NRL Playoffs

58 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

A champion side doesn't concede 60. Gawn. 

Well they will make history if they win it as no team has won the NRL after conceding 50 points in the regular season.

But I wouldn't have bet against the Roosters at the start of the year and I wouldn't now. As a team, they know how to win the big one and that matters.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

A champion side doesn't concede 60. Gawn. 

They had nothing to play for... in fact this loss may be a positive, if Parramatta win then theyll jump the Roosters and have to go to Melbourne and the Roosters can stay in Sydney to play Penrith, and if Parramatta loses then regardless of what happened against the Rabbitohs the Roosters still would have played Melbourne.

1 minute ago, emesssea said:

They had nothing to play for... in fact this loss may be a positive, if Parramatta win then theyll jump the Roosters and have to go to Melbourne and the Roosters can stay in Sydney to play Penrith, and if Parramatta loses then regardless of what happened against the Rabbitohs the Roosters still would have played Melbourne.

Good stuff. Still scratched them off. 

Further more this whole notion of a team giving up 50 points never winning the premiership is a bit misleading. Looking back till the 2012 season (when the current top 8 format came into place), no team that gave up 50 points finished in the top 4. So its not like 50 points is some voodoo cursed score, its simply the kind of team that gives up 50 points isnt a premiership contending team to begin with, and is more than likely not even finals contending team.

Not to say the Roosters are a lock for the grand final, but to write them off based on an arbitrary scoreline in a match that they probably werent caring much for is a bit short sighted.

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

52-point hiding for the Roosters by Souths (60-8). Scratching them off my possible premiers list.

This was a freakishly bad performance by the Roosters. Totally unprecedented in recent years. At the same time the South Sydney five eighth Cody Walker had an astonishingly good game, closely followed by winger Alex Johnston. 

We will not see the Roosters play so badly again this year. You cannot conclude anything from this game, other than that South Sydney are likely to smash an out of form Newcastle next week, and pose a real challenge to whomever they play in week 2 of the playoffs. The Roosters are still in the hunt for a three peat.

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

You cannot conclude anything from this game, other than that South Sydney are likely to smash an out of form Newcastle next week, and pose a real challenge to whomever they play in week 2 of the playoffs. The Roosters are still in the hunt for a three peat.

I can. The Chooks are cooked.

Final standings:

Penrith, Storm, Parra, Roosters, Raiders, Souths, Knights, Sharks.

R1 winners: Penrith, Storm, Raiders, Souths

R2 winners: Souths, Raiders

Final: Penrith v Raiders

Winners: Penrith

I'll update this when I change my mind in the morning. Think Parra and Roosters are vulnerable and Raiders and Souths have some momentum. Should be interesting and good to see some different teams in there.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

5 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Final standings:

I'll update this when I change my mind in the morning. Think Parra and Roosters are vulnerable and Raiders and Souths have some momentum. Should be interesting and good to see some different teams in there.

I am a Penrith supporter so an interesting prediction. To win the Premiership/ Minor premiership double is extremely tough with,  in the past 10 completed seasons, only 4 out of 10 teams achieving  the double. The current long winning run will make it particularly difficult for us and to be honest I don't think we will do the double.

6 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Final standings:

Doesn’t their play offs give teams second chances. I thought the two highest placed losers stay in so Parra and Roosters would still be in round two. 

It looks like a wide open finals series this year and it wouldn't surprise me if the Storm emerged as winners with their finals experience and "professionalism"

Penrith are the standout team but can they cope with finals pressure.

Parra have been average for a number of weeks now and will need to recapture their early season form.

Roosters Flanagan has goal kicking apart been disappointing in trying to fill Cronk's shoes and with Friend's injuries and Cordnor's numerous head knocks taking their toll they look lacking in  leadership at times,Tedesco needs a massive finals for the Chooks to threepeat.

