NRL Playoffs

13 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Flanagan has been told by the Roosters that he won't get a contract after 2021 and so Robinson clearly sees him as a weak link that won't improve.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/14/flanagan-to-explore-options-after-roosters-deliver-2021-end-date/

Feels to me like they are giving him an option to get out early.

He would be a "star" performer over here, until the form Williams has shown this season probably better than anything else we as a nation could offer.

Just my opinion of course.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

He would be a "star" performer over here, until the form Williams has shown this season probably better than anything else we as a nation could offer.

Just my opinion of course.

At this stage of his career,there are a number of better halfbacks in Superleague than Flanagan who has been disappointing this season.

15 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Again opinions Dav, we all see something good or bad in different player's, "dissapointing" really?

Yeah disappointing,that’s why he was dropped mid season & only got back into the team when Lam went down injured and the fact the Roosters are looking at other options it’s an opinion shared by arguably the best coach in the game.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah disappointing,that’s why he was dropped mid season & only got back into the team when Lam went down injured and the fact the Roosters are looking at other options it’s an opinion shared by arguably the best coach in the game.

Hopefully if Flanagan does go to the Bulldogs and Barrett as the Rocket intimates brings out the best in him Barrett could give Robinson a pointer or two on player development.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hopefully if Flanagan does go to the Bulldogs and Barrett as the Rocket intimates brings out the best in him Barrett could give Robinson a pointer or two on player development.

Given the pairs coaching records,I doubt Robinson will be asking for pointers,maybe the fact that the Bulldogs won't be in Premiership contention in the near future might benefit Flanagan's development.

40 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

At this stage of his career,there are a number of better halfbacks in Superleague than Flanagan who has been disappointing this season.

Didnt set the world alight but based on  his age and experience he did pretty well. I could be wrong, but I imagine he is the youngest starting half or five eight in the nrl. He will be much better next year having a full year under his belt.

But agree, I'd take Hastings, Seazer, Widdop, Maloney, Gale and maybe Trueman over him.

18 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Didnt set the world alight but based on  his age and experience he did pretty well. I could be wrong, but I imagine he is the youngest starting half or five eight in the nrl. He will be much better next year having a full year under his belt.

But agree, I'd take Hastings, Seazer, Widdop, Maloney, Gale and maybe Trueman over him.

He will be better next year but with young halves Lam & Sam Walker coming through,Robinson seems to think they are better options than Flanagan who only signed a 2 year deal.

17 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Flanagan has been told by the Roosters that he won't get a contract after 2021 and so Robinson clearly sees him as a weak link that won't improve.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/14/flanagan-to-explore-options-after-roosters-deliver-2021-end-date/

Feels to me like they are giving him an option to get out early.

LOL.

They aren't getting rid of him because they don't think he will improve; they are getting rid of him because they are the Roosters, and they're not prepared to wait for him to improve!

Anyone with a brain and a pair of eyeballs can see the kid has plenty of potential, but it's going to take experience and good coaching for that to happen, which takes time, and the Roosters aren't the sort of club that is willing to risk a season or two waiting for a young half to come into his own.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

LOL.

They aren't getting rid of him because they don't think he will improve; they are getting rid of him because they are the Roosters, and they're not prepared to wait for him to improve!

Anyone with a brain and a pair of eyeballs can see the kid has plenty of potential, but it's going to take experience and good coaching for that to happen, which takes time, and the Roosters aren't the sort of club that is willing to risk a season or two waiting for a young half to come into his own.

Well, that's professional sport for you. And professional sport at the elite level in particular. 

Flanagan is 22 years old which is the same age as Nathan Cleary.  Trent Robinson has obviously evaluated where he thinks Flanagan will be at the end of 2021 as a 23 year old half and determined that he will not be at the level that is required to win a Premiership. Its tough on him but, again, this is professional sport at work. I am sure that Flanagan will find a side but I am not sure that he will find a side that will win the NRL.

The bottom line is that Robinson is a very good coach and well qualified to make this call. He does after all know the game better than me and (and this may come as a surprise) you.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Half back as interesting one. If you can find a good one you can get 10+ years out of them, but finding them is the hard part. Look at the Tigers banging their head against a wall with Luke Brooks year in , year out.

I read the other day the Roosters had Cody Nikorima`s brother on their books a couple of years ago for $350 000, you wouldn`t have known he was even there. I suppose he was a bit like Flanangan, ultimately dispensable as soon as they thought he wasn`t up to it.

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well, that's professional sport for you. And professional sport at the elite level in particular. 

Flanagan is 22 years old which is the same age as Nathan Cleary.  Trent Robinson has obviously evaluated where he thinks Flanagan will be at the end of 2021 as a 23 year old half and determined that he will not be at the level that is required to win a Premiership. Its tough on him but, again, this is professional sport at work. I am sure that Flanagan will find a side but I am not sure that he will find a side that will win the NRL.

The bottom line is that Robinson is a very good coach and well qualified to make this call. He does after all know the game better than me and (and this may come as a surprise) you.

Bit harsh comparing him to Cleary who has probably been the best rugby league player in the world during 2020 (assuming he wins the Dally M award).

I'd be surprised if they let him go without bringing someone in as Lachlan Lam hasn't exactly set the world alight or leaving it to a 18 year old kid (Sam Walker).

But hey, who am I to question Trent Robinson.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Well that's the complete opposite of what you were saying before... Good job basically repeating my opinion back to me though lol.

The thing is though that you say 'this is professional sport at work', but lets be real, aside from a handful of clubs (Rooster, arguably Melbourne, and the Broncos when they aren't being run incompetently), most clubs don't have the luxury to just throw away such a good prospect because they don't think that he'll be able to win them a premiership in the next season. In fact many clubs would be forced to totally compromise there salary cap just to keep a couple of prospects of Flanagan's ability on the roster.

Which raises questions about the Roosters and/or the NRL's supposedly fair salary cap system that people don't want to talk about honestly.

Also it's pretty unfair to compare Flanagan to Cleary. Sure Cleary's only a year older, but Cleary's got about 60ish first grade games on Flanagan. If you compare the Cleary of a few years ago (i.e. the same point in their development as a player) to the Flanagan of today then they're at a pretty similar level, and with some experience, the right commitment and coaching, and a good dose of luck, there's no reason why Flanagan couldn't develop into a player every bit as good as Cleary is now.

For the two posts above. I am not comparing Flanagan to Clearly, I am pointing out that they are both 22 years old and if Flanagan had the potential to be an NRL winning half he would have shown it by now... and I don't mean the finished article, I mean the potential. 

Robinson has taken a good look for a year (as we all have) and decided he hasn't. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

42 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Well that's the complete opposite of what you were saying before... Good job basically repeating my opinion back to me though lol.

In what way? I said he is a weak link and being shown the door. 

As we agree, that is the harsh reality of professional sport.

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

For the two posts above. I am not comparing Flanagan to Clearly, I am pointing out that they are both 22 years old and if Flanagan had the potential to be an NRL winning half he would have shown it by now... and I don't mean the finished article, I mean the potential. 

Robinson has taken a good look for a year (as we all have) and decided he hasn't. 

I feel half-backs don't truly develop until they are in the mid-twenties, and the Roosters aren't the type of team that waits around for a year for their young players to bed in and get better for a go at the premiership the next year, they are the type of team that want to be contenders every year, and Flanagan has clearly shown that he isn't a winning Half for the next few years.

I don't think that says that in say 5-6 years time, he won't be winning a premiership with the Bulldogs or another team. Some players just take longer to develop to their full potential than others.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not necessarily, especially if they haven't had the opportunity for much game time in the NRL, which has been the case for Flanagan because until this year he was stuck behind well established halves at Cronulla.

As far as we know nobody has decided he doesn't have the potential except you, and again there's a massive difference between not thinking he's ready to steer a side to a premiership next season and not thinking he's got the potential to become a premiership winning halfback at all.

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

In what way? I said he is a weak link and being shown the door. 

As we agree, that is the harsh reality of professional sport.

Mate, you've gone from saying the Roosters don't think he'll ever be a top NRL half, to saying he does have the potential it just isn't going to happen overnight and the Roosters aren't willing to wait, to now saying he doesn't have the potential to be an NRL half.

You can't have it both ways.

23 hours ago, Davo5 said:

A thought occured to me re better half's and Mr Robinson's selection of Drew Hutchinson probably the worst half in all the NRL, don't forget I watched Hutchinson for a full season in the Championship Dav, he even struggled in that division.

5 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Mate, you've gone from saying the Roosters don't think he'll ever be a top NRL half, to saying he does have the potential it just isn't going to happen overnight and the Roosters aren't willing to wait, to now saying he doesn't have the potential to be an NRL half.

No I haven't.  You need to re-read this thread.

I have been consistent on this. The Roosters have decided he is not going to develop into an NRL winning half and are looking elsewhere. I tend to agree but it is Trent Robinson's opinion that matters here, not mine.

It's a pity for the lad and I hope he finds another club and does well.

8 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A thought occured to me re better half's and Mr Robinson's selection of Drew Hutchinson probably the worst half in all the NRL, don't forget I watched Hutchinson for a full season in the Championship Dav, he even struggled in that division.

The fact Robinson had to use his 4th choice halfback tells you everything about Flanagan’s form at that time.

I genuinely hope the lad goes on and has a successful career and maybe playing without the expectancy to be a Premiership winner will help him flourish.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

The fact Robinson had to use his 4th choice halfback tells you everything about Flanagan’s form at that time.

I genuinely hope the lad goes on and has a successful career and maybe playing without the expectancy to be a Premiership winner will help him flourish.

Wasn't Hutchinson covering for Keary while he was injured and Flanagan was doing very well if I recall?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wasn't Hutchinson covering for Keary while he was injured and Flanagan was doing very well if I recall?

It is a long season with lots of variations but he was certainly dropped at one point.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/05/robinson-flanagan-dropped-not-rested/

Archived