Grabbing Balls

Eddie

2 hours ago, LeeF said:

Before being able to read the reasonings I can actually see why Abdull’s grading was lower and hence his ban as the offence looked different to the other two. It looked more accidental and stopped once he realised

As others have already posted the reasons for downgrading of Makinson’s charge have never been clearly stated although I can understand why his ban was less than Lineham who has more of a disciplinary record

Saints seem to be experts in getting charges downgraded as Naiqama's case this week shows.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will admit to accidentally grabbing someone's meat and two veg on a rugby field. Chasing a player down I dived to try to tap their leg, underestimated how effective the dive would be, and I guess how close I was to the player, got my arm round their stomach and my hand slipped down onto the lunchbox. I did stop the try being scored though. And got a smack in the beak. 

9 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I will admit to accidentally grabbing someone's meat and two veg on a rugby field. Chasing a player down I dived to try to tap their leg, underestimated how effective the dive would be, and I guess how close I was to the player, got my arm round their stomach and my hand slipped down onto the lunchbox.

"Contrary to allegations in the press, I can state this is clearly a misunderstanding as my hand slipped off the torso and around the young gentleman's groin. I have nothing further to say on the matter"

x1080.jpg

16 hours ago, Griff said:

No, he was trying to get the blind touchjudge to see the offence and get Marler sent off.

As opposed to slotting him and getting sent off himself.

For the record, it was the England player`s smirk I was referring to. You`ll have to argue it out with Bedfordshire Bronco as to how serious it was. Maybe it`s the sort of sophisticated English humour that doesn`t travel well across the Severn Bridge.

3 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

For the record, it was the England player`s smirk I was referring to. You`ll have to argue it out with Bedfordshire Bronco as to how serious it was. Maybe it`s the sort of sophisticated English humour that doesn`t travel well across the Severn Bridge.

It doesn't travel well north of the Wash.

Public schoolboy humour - beloved of Boris and his Eton mates.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 12:20, yipyee said:

The only thing i can think of is the different angle of attack, prolonged period ie grabbed by mistake? And abdul was doing it as part of a tackle where oddly makinson had already been tackled and was lay on the floor, there was no excuse of hand in wrong place of a tackle etc.. 

Is someone on stuff ?

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I will admit to accidentally grabbing someone's meat and two veg on a rugby field. Chasing a player down I dived to try to tap their leg, underestimated how effective the dive would be, and I guess how close I was to the player, got my arm round their stomach and my hand slipped down onto the lunchbox. I did stop the try being scored though. And got a smack in the beak. 

Well deserved, imho.🤣

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

18 hours ago, briggyq said:

Im still baffled about how he didn't get the full 8 games..I dont care that he was an angel beforehand..it was totally out of order and warranted the full 8 games.

Makinson was below Watts and actually reached up from the ground to pull his tackle.  

I can understand the player committing the tackle getting a handful but not the offensive player.  That was as deliberate it it comes.  I’m surprised Wattsy didn’t knock him into oblivion.

Still trying to view the Lineham incident.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not once but Twice?

I don`t know if you remember when it happened, but it started off as a rumour and almost overnight a few players came out and said that something had happened to them, very quickly the media were on to it and I remember in particular one clip where the player leaps to his feet really angry and confronts Hopoate. Next thing you know I can remember it was on the American News and we were seeing NA news clips with bemused NA readers trying not to burst out laughing while talking about the strange goings on in Australian `rugby`, it was one time where I was definitely glad of some confusion between the codes. Yes but definitely more than twice.

7 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t think that explanation is going to cut it and certainly not what they are going to want to hear.LOL

I'm really struggling to come up with any alternative explanation.

Grabbing someone's genitals (in a fight say) can be explained away as an attempt to cause excruciating pain.

But sticking your finger in someone's backside (without their consent) is not in the same category.

Its sickeningly weird and can't be classified as anything but a perverse sexual assault.

The lousy bast...d should be off the field for good and on a sex offenders register.

That we ever allowed him the opportunity to do it a second time beggars belief.

18 hours ago, Griff said:

It doesn't travel well north of the Wash.

Public schoolboy humour - beloved of Boris and his Eton mates.

hang on.. I'm a public schoolboy and i dont think it was either funny or correct, equally Joe Marler didnt go to Public School.. 

Please dont jump on easy but rubbish stereotypes.. it was a sh*thouse move and he got a pretty hefty 10 week ban for it (not long enough in my book but it would have ruled him out of the end of the 6 nations and pretty much the rest of the season if it hadnt been for COVID and the fact bans in RU seem to be in weeks rather than matches).

There are plenty of things to throw at public schools, RU and Boris but to be fair i would say they took a pretty dim view of this.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

I'm really struggling to come up with any alternative explanation.

Irish, I always had it down to he was trying to put blokes off their game. Now whether it was effective or not who knows, upsetting one bloke on your opponents team is unlikely to increase you chances of winning, upset a few maybe. I don`t think he was doing it to multiple people in the one game and if knowing Hopoate he probably only did to blokes he had a set against. The expression `mad as a meat axe` springs to mind.

9 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Irish, I always had it down to he was trying to put blokes off their game. Now whether it was effective or not who knows, upsetting one bloke on your opponents team is unlikely to increase you chances of winning, upset a few maybe. I don`t think he was doing it to multiple people in the one game and if knowing Hopoate he probably only did to blokes he had a set against. The expression `mad as a meat axe` springs to mind.

