Grabbing Balls

Eddie

With Lineham and Abdull both facing lengthy bans for grabbing an opponent’s 🥜 and Makinson currently serving one, I have to question why they do it. Even as a heat of the moment thing I can’t believe they don’t know what they’re doing, and must know they’ll face a long ban as a result? One a season in the whole league might be just understandable, but three within a few weeks is ridiculous. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

With Lineham and Abdull both facing lengthy bans for grabbing an opponent’s 🥜 and Makinson currently serving one, I have to question why they do it. Even as a heat of the moment thing I can’t believe they don’t know what they’re doing, and must know they’ll face a long ban as a result? One a season in the whole league might be just understandable, but three within a few weeks is ridiculous. 

I can understand they want the attacker to drop the ball (pardon the pun), but it's just plain weird and rather embarrassing behaviour.

Surprisingly, it appears 5 matches clearly isn't a deterrent, double it to 10 and it'll stop.

It is rather odd that Makinson ended up with an E-grade charge, Lineham has an F, and Abdul has a D-grade. 

But it is even more odd that players are doing this. Particularly in the weeks following the high-profile Makinson case.

I think Warrington should be disciplining Lineham anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It is rather odd that Makinson ended up with an E-grade charge, Lineham has an F, and Abdul has a D-grade. 

But it is even more odd that players are doing this. Particularly in the weeks following the high-profile Makinson case.

Wasn’t Makinson’s downgraded due to his previous record?

13 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm sure that the disciplinary panel can come up with a formula to determine punishment based on the combinations of meat and veg involved. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The only thing i can think of is the different angle of attack, prolonged period ie grabbed by mistake? And abdul was doing it as part of a tackle where oddly makinson had already been tackled and was lay on the floor, there was no excuse of hand in wrong place of a tackle etc.. 

The ballsy decision would be to give all of them long bans as a deterrent . The ball’s in the court of the disciplinary to sort it . Must take their eye of the ball with this one . Stiff punishments on the tackle 

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Who was that England RU bloke who engaged in some low-jinks against a Welsh player? The look on his face suggested he saw it as joshing. Maybe our players have started seeing these manoeuvres in carry-on terms as well.

Marler.... In fairness he is funny and it was as you say a low-jinks move on a Lions teammate 

Compared to some things that happen at the breakdown, maul, scrum and even line out it was relatively tame! 

4 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Who was that England RU bloke who engaged in some low-jinks against a Welsh player? The look on his face suggested he saw it as joshing. Maybe our players have started seeing these manoeuvres in carry-on terms as well.

No, he was trying to get the blind touchjudge to see the offence and get Marler sent off.

As opposed to slotting him and getting sent off himself.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

When we tried dishing out 10, 11, 12 match bans for foul play (late 80s I think) it had no effect on behaviour. SO they gave up on the long bans.

Coaches are the key to player behaviour.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived