World Cup: 'could be pushed back to 2022'

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

650k die of the common cold each year. This virus has a long way to go before reaching those levels. 
800k per year die committing suicide.

Out of 1.4M deaths by those two causes. What have you read or seen through the media?

Nothing.

Is that Uk or global? 

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

650k die of the common cold each year. This virus has a long way to go before reaching those levels. 

Out of 1.4M deaths by those two causes. What have you read or seen through the media?

Nothing.

without wanting to turn this into something too political or to derail the thread too much.. one of the reasons for not going into another national lockdown is around mental health.. there is a a huge amount being written about it at the moment, there is a huge charitable push in that area and there is huge work being done on it as people are very worried about this. 

Pre lockdown there has been a huge drive on adult mental health and trying to cut down on suicides.. 

to say that nothing is done is wrong.. 

Covid is a big bang and without the measures put in place would have been a lot lot worse.. it still could easily go that way and all along it has always been about pure numbers.. the NHS would not be able to cope with those numbers and people would die because they cannot access the care that could save them (which is not a good look for a govt). Control it and the death rate drops.

Its the same tactic as with Flu and the cold.. control.. hence flu vaccines every year to control the numbers and the numbers of the already ill and vulnerable that would put pressure on the NHS. The difference is that COVID-19 is more highly infectious than the other strains of Flu

Your general jist from before with the "follow the rules and just get on" i agree 100% with.. but seeing my next door neighbour nearly die from this in march and the state he is still in now i would not underplay the illness and also how this could affect the country compared to someone with the cold or even flu. 

I find it a bit disappointing that we are already having the conversation (though I can understand why).  I just wish we would all show a bit more optimism and I think this is a discussion that should start happening some time around March next year, with a final decision being made some time around June.  I don't think anything good can come from prematurely discussing this, to me it just wreaks of pessimism, which will never be good for ticket sales.

10 hours ago, SL17 said:

We literally have a partnership with State of Mind to tackle mental health and suicide issues, particularly in men.

As for the media, if you haven't seen anything about suicide - for example the fact that it's biggest killer of men under 45 and is rising - then you presumably haven't logged onto a news website at any point in the past month.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 hours ago, SL17 said:

Nothing.

Apologies for engaging in thread drift, but seeing as it's in reply to my post: UP TO 650k people are estimated to die globally from respiratory disease linked to seasonal flu.  The estimated range is 290k-650k.  (Source)   The US alone suffered 75,000 excess deaths in the past 6 months (source).  Some of this will be timing, but these are on top of deaths caused by seasonal flu.  So globally excess deaths are already in the range of what can be expected annually from seasonal flu, despite widespread lockdowns at national level.

There is regular media coverage of the impact of flu - I'll leave you to do your own research on that.

As for suicide, 10 September was World Suicide Prevention Day, which had extensive coverage in the media, and certainly on my social media feeds was much more prevalent even that C19.  It has also been receiving significant increase coverage recently; indeed, even during the C19 pandemic it is regularly commented on.

You can deny the fact that there will be second and third waves as much as you like, they will happen, with more excess deaths as a result; it's a political choice whether there will be a lockdown similar to what we have seen previously, but inevitably the impact will be greater if there is not one.

And to try and get us back on thread, it's highly likely that C19 has a significant impact on preparation & pre-sales for the RLWC 2021.  You might not like that, and think that people / the media / governments are over-reacting, but do you not think that it will impact?

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

42 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

** sigh **

Just a matter of time before the Admins close my thread for being political 

Hopefully not, and I don't see what it should be closed.  It's impossible to discuss a possible postponement of RLWC without acknowledging why this might be, which is as much government response to C19, as C19 per se.

Given the importance of the RLWC, and how big a story this is, I hope the thread stays open.  I'll happily delete any posts I've made if requested by admins to do so, if that helps it remain open.

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

Archived