Places that are in the wrong country

8 hours ago, Clogiron said:

I don't know where they belong but Mumps, Shelf, Fence and Nutclough all seem to be in the wrong places to me, and I cannot drive through the latter without thinking of Tina Turner!

Now I've got Nutclough City limits on my mind.

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Mister Ting said:

Now I've got Nutclough City limits on my mind.

That is now your earworm.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Ā 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 16/09/2020 at 08:37, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Thought I'd do some research into where the place name Twatt actually comes from. I figured it was norse given its on the islands, which it is, and it means "small parcel of land". Apparently it is also the origin of the English name, Thwaite.

The origins of names, be they place names or personal names, is something I have always found very interesting, always like to learn another one!Ā 

Funny over here on the NSW mid north coast, there are several small towns or rural areas that end in `bakh` a couple `bach`. The former being a description by the local Aborigines of the proliferation of a certain type of tree in that area, for eg. Killabakh or Kundibakh,Ā  just coincidence `bakh` and the English `bark`. `Bach` are areas that had a large number of German settlers, which is revealed in some of the surnames of long standing families in those areas. i.e the Schmitzers from Krambach.

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Funny over here on the NSW mid north coast, there are several small towns or rural areas that end in `bakh` a couple `bach`. The former being a description by the local Aborigines of the proliferation of a certain type of tree in that area, for eg. Killabakh or Kundibakh,Ā  just coincidence `bakh` and the English `bark`. `Bach` are areas that had a large number of German settlers, which is revealed in some of the surnames of long standing families in those areas. i.e the Schmitzers from Krambach.

Very interesting! It's amazing the similarities across so many different languages. It's understandable with European languages with most having either Latin or Germanic origins and being spoken so close together. For example, if you can speak German you can understand Dutch and Norwegian quite well with much of it being similar. Similarly if you can speak Spanish you can understand Italian quite well or vice versa.

Much of the Yorkshire accent and dialect has its roots in German given this was a Saxon stronghold in the dark ages, an example of this being the pronunciation of 'water'. In Yorkshire we would say it exactly how it is spelt, wat-er, rather than the southern rah rah, worter. In German water is 'wasser', again pronounced exactly as spelt. Both words sound very similar. Basic rule for learning German is, "Say what you see", in other words just pronounce something exactly as spelt.Ā 

Anyway, German lesson over for today! šŸ˜

If you didn't know, Bach is the German word for a stream or any kind of small river. Do any of the places ending in Bach also have the name of a nearby water course in them?Ā 

14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

If you didn't know, Bach is the German word for a stream or any kind of small river. Do any of the places ending in Bach also have the name of a nearby water course in them?Ā 

Bach is also Welsh for small or little, so you could get some wrong answers on this one.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

St Germans in Cornwall (not Germany), on the St Germans (or Tiddy (not in Wales))Ā River, which runs to the next village of Hamoaze ( not in Palestine).

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Ā 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Very interesting! It's amazing the similarities across so many different languages. It's understandable with European languages with most having either Latin or Germanic origins and being spoken so close together. For example, if you can speak German you can understand Dutch and Norwegian quite well with much of it being similar. Similarly if you can speak Spanish you can understand Italian quite well or vice versa.

Much of the Yorkshire accent and dialect has its roots in German given this was a Saxon stronghold in the dark ages, an example of this being the pronunciation of 'water'. In Yorkshire we would say it exactly how it is spelt, wat-er, rather than the southern rah rah, worter. In German water is 'wasser', again pronounced exactly as spelt. Both words sound very similar. Basic rule for learning German is, "Say what you see", in other words just pronounce something exactly as spelt.Ā 

Anyway, German lesson over for today! šŸ˜

Yes, that is exactly correct, Krambach sits on the side of a small hill and below the village runs a creek.Ā 

I can quite clearly recall the legendary English historical figure Catweazle using the `wat-er` pronunciation, he was always on the run from the Normans.šŸ˜Ā IĀ  can understand how places such as springs held `religious` significance Ā for our forebears and were often the site of shrines and places where people left offerings. It must have seemed quite miraculous wat-er bubbling from the earth. Still does.

Even living on a farm it is a well known observation that sometimes after a long dry spell the `springs` will open, something I have never had satisfactorily explained. One of the best springs I remember was at a property we owned at Killabakh. Before settlement Killabakh was home to a large Aboriginal population, that guaranteed water supply might explain that.. I`ve never put those two things together before.

Anyway, I will stop with my Australian history lesson now in turn. Good day.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

6 hours ago, DavidM said:

Barbara BachĀ 

That was only her acting name, her real name was Barbara StreamOranyKindofsmallRiver.Ā 

She was always my favourite Bond Girl. Ringo you sly dog.Ā 

9 hours ago, The Rocket said:

That was only her acting name, her real name was Barbara StreamOranyKindofsmallRiver.Ā 

She was always my favourite Bond Girl. Ringo you sly dog.Ā 

I always thought she was a bit funny looking , not that Iā€™d have shut the door in her face if sheā€™d come calling and said ā€˜ make love to me immediately ā€˜ . I liked Maud Adams , Ursulla Andress , Jane Seymour , Tatiana Romanova off From Russia With Love , Pussy Galore ,Ā Jill and Tilly Masterson ( a few fantasies as a young un there ) , Plenty Oā€™Toole and I think especially Britt Ekland . So Iā€™m not to pickyĀ 

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I always thought she was a bit funny looking , not that Iā€™d have shut the door in her face if sheā€™d come calling and said ā€˜ make love to me immediately ā€˜ . I liked Maud Adams , Ursulla Andress , Jane Seymour , Tatiana Romanova off From Russia With Love , Pussy Galore ,Ā Jill and Tilly Masterson ( a few fantasies as a young un there ) , Plenty Oā€™Toole and I think especially Britt Ekland . So Iā€™m not to pickyĀ 

As Ursula Andress said to James:Ā  " I think my mouth`s too big "

James: " No, it`s just theĀ right size " with one eyebrow raised.

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Lots of Bond girls but Sean is bondĀ 

It`s funny you know, I always preferredĀ  Roger Moore, something about his ham debonair manner.

Bond Girl: " You have a very good memory for facts Mr. Bond ",

James: " And figures ".

Archived