hear about a thing called, hmm what is it, Football? Which manages a separate identity top tier, 3 divisions of the EFL and then FA controlled competitions perfectly well

Football, wait I have heard of that .......... is that the one which has drawn 50k to regular season lower tier games. It’ll never catch on

Just now, sweaty craiq said:

Football, wait I have heard of that .......... is that the one which has drawn 50k to regular season lower tier games. It’ll never catch on

You'll never believe that the FA pick players from the separate premier league and worse before that, the separate football league, to play for the national side.

You can co-operate whilst still retaining independence.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I refuse to believe there are two bundles packaged as:

1 - SLE bundle

2 - RFL bundle (Cup, Champs and Internationals)

I expect there are all sorts of variations.

Look, with their track record of forensic accuracy when it comes to describing broadcasting rights and packages, I think we can trust League Express on this one.

7 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

We shouldn’t bundle international rights in with the Championship just because they can’t be sold on their own. If the Championship can’t get a deal in it’s own right it has no tv value. 

If we don’t have an international programme confirmed why the hell are we selling rights for the unknown, that’s only going to make broadcasters bid low. 

I was always under the illusion that Rugbg League in this country was the same sport, hence we have a divisional system with movement between them, all the teams are invited into the oldest Rugby knockout competition there is, kids watch learn and get involved in the sport in towns from Knottingley to Knotty Ash and some actually turn pro, those clubs in the top division utilises some clubs in the lower echelons as learning, expierence and recuperation sites in the form of DR and both short and long term loans.

There are those on these pages who are advocting that should not happen any more, or indeed there is no place for unity and there is two distinctly seperate sports in all but name. 

To all you who are in this mindset I say be aware what you hope for, without foundations the top will begin to crumble and in time collopse.

And it is not the answer underpinning with compositions such as North American clubs who are in effect not tried, tested and approved materials to gain any stabillity.

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was always under the illusion that Rugbg League in this country was the same sport

Have you told BARLA?

14 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

15 years ago Cats were invited to take a British clubs spot in SL, and since then have been given £15m or so of British RL money. 15 years on the governing body cannot create a joined up product that is irresistible to French TV or the new Canadian market.

It should have had TO and Avignon in it, together with TW and Ottawa - it should have been an aggressive 2 division structure with 20 FT clubs showcasing a great product that meets the psychy of the Euro public via P and R.

18 league games doesn't provide enough games...........and noone likes the repetitive nature of loop fixtures

Archived