New venue for SOO 1

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You seem keen to start it off.

Ok then. There are too many teams in Sydney, let’s boot two out, increase the league to 18 teams and have new clubs in Adelaide, Perth, Melbourne 2 and New Zealand 2. It’ll be really easy to do and we’ll crush Aussie Rules like the fly that they are. 

Great news for me and the family as we ordered 4 tickets when they first went on sale.

We got an email from Ticketek saying that people have until 30 September to request a refund.  After that date it is assumed that you are attending the game.

However, it was reported on the local radio that capacity of the Adelaide Oval may be reduced by 50% to be around 26-27k.

So I assume that after 30 September when they know how many still want to attend then they will decide if everyone can be fitted in to a checkerboard layout. It will be interesting to see how many people living interstate that purchased tickets still want to attend the game.

11 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Great news for me and the family as we ordered 4 tickets when they first went on sale.

I assume AFL and Cricket are the biggest sports in Adelaide (?), but is there much interest in RL there and are there any teams etc? 

Edit - I got off my ###### and found this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_Rugby_League

9 minutes ago, Copa said:

Look at this proposal for a new rectangular stadium in Adelaide. The pitch lifts to become a roof.

Certainly very interesting stadium, looks like its trying to be future proof. Not surprised by that price tag at all though!

40 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I assume AFL and Cricket are the biggest sports in Adelaide (?), but is there much interest in RL there and are there any teams etc? 

Edit - I got off my ###### and found this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_Rugby_League

Unfortunately AFL is massive in SA.  Never watch the game on TV but I once went to watch the Crows play and the game went on for so long I was blatherated before it finished. And that’s by drinking Aussie lager!!!!!!!

Follow the Redbacks at cricket and it’s great that an adopted Yorkshireman, Jason Gillespie has been appointed Coach.  Go to some of the Big Bash games at Adelaide Oval which IMHO is the best cricket ground in the world ..... even better than God’s own ground at Headingley😲😲😲😲

RL is below the horizon but the small local league keeps trundling along.  A few years ago I was in Bunnings - like B&Q - and I was wearing a Qld jersey.  A young lad who worked there came over and we got chatting.  He played for Centrals RL.  When I told him I had played the game he asked if I wanted to play for them.  Either he was desperate or he had left his glasses at home because I had just passed the half century in age. 😄

37 minutes ago, Copa said:

Look at this proposal for a new rectangular stadium in Adelaide. The pitch lifts to become a roof.

Only $1.3 billion ... pah chickenfeed.  The building next to it is the new Royal Adelaide Hospital that was completed about 2 years ago at a cost of $2.44 billion apparently it was the third most expensive public building in the world ever built.

If the stadium held netball, basketball, tennis, football (and I mean football, proper football not bl00dy soccer) and replaced the Entertainment Centre then you have land releases all within a few minutes of the city centre.  So the value of those land packages could finance a fair chunk of the project.

But this is Adelaide and the vocal conservative rich residents that live in North Adelaide will probably be against this.

10 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Seems completely logical to me for 1 game to be in Sydney, 1 game to be in Brisbane and 1 game on the road each year.

Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch bidding to host a SOO game will only spread the game while bringing more money into the sport. 

I know idealistically what you are saying is right, but surely the QLD and NSW fans should have access to all three of their own games. Would you think the same if Leeds were in the GF but it was moved to the Stade Velodrome to spread the game? 

28 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know idealistically what you are saying is right, but surely the QLD and NSW fans should have access to all three of their own games. Would you think the same if Leeds were in the GF but it was moved to the Stade Velodrome to spread the game? 

They still both have a home game. Leeds have played games in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Newcastle. If the Grand Final was moved to one of these places because they paid big money to host it I’d be fine with that.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Two things Eddie,  they are having a hard time selling out the Sydney game these days, especially when NSW is scheduled to host two games. One is enough, but even that would struggle to sell out if it was a dead rubber. Makes a lot of sense to take one game on the road. SOO is seen as a big event nation wide.

The other thing, Melbourne have hosted the Roosters for one club game there each year now for three or four years, drew over 20 000 the first year has dropped slightly over the ensuing years despite each of the games being very close and high quality games. I`m sure a rectangular stadium would help. It is going to be long time before there is a team in Adelaide. Best hope is that Melbourne continue to build a supporter base there.

If they continue to play it at the end of the year, do you think there would be an appetite for one game in England ?

20 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

They still both have a home game. Leeds have played games in London, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Newcastle. If the Grand Final was moved to one of these places because they paid big money to host it I’d be fine with that.

They’re just a 4 or so hour drive away though, the situation in Australia is completely different as far as travel is concerned?

17 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

If they continue to play it at the end of the year, do you think there would be an appetite for one game in England ?

Yes, I think they’d sell out Wembley or Old Trafford no problem. 

I’m amazed that they are struggling to sell out the Sydney game though, when all we hear is how massive SOO is. 

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They’re just a 4 or so hour drive away though, the situation in Australia is completely different as far as travel is concerned?

Australian fans are more used to the longer distances too - and it isn't as far as the longest club trip in the NRL (Melbourne to Townsville), even if you take NZ Warriors out of the equation.

Plus there'll be Rugby League fans in SA who'll be delighted that they don't have to travel so far to see Origin. Plus the curious and the regular big event-attenders among the locals.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yes, I think they’d sell out Wembley or Old Trafford no problem. 