Yes i'm sure he was trying to ''upset'' him.

I'm just concerned the ''upset'' could be lifelong and not finish at 80 minutes.

To try and clarify my attitude a bit, if he did it to ''upset'' a woman, who beat him to the last two Mango's in the supermarket he'd probably be banned from Walmart for life and end up on the sex offenders register.

God knows how long it would take the poor girl to get over it.

I just think its reprehensible.

I'd much prefer to play against Les Boyd (and all that that entails) than Hopoate any day.

22 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Yes i'm sure he was trying to ''upset'' him.

I'm just concerned the ''upset'' could be lifelong and not finish at 80 minutes.

To try and clarify my attitude a bit, if he did it to ''upset'' a woman, who beat him to the last two Mango's in the supermarket he'd probably be banned from Walmart for life and end up on the sex offenders register.

God knows how long it would take the poor girl to get over it.

I just think its reprehensible.

I'd much prefer to play against Les Boyd (and all that that entails) than Hopoate any day.

Yeah I understand where you`re coming from,  If it happened these days it would be considered assault. In a way it was the `what happens on the field stays on the field `gone wrong. Not sure about the life long trauma, most of them blokes would probably just think ` bloody lunatic`.

How about Les Boyd, Rod Reddy and Ray Price in the Aussie backrow. No rectal examinations , but I reckon those three had just about everything else in the foul play handbook covered.

20 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah I understand where you`re coming from,  If it happened these days it would be considered assault. In a way it was the `what happens on the field stays on the field `gone wrong. Not sure about the life long trauma, most of them blokes would probably just think ` bloody lunatic`.

How about Les Boyd, Rod Reddy and Ray Price in the Aussie backrow. No rectal examinations , but I reckon those three had just about everything else in the foul play handbook covered.

Yes their assaults were invariably ''full frontal'', great great players.

I wish we could (on a regular basis) return to those Test match confrontations.

I miss them so much, even though, we usually ended up crying in our beer. 

14 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Yes their assaults were invariably ''full frontal'', great great players.

I wish we could (on a regular basis) return to those Test match confrontations.

I miss them so much, even though, we usually ended up crying in our beer. 

While I`ve got you,  I saw something the other day  I have been wanting to tell you about. Des Hasler and one of his assistant coaches held a ` zoom ` call with any coach who was interested from the Manly-Warringah feeder area, from the min/mod League comps right through to the grade coaches, all welcome. They normally hold it at the club. They covered about 8 topics the three that stuck in my mind were; Offensive and defensive tactics, choosing the best position for different players( I thought that was very interesting choice of topic )and the other that stuck in my mind was the development of players as people off field. Got to admit I was pretty impressed, not sure if that is more widespread than I know about, either way  I thought it was a pretty good initiative. The opportunity for even the kids coaches to mix and ask questions with the Head coach, not bad.

After what Reddy did to Price in the `77 GF replay, where Reddy was basically given carte blanche to exact revenge for Price ending St. George`s halfback Mark Shulman`s career in the GF three days before, I am amazed that those two could play in the same team let alone pack down in the same scrum . LOL.

I honestly believe the Australian pack is as lacking in depth as I have ever seen it. I would put the Kiwis a far way ahead, but if you blokes you can get the ones I have seen firing at the right time next year, you never know. Dogs are towelling up the Rabbits over here.

I stayed in Manly in 1980 for 6 weeks and went to Manly-Warringah leagues club.

You can imagine how chuffed I was.

I spent a bit of time with Fred Jones, ex Manly and Australia hooker and also (do you remember?) Graeme Williams, ex-Manly 5/8th from Swinton.

I was blown away by the quality of everything I witnessed.

Meanwhile over here, we had just introduced our coaching scheme, authored and administered by Phil Larder and the RFL were leaning on our Pro coaches to get the qualifications so they could tell our amateur coaches they should get on board.

Then someone at Manly told me that there were over 400 grade-4 (top level coaches, in the Australian scheme) coaching Under 10's teams in Sydney !!!!! 

That's 40 years ago Rocket.

It's no wonder we struggle to beat you fellas.

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

While I`ve got you,  I saw something the other day  I have been wanting to tell you about. Des Hasler and one of his assistant coaches held a ` zoom ` call with any coach who was interested from the Manly-Warringah feeder area, from the min/mod League comps right through to the grade coaches, all welcome. They normally hold it at the club. They covered about 8 topics the three that stuck in my mind were; Offensive and defensive tactics, choosing the best position for different players( I thought that was very interesting choice of topic )and the other that stuck in my mind was the development of players as people off field. Got to admit I was pretty impressed, not sure if that is more widespread than I know about, either way  I thought it was a pretty good initiative. The opportunity for even the kids coaches to mix and ask questions with the Head coach, not bad.

After what Reddy did to Price in the `77 GF replay, where Reddy was basically given carte blanche to exact revenge for Price ending St. George`s halfback Mark Shulman`s career in the GF three days before, I am amazed that those two could play in the same team let alone pack down in the same scrum . LOL.

I honestly believe the Australian pack is as lacking in depth as I have ever seen it. I would put the Kiwis a far way ahead, but if you blokes you can get the ones I have seen firing at the right time next year, you never know. Dogs are towelling up the Rabbits over here.

See post above? 

Archived