Fulham/London 40th Anniversary

Futtocks

40 years ago today, a long, convoluted, fascinating and sometimes frustrating saga began.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don’t expect the Broncos to compete next year. Hughes is keen to offload and the club will not be full time while he finds a buyer.

London RL would appear to be under 10 feet of dung at the moment and it is very hard to see the Broncos being a good investment for any organisation. The club is near on worthless and the costs to get back up to consistent SL standard in London will be astronomical. The heyday of 8-10k crowds are probably 5 full SL seasons away. They need to get there first.

My biggest fear that they will be relegated is not that unlikely. Then the club is a real danger of slipping into obscurity.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

Don’t expect the Broncos to compete next year. Hughes is keen to offload and the club will not be full time while he finds a buyer.

London RL would appear to be under 10 feet of dung at the moment and it is very hard to see the Broncos being a good investment for any organisation. The club is near on worthless and the costs to get back up to consistent SL standard in London will be astronomical. The heyday of 8-10k crowds are probably 5 full SL seasons away. They need to get there first.

My biggest fear that they will be relegated is not that unlikely. Then the club is a real danger of slipping into obscurity.

**** me SP!! .... I was feeling quite cheerful  in all this sunshine until I read that

A different narrative may be that London has huge potential and is ripe for an investor..... Grassroots is as strong as I've seen it

42 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

This sort of optimism and positivity is what I love about the TRL forum. 

I went out for a nice afternoon drink yesterday in the Romford area,  tried to find a pub for the CC game, but no dice, I gave up , enjoyed my drink while the round ball game was on. No one in London cares, or not enough care to make a professional profitable club a likelihood.  Lots of great stuff at grassroots,  and that is exciting but you can't keep talking of potential after 40 years. Was a possible move to Brentford's new stadium looked at?

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Was a possible move to Brentford's new stadium looked at?

I would've thought London Irish were able to offer significantly more money in rent to Brenford FC than the Broncos could manage.

What evidence is there that DH is walking away or selling it (I don't see that) granted David's no spring chicken however things seem to be as OK as it can be at present.

Until we know what is happening next season no need to panic.

Good academy set up at the Broncos excellent coaching set up and organisation off the pitch.

KEEP THE FAITH:)

Paul

40 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

I went out for a nice afternoon drink yesterday in the Romford area,  tried to find a pub for the CC game, but no dice, I gave up , enjoyed my drink while the round ball game was on. No one in London cares, or not enough care to make a professional profitable club a likelihood.  Lots of great stuff at grassroots,  and that is exciting but you can't keep talking of potential after 40 years. Was a possible move to Brentford's new stadium looked at?

There is a couple of pubs in Luton that regularly have SL games on because I book them with the landlord before I turn up. Plenty of people end up casually watching it as a result! 

Spread the gospel! 

45 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

What evidence is there that DH is walking away or selling it (I don't see that) granted David's no spring chicken however things seem to be as OK as it can be at present.

Until we know what is happening next season no need to panic.

Good academy set up at the Broncos excellent coaching set up and organisation off the pitch.

KEEP THE FAITH:)

Paul

There isn't any evidence at all, don't forget that there are some on here who make Donald Trump appear as a model of truth and virtue.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Struggling to understand the concept of a nice afternoon drink in Romford. Only good pub in the centre from when I worked there has since been taken over by Greed Thing.

Unless of course you were in the Gidea Park micropub, but certainly no TVs in there.

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Hard to deduce that no one cares about Rugby League in London sat in a pub in Essex. 

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Paupers in Premiership rugby but still vastly richer than us

Still, if I was in charge of Brentford, I'd definitely wait 'til the cheque cleared before allowing them in.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

32 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Hard to deduce that no one cares about Rugby League in London sat in a pub in Essex. 

Romford is in the London borough of Havering. We who live in the outlier boroughs consider ourselves Londoners.  The point is that walking around London you just wouldn't know that London has had a pro RL club for 40years. BTW " The Black Bull" in Ruislip is a good RL drinking hole.

On 14/09/2020 at 15:04, Sports Prophet said:

That's the spirit.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 14/09/2020 at 15:49, HawkMan said:

No one in London cares, or not enough care to make a professional profitable club a likelihood.

I absolutely disagree with this! Ticket sales for international games in London and the CC Final repeatedly show a reasonably healthy interest in our sport in the capital. Add to that the number of fans who have 'passed through' the Broncos in the past couple of decades and those who are, or have been, part of the grassroots game, then you're talking of a significant number. 

The nomadic existence, lack of cash and relative lack of success have not helped with fan engagement. 

Give LB access to a decent ground with good transport links, an appropriate financial investment in squad and sales and marketing and I firmly believe the club can succeed. 

Archived