Grabbing Balls

Eddie

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 15/09/2020 at 17:26, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Marler.... In fairness he is funny and it was as you say a low-jinks move on a Lions teammate 

Compared to some things that happen at the breakdown, maul, scrum and even line out it was relatively tame! 

I liked Gareth Thomas's comment regarding that one. They asked him what he thought about it and he said if that had been going on when he was playing he might have never retired 😂

6 hours ago, fighting irish said:

I stayed in Manly in 1980 for 6 weeks and went to Manly-Warringah leagues club.

You can imagine how chuffed I was.

I spent a bit of time with Fred Jones, ex Manly and Australia hooker and also (do you remember?) Graeme Williams, ex-Manly 5/8th from Swinton.

I was blown away by the quality of everything I witnessed.

Meanwhile over here, we had just introduced our coaching scheme, authored and administered by Phil Larder and the RFL were leaning on our Pro coaches to get the qualifications so they could tell our amateur coaches they should get on board.

Then someone at Manly told me that there were over 400 grade-4 (top level coaches, in the Australian scheme) coaching Under 10's teams in Sydney !!!!! 

That's 40 years ago Rocket.

It's no wonder we struggle to beat you fellas.

Always wanted to ask you about that, I remember when I first came on line here you told me that you had been present at a Manly training session once and always wondered if you had just been present when they were training by accident, maybe you were there when they were training at an oval or whether it was something more official, looks like the latter. The earliest Manly hooker and five -eight I can recall are Max Krilich and Alan Thompson. Both fantastic intelligent footballers. Some people would say `real footballers` having to find ways through the old 5 metre rule. I`m not so sure, I think they are all pretty good, I am a big fan of DCE.

Speaking of Manly, I got caught up in the hype of the `96 GF and went down to the St.George open training session in GF week, as is my want, all the Dragons Fan Club were gathered around one side of the field so I went round the other. After about 20 minutes David Waite stopped the training session and sent an assistant over to see if I was a spy for Manly, I said to the bloke `are you kidding me? ` he must have believed me because he went back over ,spoke to Waite and they carried on training. 

The other thing I remember you telling me was your first trip to the beach in OZ and how a certain young Lady caught your attention.😉

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Always wanted to ask you about that, I remember when I first came on line here you told me that you had been present at a Manly training session once and always wondered if you had just been present when they were training by accident, maybe you were there when they were training at an oval or whether it was something more official, looks like the latter. The earliest Manly hooker and five -eight I can recall are Max Krilich and Alan Thompson. Both fantastic intelligent footballers. Some people would say `real footballers` having to find ways through the old 5 metre rule. I`m not so sure, I think they are all pretty good, I am a big fan of DCE.

Speaking of Manly, I got caught up in the hype of the `96 GF and went down to the St.George open training session in GF week, as is my want, all the Dragons Fan Club were gathered around one side of the field so I went round the other. After about 20 minutes David Waite stopped the training session and sent an assistant over to see if I was a spy for Manly, I said to the bloke `are you kidding me? ` he must have believed me because he went back over ,spoke to Waite and they carried on training. 

The other thing I remember you telling me was your first trip to the beach in OZ and how a certain young Lady caught your attention.😉

Fred Jones, was before Max Krillich.

He features in one of the NRL videos looking back at old times.

I never saw him play but he must have been good, to represent Australia.

I was there as part of a Welsh Surf Life Saving Team (can you believe it?) and the chap I was staying with wanted to introduce me to Fred because he knew I was a RL nut.

I was at the bar in the Harbord pub, getting a few Schooners, waiting to be served, so Fred came up behind me and slapped me across the back of my head.

He slapped me so hard it nearly knocked me over, lol. So I thought right, thats it, he's having it.

Then I turned round and saw his face! Which looked like granite.

So i put my hand out and said ''pleased to meet you'' lol.

He just laughed and shook my hand. We got on great after that. 

14 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I was there as part of a Welsh Surf Life Saving Team (can you believe it?) and the chap I was staying with wanted to introduce me to Fred because he knew I was a RL nut.

I was at the bar in the Harbord pub, getting a few Schooners, waiting to be served, so Fred came up behind me and slapped me across the back of my head.

He slapped me so hard it nearly knocked me over, lol. So I thought right, thats it, he's having it.

Yes , I realised that , that`s why I didn`t remember him. Max was the earliest Manly hooker I can remember and waited in reserve grade along time before debuting. The same as Max (?) Brown had to wait for Krillich to retire  and Mal Cochrane ( a Taree boy ) after him. They liked to keep a top hooker locked up, biding his time.

If you had of complained about the slap probably would have got the same response I give my sons, just a love tap.

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

There are some blokes who, when you first meet them, grip your hand so tightly you`re not sure what the intention is. If they look a bit menacing, there`s a strong incentive to see it as a friendly gesture.

14 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Here`s a spine-tingling, intricately-plotted, Aussie espionage thriller. Not exactly John Le Carre.

"Are you a spy, mate?"

"Are you kidding?"

The end.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There are some blokes who, when you first meet them, grip your hand so tightly you`re not sure what the intention is. If they look a bit menacing, there`s a strong incentive to see it as a friendly gesture.

My thoughts exactly. Discretion being the better part of valour

Archived