New venue for SOO 1

33 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

From what I have read the population is not declining but it has the slowest growth of the states and territories (and I have had a vasectomy so I can’t help 😄)  But the rest of what you posted is spot on with SA looking to establish itself as the science and technology state.

SA missed a massive opportunity when the Global Financial Crash hit 2008.  Just before the crash I was working for a company called Hassell in their Planning team.  I met with an Executive from BHP Billiton regarding the expansion of the Olympic Dam mine (the largest uranium mine in the world and fourth largest copper mine).  They wanted our team to do a master plan to increase the population of Roxby Downs from 4,000 to 10,000, design a new airport and create a new camp for the FIFO workers.  The Executive said that the expected cost for all the work was expected to be $2b.  But during the prep work the GFC hit and work was put on hold.  Unfortunately BHP finally cancelled the project a couple of years later.  The SA Govt would have had a massive windfall if the project has been completed.

How quickly things can change, seems they are focusing on  renewables now. They copped a lot of criticism during those blackouts but a lot of that was just political partisanship. And all new technologies have teething problems. To be perfectly frank I am not a big fan of nuclear power, if the Japs can stuff up , Lord help us when they are all over Indonesia and India. I heard Indonesia have plans for about twenty.

23 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

No doubt in my mind that it would sell out Wembley IF it was marketed right.

The question is lucky, if they continue to play SOO three weekends in a row at the end of the season, they are not going to play a potential decider any where but in either NSW or QLD. So that leaves game 1 or 2. Without really knowing a lot about it, for me the best case scenario would be for the teams to fly into England say 10 days before the first game, and play on the Saturday of the following week. This is where I am unsure, could they fly back to OZ the following day/evening, is flying with bruising an issue, you hear these stories about blood clots on long flights. The thing is they couldn`t get back to OZ too late if they were going recover  then train and play the following Sunday ? People who know more about these things than me might comment.

I have never travelled so know nothing about jet lag and recovery after long flights. Seems they flew around a fair bit during the rugby union championship down here and played a test every week but of course that is not quite as far.( and they are only playing union after all-35mins ball in play per match).

Anyway I wouldn`t write it off,  but I think they want to have a crack at Kiwi land first. But it is an exciting prospect.

Archived