Places that are in the wrong country

10 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

To be honest, DavidM, not weird at all.  The colonies (as they were) are full of places named after villages, towns and cities back in the Mother Country (as it was)

Occasionally, it works the other way round chronologically.  The Durham former pit village of Philadelphia is, I believe, named after the place in the USA, not vice versa.  I am not sure which Toronto (the Durham or Canadian one) came first.

I once found myself in a lift in a London hotel with a small group of Americans.  My clothing included a fleece celebrating Durham Wasps grand slam success in British ice hockey in the 1990-91 season.  "Is that Durham, North Carolina" asked one of the Americans.  I couldn't resist saying, "No, Durham, England, the real one!"

Coalville in Leicestershire should be in America.

Apparently the landowner wife was American. When they decided to open the coal mine they needed accommodation for the miners. They built a village, she decided the village should be called Coalville as it was the American custom.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

To be honest, DavidM, not weird at all.  The colonies (as they were) are full of places named after villages, towns and cities back in the Mother Country (as it was)

Ya don’t say . I’m glad I come here , I always learn new stuff 

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Surely Nomansland should be an area in a war zone, not a quaint village on the Wiltshire/Hampshire border. 

Of course, Nomansland comes complete with its own, resident, regular contributor to these TRL forum discussions!

Saltaire is nowhere near the seaside.

Yes, I do know the origin of the name.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jodrell Bank apparently isn't in the middle east.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I'm not sure where the village of No Place in Durham should be if anywhere. 

Yorkshire, obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holme,_West_Yorkshire

Holme is a small rural village 2.5 miles (4 km) southwest of the town of Holmfirth and 9.7 miles (16 km) from Tintwistle on the edge of the Pennines in England

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

12 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I'm not sure where the village of No Place in Durham should be if anywhere. 

Should it not be, like, wherever your home is?

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Yorkshire, obviously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holme,_West_Yorkshire

Holme is a small rural village 2.5 miles (4 km) southwest of the town of Holmfirth and 9.7 miles (16 km) from Tintwistle on the edge of the Pennines in England

There's a Holme not too far from here as well, granted that's Holme-on-Spalding-Moor. 

On 15/09/2020 at 19:52, Bleep1673 said:

Bob8 will fill in more details about boundaries in Scandi areas than I can, but those borders are more flexible than an ice flow.

On 15/09/2020 at 19:54, Bleep1673 said:

Norwege, Sverige, Soumi, Dansk borders are dodgy at the best of times.

Bornholm is th eonly odd one that springs to mind. It is an island that was missed out when Skåne (modern day southern Sweden) was transferred from Denmark to Sweden. That means they now speak Danish but with the accent of their region (i.e. Swedish).

Denmark location bornholm.svg

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Who moved Ashby-de-la-Zouch to Leicestershire?

Archived