I’m amazed that they are struggling to sell out the Sydney game though, when all we hear is how massive SOO is. 

It`s massive don`t get me wrong, three of the top 5 rating progammes every year, but it has been a round for 40+ years and is hard to maintain the rage.. All the stuff about NSW and QLD hating each other and then they`re standing around after the game laughing and shaking hands. It definitely isn`t the `take no prisoners ` game it used to be,  just two really high quality teams. However because of its history and reputation it is an easy sell into other markets, hence the sellouts it gets in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

SOO in NSW also relies to an extent  on QLD winning, I know that sounds strange but if we started to beat them too often interest could drop off dramatically. Before QLD  went on their long winning streak NSW won three series in a row and there was a lot of concern about complacency in NSW amongst fans and talk of the death of Origin.

I would love to see it played at Wembley, I am sure the players would really love it as well, especially if it was able to be hyped up into a big event over there. A full house. I reckon they would put on a real show, you could really see an old fashioned blood and guts Origin. Could be a shot in the arm for British Rugby league too. 

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

It`s massive don`t get me wrong, three of the top 5 rating progammes every year, but it has been a round for 40+ years and is hard to maintain the rage.. All the stuff about NSW and QLD hating each other and then they`re standing around after the game laughing and shaking hands. It definitely isn`t the `take no prisoners ` game it used to be,  just two really high quality teams. However because of its history and reputation it is an easy sell into other markets, hence the sellouts it gets in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide.

SOO in NSW also relies to an extent  on QLD winning, I know that sounds strange but if we started to beat them too often interest could drop off dramatically. Before QLD  went on their long winning streak NSW won three series in a row and there was a lot of concern about complacency in NSW amongst fans and talk of the death of Origin.

I would love to see it played at Wembley, I am sure the players would really love it as well, especially if it was able to be hyped up into a big event over there. A full house. I reckon they would put on a real show, you could really see an old fashioned blood and guts Origin. Could be a shot in the arm for British Rugby league too. 

No doubt in my mind that it would sell out Wembley IF it was marketed right.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Some Cowboys fans regularly travel those distances for home games,you can get an £80 return flight from Sydney to Adelaide 

6 hours ago, Copa said:

wow. 

18 hours ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Only $1.3 billion ... pah chickenfeed.  The building next to it is the new Royal Adelaide Hospital that was completed about 2 years ago at a cost of $2.44 billion apparently it was the third most expensive public building in the world ever built.

If the stadium held netball, basketball, tennis, football (and I mean football, proper football not bl00dy soccer) and replaced the Entertainment Centre then you have land releases all within a few minutes of the city centre.  So the value of those land packages could finance a fair chunk of the project.

But this is Adelaide and the vocal conservative rich residents that live in North Adelaide will probably be against this.

I think that I read recently that South Australia`s  population had actually declined over the last couple of years, I know it is viewed as being a bit of a basket case with a lot of manufacturing going off shore or just completely ceasing, I suppose that is the same technically as going offshore, same things are still being manufactured just elsewhere. These issues are reflected in the big push to get the submarines manufactured down there, the new Australian Space Industry Hub, and it sounds by the size of that Hospital they are trying to capitalise on OZ`s world class health and health research industry. 

The point I am eventually getting around to A.T. is that it would seem very likely that this stadium project could get funding as the Fed`s try to revitalise the State. You would think that any city that wants to be taken seriously and be involved in WC`s,  League, Womens soccer, union and other big rectangular field events have to have a top class stadium. Especially if they want the tourists coming into town to attend these events and then visiting the Barossa and sticking around for a few days afterwards. i.e. spending money.

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I think that I read recently that South Australia`s  population had actually declined over the last couple of years, I know it is viewed as being a bit of a basket case with a lot of manufacturing going off shore or just completely ceasing, I suppose that is the same technically as going offshore, same things are still being manufactured just elsewhere. These issues are reflected in the big push to get the submarines manufactured down there, the new Australian Space Industry Hub, and it sounds by the size of that Hospital they are trying to capitalise on OZ`s world class health and health research industry. 

The point I am eventually getting around to A.T. is that it would seem very likely that this stadium project could get funding as the Fed`s try to revitalise the State. You would think that any city that wants to be taken seriously and be involved in WC`s,  League, Womens soccer, union and other big rectangular field events have to have a top class stadium. Especially if they want the tourists coming into town to attend these events and then visiting the Barossa and sticking around for a few days afterwards. i.e. spending money.

From what I have read the population is not declining but it has the slowest growth of the states and territories (and I have had a vasectomy so I can’t help 😄)  But the rest of what you posted is spot on with SA looking to establish itself as the science and technology state.

SA missed a massive opportunity when the Global Financial Crash hit 2008.  Just before the crash I was working for a company called Hassell in their Planning team.  I met with an Executive from BHP Billiton regarding the expansion of the Olympic Dam mine (the largest uranium mine in the world and fourth largest copper mine).  They wanted our team to do a master plan to increase the population of Roxby Downs from 4,000 to 10,000, design a new airport and create a new camp for the FIFO workers.  The Executive said that the expected cost for all the work was expected to be $2b.  But during the prep work the GFC hit and work was put on hold.  Unfortunately BHP finally cancelled the project a couple of years later.  The SA Govt would have had a massive windfall if the project has been completed.

Archived