NRL Match Thread Round 19

Graham

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Graham changed the title to NRL Match Thread Round 19

Good on the Panthers for winning the Minor Premiership, they have been the most consistent and entertaining team by far, I fear that the Roosters and Storm might just have too much nous for them come the play offs but finger's crossed they can break the stranglehold the big two have on the Premiership.

I am still surprised how much the pitch at the Cowboys new stadium cuts up, given the heat in Townsville are they over watering it?

The Broncs were as per usual poor against a off form Eels who may have gained a bit of confidence from the win, but they will face much sterner opposition down the track.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Not a good look these officials making mistakes just before we enter the finals. Peranara tonight. That unchecked given try yesterday when the foot touched the line.

As a matter of course we all make mistakes and officials are no different and will ever be so. I have already made a mistake today and so have you. Anthony Seibold did not coach Brisbane tonight as indicated in your team list.

Naturally we all make mistakes, some bigger with more unfortunate consequences than others . My error with Seibold was of lack of observation whilst trying to get info to the forum in double quick time and in good faith using the lists as supplied by NRL.com today.

I apologise for that.

Some of the officiating errors this season have the potential to either affect the outcome of a game or at least the career statistics of players. One experienced commentator on Fox Sports last week, Greg Alexander, actually named the bunker man during the game and said he was wrong and not good enough. While there is scope to 'rest' refs  and other officials who fall below the required standards, the bunker officials seem immune as there apparently aren't enough of them trained up to do the job. Graham Annesley and the ARL Commission have made changes to the bunker for R19 onwards. Of course refs make mistakes and well done to them if they admit that like Henry Perenara did today. I was impressed. How often do you hear that? It did however mean a perfectly good try was ruled out though. At least if they perform below the accepted standards refs know they can be stood down.

Rather than be complacent and defensive, the NRL have taken action because of errors made  by the bunker ahead of the 2020 finals.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/14/annesley-takes-bunker-shake-up-to-commission-after-collins-error/#:~:text=The NRL has relieved its,eve of the 2020 finals.&text="Referees have demonstrated increased confidence to make their own decisions."

It's no good blaming refs who have a job to do and often a split second to make important and telling decisions. If they consistently have a poor game they can be and are dropped.The bunker however should be very, very rarely wrong if at all, given the technology at their disposal and their knowledge of the rules. They have made more mistakes than should be expected.

Manly v Titans

Preview:

Looking at the league table, both these teams are level on points and win/loss record. The Titans though come into this game with momentum having won their last three games. Okay they were playing bottom four teams, but at least they did win!

Manly had lost six in a row before last week, but they did beat Bulldogs last week.

Sea Eagles have plenty of injuries to deal with. Titans have their captain Kevin Proctor back from suspension.

Looks like Titans have the edge.

Why have I tipped Manly then?

Storm v Tigers

Preview

Storm come into this in good form having won 11 of their last 12 matches, despite having had to make line up changes due to injuries and suspension.

They go into this as favourites to extend their run with another win, this time at the expense of Wests Tigers.

Tigers have lost 6 out of their last 8 games and suffered some big defeats when playing teams high up on the ladder.

I suppose there is the chance that Storm might ease off before the finals. Tigers are playing for pride in this one.

Roosters v Sharks

Preview

Sharks are in 8th place on the ladder and safe in making the finals.

This will be a tough test for them against an in form Roosters outfit who've won 7 of their last 8 matches.

They have looked very good in their last outing too. they've hit this great seam of form just at the right time with the finals ahead.

Roosters have come out on top in the last four meetings with the Sharks.

Roosters are favourites then.

9 hours ago, Graham said:

Naturally we all make mistakes, some bigger with more unfortunate consequences than others . My error with Seibold was of lack of observation whilst trying to get info to the forum in double quick time and in good faith using the lists as supplied by NRL.com today.

I apologise for that.

Some of the officiating errors this season have the potential to either affect the outcome of a game or at least the career statistics of players. One experienced commentator on Fox Sports last week, Greg Alexander, actually named the bunker man during the game and said he was wrong and not good enough. While there is scope to 'rest' refs  and other officials who fall below the required standards, the bunker officials seem immune as there apparently aren't enough of them trained up to do the job. Graham Annesley and the ARL Commission have made changes to the bunker for R19 onwards. Of course refs make mistakes and well done to them if they admit that like Henry Perenara did today. I was impressed. How often do you hear that? It did however mean a perfectly good try was ruled out though. At least if they perform below the accepted standards refs know they can be stood down.

Rather than be complacent and defensive, the NRL have taken action because of errors made  by the bunker ahead of the 2020 finals.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/14/annesley-takes-bunker-shake-up-to-commission-after-collins-error/#:~:text=The NRL has relieved its,eve of the 2020 finals.&text="Referees have demonstrated increased confidence to make their own decisions."

It's no good blaming refs who have a job to do and often a split second to make important and telling decisions. If they consistently have a poor game they can be and are dropped.The bunker however should be very, very rarely wrong if at all, given the technology at their disposal and their knowledge of the rules. They have made more mistakes than should be expected.

No need for an apology. You do an excellent job with all your match day presentations on this forum.

Glad to see players taken out of bunker decisions. I see Greg Alexander at the Panthers AGM every year and told him at the last one that the best decision the Board has ever made since my couple of decades as a member was to get rid of Phil Gould.

14 hours ago, Graham said:

Manly v Titans

Preview:

Looking at the league table, both these teams are level on points and win/loss record. The Titans though come into this game with momentum having won their last three games. Okay they were playing bottom four teams, but at least they did win!

Manly had lost six in a row before last week, but they did beat Bulldogs last week.

Sea Eagles have plenty of injuries to deal with. Titans have their captain Kevin Proctor back from suspension.

Looks like Titans have the edge.

Why have I tipped Manly then?

My preview CORRECT

My tipping INCORRECT

FINAL SCORE in this (too) early morning game

MANLY SEA EAGLES 24 - 42 GOLD COAST TITANS

The Storm are looking like they're ready for the finals. Wests have barely had time to take a breath, let alone fight back, and now two players are being helped off the field.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Storm 32:10 Wests - and that's just a half time score!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It’s Storm visiting the scoreboard more though.

The Fox has just got his second try of the game.

Olam happily took a bouncing high ball from Tigers’ kick and put Addo-Carr away and there was no stopping him. He weaved his way round a defender and then dragged Douahi a few yards hanging from his coattails to put the ball down.

Lovely to watch, unless you are a Tigers fan.

Archived