Places that are in the wrong country

In Shropshire, there is a hamlet called - in some contexts - Plox Green, but I think it is also known as Pillocks Green, in which case it maybe should be closer to Maidenhead.  Just a thought!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold Blow Lane is in London, but from what I've heard from some of you guys, it should be near the Watersheddings.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If Nottinghamshire wasn't landlocked, they'd be petitioning for the ownership of Robin Hood's Bay.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Zeal Monachorum probably belongs in some swords'n'sorcery epic.

Along with Huish Episcopi and Kingsbury Episcopi!

55 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Ashby De La Zouch in Leicestershire sound like it should be in Holland or France.

Leicestershire's great claim to place name fame is to make significant use of Parva and Magna as village name suffixes as opposed to the more common, in England, prefixes Little and Great

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

It seems there are lots of twatts in Scotland! 

Carful, HG - we Scots might report you to the moderators!  Well, maybe not...

Why are Niagra Falls not in Africa and Victoria Falls not in  Australia.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Perth is in Scotland , but it’s in Australia to . I mean how weird’s that ?

To be honest, DavidM, not weird at all.  The colonies (as they were) are full of places named after villages, towns and cities back in the Mother Country (as it was)

Occasionally, it works the other way round chronologically.  The Durham former pit village of Philadelphia is, I believe, named after the place in the USA, not vice versa.  I am not sure which Toronto (the Durham or Canadian one) came first.

I once found myself in a lift in a London hotel with a small group of Americans.  My clothing included a fleece celebrating Durham Wasps grand slam success in British ice hockey in the 1990-91 season.  "Is that Durham, North Carolina" asked one of the Americans.  I couldn't resist saying, "No, Durham, England, the real one!"

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Carful, HG - we Scots might report you to the moderators!  Well, maybe not...

Thought I'd do some research into where the place name Twatt actually comes from. I figured it was norse given its on the islands, which it is, and it means "small parcel of land". Apparently it is also the origin of the English name, Thwaite.

The origins of names, be they place names or personal names, is something I have always found very interesting, always like to learn another one! 

Very obviously, Aberdeen should be in Wales.

And Aberystwyth should be called Aberrheidol.

There's a fair number of historic Dutch-language place names in the northeast of France that all look like they've got to stuck the wrong side of the border.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

In Shropshire, there is a hamlet called - in some contexts - Plox Green, but I think it is also known as Pillocks Green, in which case it maybe should be closer to Maidenhead.  Just a thought!

Should be closer to Westminster 

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Desolation Sound is in Canada when, surely, it should be in [insert insulting area of England chosen to meet your personal prejudice].

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived