NRL Playoffs

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

A really red-hot Souths would have the weapons to eliminate the Panthers, but I kind of hope the latter get to the GF. Not a club I've ever had particular interest in, but this year's team has been remarkable and great to watch.

Canberra v Melbourne - I worry that the Storm will pull off one of those big-match performances they have so much experience of producing. But I've got my fingers crossed for the Raiders and not just because of their current crop of Poms.

I agree about the Panthers. Typically, I would want the team with the British players in to win and so would prefer Souths and Tom Burgess.  But this Panthers team have been so good to watch this year it would be a shame to see them miss out.

For the other semi.... Raiders all the way.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike what seems to be a lot of people, I don't hate the Storm... but GO RAIDERS!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/09/2020 at 13:03, ghost crayfish said:

The roosters will win it. It's perfect for Robinson - he's had a chance to rest a lot of his players (from either games, training or both) and the thrashing will have been the perfect wake up call. 

The thrashing as it seems just led to another two losses. OUT!

Cant think of a club that would have won after such a tough run that the Raiders will have if they go all the way. I hope they are the ones to do it though

8 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The thrashing as it seems just led to another two losses. OUT!

Cant think of a club that would have won after such a tough run that the Raiders will have if they go all the way. I hope they are the ones to do it though

Yep turns out I was quite wrong! Have been a bit exposed in a few areas - particularly halfback. Ah well, happy to be wrong. Go raiders!

Whoever wins it - Melbourne Storm for me - what truly fantastic entertainment these finals have prooved to be.

Going forward, and looking at the international game I can't see how any other team will be able to defeat these player's. Yes our lads at Canberra are performing very well, but they are conditioned to the NRL I just fear that those who are only familiar with and know SL conditions will not make the step up.

Sorry for the diversion, but it is a something that has entered my thoughts when watching the speed and skill on show in these games, and I suspect that will be exemplified even more so when the Origin series comes along.

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

what truly fantastic entertainment these finals have prooved to be.

Been fantastic . As good a series of games so far that I can remember . The quality and pace is incredible . Light years ahead . In terms of transferring it to the international arena I think we can put a 17 out to be very competitive , I am pretty confident in terms of the WC . As ever it’s strength in depth that’s an issue 

We have been spoilt rotten the last couple of weeks, I just don`t think I could fault it. The Rabbitohs seem to be able to score at will the last few weeks and it `s going to be fascinating how they match up against an equally confident Panthers.

And the battle of the halves, Cleary vs. Reynolds, master controllers and kickers, and the two magicians Walker vs. Luai.

I`d have to think the Panthers forwards might get over the top of their rivals.

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Been fantastic . As good a series of games so far that I can remember . The quality and pace is incredible . Light years ahead . In terms of transferring it to the international arena I think we can put a 17 out to be very competitive , I am pretty confident in terms of the WC . As ever it’s strength in depth that’s an issue 

When Mr Wane was appointed I thought we have now got a man in charge who will do the getting in between the player's earholes bit, I have no problem with that aspect, but watching these playoffs it is a far different level than we play up here, the Wire v Wigan on Friday was good but would they have got anywhere near those Aussie teams on the same weekend? They are playing faster and more skilful than anything I have previously witnessed, bring on next week.

On 13/10/2020 at 00:04, The Rocket said:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/south-sydney-smashes-110year-club-record/news-story/a3d7dd12cd059ece2e3b6ab833b49bc0

I said a couple of posts ago that Souths appear to be scoring at will lately, well, here`s a bit of proof.

I still fancy the Storm to win it, I would have Munster and the excellent Jarohme Hughes as my halves before any other combo in the league (some may say that is controversial) the wings and fullback are a match for any and the forwards are a very clinical pack who seem to play to instruction and get the job done better than most. Thoughts please Rod.

But whoever wins it we are I believe in for a treat over the next couple of weekends.

I have tipped the Storm and Panthers this weekend but these games are so difficult to call it could easily go the other way (I would be happy as the Brits would be in the Grand Final).

The Roosters have shown the fine balance in this league. The difference between this year and last is the absence of Cooper Cronk and with him I suspect they would still be in the mix.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have tipped the Storm and Panthers this weekend but these games are so difficult to call it could easily go the other way (I would be happy as the Brits would be in the Grand Final).

The Roosters have shown the fine balance in this league. The difference between this year and last is the absence of Cooper Cronk and with him I suspect they would still be in the mix.

It might even be less than that I think with the Roosters it’s just a miss timing issue. If the Grand Final was 6-8 weeks ago i think they’d have won it. Part of the natural ups and downs of the season it’s just their slump has come at the worse time. 

35 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

It might even be less than that I think with the Roosters it’s just a miss timing issue. If the Grand Final was 6-8 weeks ago i think they’d have won it. Part of the natural ups and downs of the season it’s just their slump has come at the worse time. 

Yes, that's a fair comment.  In their two play off losses they were uncharacteristically sloppy in their execution, in particular shift plays where they are usually perfect. 

But they still only lost to the Panthers and Raiders by 1 point and 4 points respectively.

I guess my point is that with Cronk in the side they wouldn't have that sloppiness and those losses may have been reversed. 

But Cronk is retired and so the Roosters knew that they were going into the season with a rookie half and these differences matter.

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, that's a fair comment.  In their two play off losses they were uncharacteristically sloppy in their execution, in particular shift plays where they are usually perfect. 

But they still only lost to the Panthers and Raiders by 1 point and 4 points respectively.

I guess my point is that with Cronk in the side they wouldn't have that sloppiness and those losses may have been reversed. 

But Cronk is retired and so the Roosters knew that they were going into the season with a rookie half and these differences matter.

The loss of Radley and to a lesser extent Verrills in the same game was a huge loss to the Roosters as well as Cordner’s ongoing concussion issues which left him looking like a shadow of the player he’s been over the last few years.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I still fancy the Storm to win it, I would have Munster and the excellent Jarohme Hughes as my halves before any other combo in the league (some may say that is controversial) the wings and fullback are a match for any and the forwards are a very clinical pack who seem to play to instruction and get the job done better than most. Thoughts please Rod.

But whoever wins it we are I believe in for a treat over the next couple of weekends.

Yes that certainly is left field given the opposition. I gather your a fan of the sum of the parts, rather than the parts alone.

I am a big fan of Munster, he`s such a special, not particularly athletic looking and he floats around the defensive line, ducking back and forth with that incredible ability to put the defensive line back on their heels but I fear for both Melbourne and Queensland that he is playing on one leg. What Bellamy has done with Jarome Hughes this year beggars belief, they have been all over the shop with their halves since Cronk left and Hughes was tried and dropped and Croft was meant to be the one and now he`s gone, then almost out of the blue Hughes becomes a first rate half back. That bit of acceleration he seems to have developed where he is now scoring those solo tries has made him very dangerous. And Addo-Carr has gone to another level, just burning other players with his speed, and he`s tough. Papenhuyzen, what do you say, what`s he played 30? first grade games, unbelievable.

Your going to laugh Harry after all that, because I think that Canberra might steamroll them. Wighton is on a mission, Williams is as good as any halfback any where and is dangerous and creative, Batemen is going to want to go out on a high, as an aside I am a big fan of Nic Cotric such a powerful runner, and I think the fullback lifted his game last week and had a blinder, if your going to win the comp your fullback has to be firing, no coincidence Canberra announced the signing of Penriths second string fullback last week, Chance-Klostad is on notice.

If I had to hazard a guess, I`d say a Canberra/ Penrith GF. Ask me next week after that .

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Was it a coincidence that the Rooster's have not been performing as well as previously since Victor Radley got injured?

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Was it a coincidence that the Rooster's have not been performing as well as previously since Victor Radley got injured?

There are so many variables in these things that it is difficult to attribute.

I would have Radley in the Roosters team every day of the week as he is an absolutely top class player but when you look at the cold hard facts, Radley was injured in the Round 7 game and the Roosters had a slightly better win record from Rounds 8 to 20 (9 wins from 13 games/69%) than they did in Rounds 1 to 6 (4 wins from 6 games/67%).

Kyle Flanagan is gonna pay the price . I never thought he was very good and was way overpromoted as a Roosters number 7 . Radley was a big loss as he played a central role in their set up , but ultimately the Roosters just lost form and their mojo at the wrong time . It happens , it’s all about timing . They peaked then fell back and looked pretty tired by the end . Everything ends eventually and the intriguing thing now is how Robinson reacts 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Kyle Flanagan is gonna pay the price . I never thought he was very good and was way overpromoted as a Roosters number 7 . Radley was a big loss as he played a central role in their set up , but ultimately the Roosters just lost form and their mojo at the wrong time . It happens , it’s all about timing . They peaked then fell back and looked pretty tired by the end . Everything ends eventually and the intriguing thing now is how Robinson reacts 

I think you`re being tough on Flanagan, he has played less than 30 games in first grade. Barrett apparently really wants him at the Bulldogs and they say Barrett is good at developing the attacking side of players, so we might see another side of Flanagan emerge.

Your certainly right about the Roosters though, they just looked done at the end there, but they certainly won`t have lost too many fans, they went down like champions should, fighting bravely till the end.

Robinson, the pressure is off a little now, they can have a good break and he will probably have his timing right next year.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/how-your-nrl-team-helped-melbourne-storm-become-a-powerhouse/news-story/9c539e63ecf29e5c76606e203e6cd20b

Harry I`ll throw this on here for you, it was in one of the OZ papers here today and you mightn`t get access to it in case your interested. Rocket.

11 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Your certainly right about the Roosters though, they just looked done at the end there, but they certainly won`t have lost too many fans, they went down like champions should, fighting bravely till the end.

You could say they did well to achieve what they did and make those play off games so close . They were doing a lot on sheer grit

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I think you`re being tough on Flanagan, he has played less than 30 games in first grade. Barrett apparently really wants him at the Bulldogs and they say Barrett is good at developing the attacking side of players, so we might see another side of Flanagan emerge.

Robinson, the pressure is off a little now, they can have a good break and he will probably have his timing right next year.

Flanagan has been told by the Roosters that he won't get a contract after 2021 and so Robinson clearly sees him as a weak link that won't improve.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/14/flanagan-to-explore-options-after-roosters-deliver-2021-end-date/

Feels to me like they are giving him an option to get out early.

Archived