Places that are in the wrong country

Every time I hear someone has climbed Kilimanjaro, I wonder why they are in Africa. Kilimanjaro sounds to me that it should be in Japan. 

Just passed Ecclefechan in the Scottish Borders. It should be in Wales, surely. 

And Billericay really belongs in Ireland. 

Any other examples? 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Just passed Ecclefechan in the Scottish Borders. It should be in Wales, surely. 

Fairly sure the placename would be from Brittonic rather than Gaelic (meaning little church, or something like that), so that makes sense. I suppose Pen-Y-Ghent in Yorkshire is similar.

Dunkirk should be in Scotland, not France.

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

A. For obvious reasons, Godmanchester seems misplaced. 

B. Further afield, Strasbourg feels like it is on the wrong side of the French/German border.

A. aka Manchester Cathedral, maybe?

B. I imagine it has been both sides at various times, but stand to be corrected.

49 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

A. aka Manchester Cathedral, maybe?

B. I imagine it has been both sides at various times, but stand to be corrected.

No, Manchester Cathedral was always on the East side of the Irwell, Salford's was always on the correct side..

As was Swinton Town Hall, until it was robbed & Raped & kidnapped in 1973

Always thought St Ippolyts should be in Greece, not Hertfordshire, and Wankhed could be universal,  not a small village in India.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I think it has been, from time to time. 

Indeed, Strasbourg was a free city within the Holy Roman Empire until the 17th century when it was annexed by France and was of course reoccupied by Germany during the Second World War. 

Historians like to say that 3 of the most Germanic cities in the world are in fact not in Germany, those being Strasbourg, Vienna and Prague. 

Wombleton is in Yorkshire, but should be closer to Wimbledon Common.

And, referencing another thread, Fryupdale, Eggborough, Thornton-le-Beans, Mushroom Green, Baconsthorpe and Towcester should be closer together than they are.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

And, referencing another thread, Fryupdale, Eggborough, Thornton-le-Beans, Mushroom Green, Baconsthorpe and Towcester should be closer together than they are.

But nowhere near HASHtown and BROWNsville, USA.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

Plenty of places in the North-East of England with Scandinavian names, thanks to overseas visits from hairy chaps in horny* hats.

*yes, I know, the Vikings didn't have horned helmets.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Ones that come to mind straight away are Leeds Castle and Bolton Abbey, they seem to have got a bit lost at some time. 

Interesting thread, I'll have a proper think rather than making rude jokes like I did above. 

No , keep making rude jokes 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

No , keep making rude jokes 

If it helps, I have actually been to Wetwang. And Anus. But not Cockermouth.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why is Thirsk not in Scotland?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

We had a Hungarian family visit us years ago, and they loved the signpost on the Scarborough road outside Helmsley that says Harome 2. Because in Hungarian, "harom" means three.

Hey, when you're living behind the iron curtain, you have to take your laughs where you can.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

The tiny hamlet of Twatt in Orkney should be in East Hull. 

There is a Twatt in Shetland too...if you see what I mean!

Archived