Of the teams outside the top 4 the Raiders look most likely to make a run at the GF although they haven't really reached the level of last season and Souths,well it depends which Souths team turns up on the day as they seem to lurch from sublime to awful on a regular basis.

Knights & Sharks just making up numbers.

7 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Doesn’t their play offs give teams second chances. I thought the two highest placed losers stay in so Parra and Roosters would still be in round two. 

Yes, and I think Souths and Raiders will beat them in R2 which is why I said they would be the winners...

3736-mipm.gif

I don't think the Eels, Knights and Sharks have enough to win this year... maybe if the Eels were to up their game but I doubt it.

But it really could be any of the other 5 as they could all beat each other on any given day.

With so many Brits, I would love to see a Raiders win but equally a Panthers win would be great as they have been outstanding all year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think the Eels, Knights and Sharks have enough to win this year... maybe if the Eels were to up their game but I doubt it.

But it really could be any of the other 5 as they could all beat each other on any given day.

With so many Brits, I would love to see a Raiders win but equally a Panthers win would be great as they have been outstanding all year.

I’m rooting for the Raiders to , which would allow me to say just as I predicted 

Current odds being offered for the Grand Final winner by the leading bookmakers TAB:

Melbourne $3.25

Penrith $3.50

Sydney Roosters $3.50

Canberra $11.00

South Sydney $15.00

Parramatta $21.00

These odds sound right to me, based on season form, and especially late season form.

I am sure that Melbourne will defeat Parramatta next weekend, and thus be placed one victory from the Grand Final.

Sydney Roosters vs Penrith is a toss up, being played at Penrith in front of 8,000 mostly Penrith fans. However I think that the Roosters have a better team, especially a much better backline and a better pack of forwards. The only clear talent advantages that Penrith will have will be at half back and hooker, especially if Jake Friend doesn’t play. Also I think that Trent Robinson is at least equal best coach in the NRL, and only Craig Bellamy is his peer.

Canberra will easily beat a Cronulla team without playmaker star Shaun Johnson.

South Sydney will easily defeat the Newcastle Knights.

So in week 2 we will see the exit of Parramatta at the hands of either Canberra or South Sydney, and either Penrith or the Roosters will defeat either Canberra or South Sydney.

The rest of the playoffs is a mystery to me. But if the Roosters can defeat Penrith on Friday, then I expect a Sydney Roosters vs Melbourne Grand Final, with Canberra the dark horse for qualifying for the Grand Final.  

As I said at the beginning, the bookmakers are wise, and the winner of Friday’s game looks good to me as being one Grand Final participant.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

So, the Chooks were cooked. 

Who wins now?

Penrith for me,would love to see Canberra win it and I can see them sneaking past Melbourne next week but it will take a toll physically.

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Penrith for me,would love to see Canberra win it and I can see them sneaking past Melbourne next week but it will take a toll physically.

Pretty much my thoughts would love the Raiders to win it for all the English lads plus I think it’s probably this teams last chance as it might start breaking up. As you say though it would be one of the toughest run ins for any grand final winning team. 

On 26/09/2020 at 03:29, George Watt said:

I am a Penrith supporter so an interesting prediction. To win the Premiership/ Minor premiership double is extremely tough with,  in the past 10 completed seasons, only 4 out of 10 teams achieving  the double. The current long winning run will make it particularly difficult for us and to be honest I don't think we will do the double.

I’m 100% so far so you might be in luck 

3736-mipm.gif

22 hours ago, DavidM said:

I can see Souths dumping Penrith out . Hopefully Raiders dump out the cheating hateful Storm and Souths v Raiders would be the GF I’d like to see . 

A really red-hot Souths would have the weapons to eliminate the Panthers, but I kind of hope the latter get to the GF. Not a club I've ever had particular interest in, but this year's team has been remarkable and great to watch.

Canberra v Melbourne - I worry that the Storm will pull off one of those big-match performances they have so much experience of producing. But I've got my fingers crossed for the Raiders and not just because of their current crop of Poms.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived