World Cup: 'could be pushed back to 2022'

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

If it needs to be done in order to guarantee a successful tournament then I won't complain but I would prefer a decision be made before people start buying tickets.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Good to hear there are contingency plans in place, who knows what things will look like in2 months time let alone 14 months. Good news is they’ve guaranteed that any ticket money will be refunded if it doesn’t go ahead so fans won’t lose out financially. 

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

My thoughts are this is a crass headline, all too typical of the BBC desperate to make this virus look as bad as they can make it to be.

I don’t go to the BBC website for my news any more, most of it is like it’s been written by 6th form work experience kids. 

On 15/09/2020 at 14:20, paulwalker71 said:

Totally sensible - no point holding it if COVID is still restricting what we are able to do and also hitting the economy. Gives another year to build up excitement.

Important though I think to decide sooner rather than later so people aren't confused or annoyed because they buy tickets for next year but cannot make rearranged fixtures.

Be interesting to know if there are any cost implications in rearranging.

It seems to me it's all about the vaccine, because until that's rolled out some sort of distancing will remain, and that will affect attendances. Any limit on attendances will make the tournament unviable.

But the organisers may sit and wait for a vaccine that never comes. It's would be huge call to delay, but they might have no choice. I wonder how late they can leave it?

Also, I hope the contingency plan is fully signed off by the NRL for alternative dates so the organisers can just flip the switch if forced to. 

Rather than the political posturing of government soundbites, it's become clear that you need to take your cue for the reality of what's happening in the corporate world.  My own employer has been a step ahead of Boris and co all through this, helped in part by having a Danish head office.  So even in the UK, we were already working from home 10 days before we the official instruction came, we had a return to office plan mapped out before returning to work was pronounced, and our production sites have had various measures in place throughout consistently ahead of the lagging 'guidance'. 

Our most recent update concerned working with Covid on an on-going basis, referring to the impact of second and third waves (no debating, these will happen), and the need to continue working this way until a vaccine is in place.  There's no way this will be rolled out to the required levels before the end of H1 next year; whilst it might be theoretically possible to host an international tournament starting in Q3 2021 therefore, pre-sales will be poor, driven by on-going uncertainly, and logistical planning will be difficult.  The logical decision, which will hopefully be made early, would be to push back 12 months.  There will be reluctance because of the soccer world cup, but it's feasible to be finished before this starts, with only minor modifications to the 2022 calendar.  It would also allow teams a proper build up that they won't get in 2021.  However, it may come down to what can be negotiated on the broadcast contracts.

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

9 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

Rather than the political posturing of government soundbites, it's become clear that you need to take your cue for the reality of what's happening in the corporate world.  My own employer has been a step ahead of Boris and co all through this, helped in part by having a Danish head office.  So even in the UK, we were already working from home 10 days before we the official instruction came, we had a return to office plan mapped out before returning to work was pronounced, and our production sites have had various measures in place throughout consistently ahead of the lagging 'guidance'. 

Our most recent update concerned working with Covid on an on-going basis, referring to the impact of second and third waves (no debating, these will happen), and the need to continue working this way until a vaccine is in place.  There's no way this will be rolled out to the required levels before the end of H1 next year; whilst it might be theoretically possible to host an international tournament starting in Q3 2021 therefore, pre-sales will be poor, driven by on-going uncertainly, and logistical planning will be difficult.  The logical decision, which will hopefully be made early, would be to push back 12 months.  There will be reluctance because of the soccer world cup, but it's feasible to be finished before this starts, with only minor modifications to the 2022 calendar.  It would also allow teams a proper build up that they won't get in 2021.  However, it may come down to what can be negotiated on the broadcast contracts.

I would hope, as i am sure you are doing, that this announcement may negate, at least to an extent, the issue you highlight (and i highlight in bold). 

Personally I will be buying the tickets as if it were going ahead, we'll cross the next bridge when we get there.. tends to be the way i am working in general at the moment... if something is being planned act as if it is on until you are told it is not, but just dont get too excited about it.. its all you can do.. i hope others feel the same.

10 hours ago, Neil_Ormston said:

Realistic post

13 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Everything is built around Covid or an excuse using Covid-19. The multiple waves conceived will probably boost infection but not death rate.

The issue is Covid-19 is and has carried more media attention than the common cold.

We don’t wear masks for the common cold because we have learnt to live with it.

Stay at home if your ill has always been in place. If hands face and space was used on the common cold then how many would have survived?

The UK cannot afford another full lock down as stated by Mr Johnson.

So he has left us with no other choice but to get on with it.

So let’s follow his instructions and get on with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the common cold kills more than the almost 50k and approaching 1million people in 8 months.

Archived