NRL Playoffs

3 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

* Latest tactic of Melbourne, stopping the play when someone supposedly injured, nice little rest, ready to defend next set,

So blatant when N A-S went down following a tackle. Next play he was chasing the kick! 

The game needs to turn the clock back to when players were attended to with the game continuing. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You reckon you got it bad, because it was in Brisbane and covid, we had the B-team on channel 9, Paul Vautin whos idea of a joke is to exaggerate wildly e.g. he`s played a million games !! and thurston with that mouth breathers laugh every two minutes. Bad night all round.                                                                       

Yeah, all year we get the feed from Fox but for the GF and Origin, sad to say, we get Channel 9's coverage. No matter how OTT Vossy gets, it still beats listening to Gus Gould with his "Don't start me Rabs" nonsense. 

Just now, Number 16 said:

So blatant when N A-S went down following a tackle. Next play he was chasing the kick! 

The game needs to turn the clock back to when players were attended to with the game continuing. 

Turning the clock back is no good, they still get a rest and that was the one that really stuck in my craw, real nice little breather ready for big set of six in defence. You reckon that Bellamy doesn`t coach these little bull---- plays, you`re dreaming. He and Smith are the masters. How many stoppages were there tonight with players clutching at something, Melbourne are great front runners, they`ll choke you out of the game after their in front.

10 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

You reckon you got it bad, because it was in Brisbane and covid, we had the B-team on channel 9, Paul Vautin whos idea of a joke is to exaggerate wildly e.g. he`s played a million games !! and thurston with that mouth breathers laugh every two minutes. Bad night all round.                                                                       

If you think they are bad try listening to Blocker.....he needs to go for a commentators HIA.

1 hour ago, thirteenthman said:

Vossy's been doing this all season. The 'banter' with his co-commentators gets a bit much at times. In previous years it's felt just like his natural enthusiasm, but this year it just feels a bit forced.

Forced. I agree.

Like he’s trying to sell rugby league. He doesn’t really need to do that when the quality has been so high and, more to the point, he’s on a subscription channel called Fox League.

5 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

English people moaning about commentators when we have Brian Carney who struggles to read fixtures out, Brian and Terry, who are unbearable and have some of the worst chat known to man and Jon Wells with his weekly tripe. 

Exactly . What we have is embarrassing . Vossy is the best commentator and  best advocate of our game on telly . He’s outstanding , he’s not parochial and he genuinely loves the game , I don’t think it’s forced at all . He’s the only one who gives a mention and any respect to the game here and sells the product brilliantly . My mam knows nowt about the game but loves Vossy on comms when she hears him as he’s a laugh and has a good time doing the job . Our guys make you wanna stick knitting needles in your ears 

Prefer Warren Smith since Vossy’s been overdoing it.

Not saying Voss is terrible by any stretch, and he is on a different planet to Sky’s crew. Just think he could dial down the hyperbole a notch because it’s coming across a little contrived like it’s sales & marketing patter.

9 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

English people moaning about commentators when we have Brian Carney who struggles to read fixtures out, Brian and Terry, who are unbearable and have some of the worst chat known to man and Jon Wells with his weekly tripe. 

Thanks for being the first person to point out the quality of our commentators, I am sure no one has ever mentioned them before over here

19 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Turning the clock back is no good, they still get a rest and that was the one that really stuck in my craw, real nice little breather ready for big set of six in defence. You reckon that Bellamy doesn`t coach these little bull---- plays, you`re dreaming. He and Smith are the masters. How many stoppages were there tonight with players clutching at something, Melbourne are great front runners, they`ll choke you out of the game after their in front.

No, what I meant by 'turning the clock back' was back to the 80s and 90s when play continued whilst a player was receiving treatment on the pitch. His team played with only twelve men whilst the medic was on. 

No advantage to the injured player's team. 

Clearly, there is a need for strict protocols for serious injuries. 

35 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Initially that depends on how good an actor that player is, meaning will he fool the ref into stopping play.

I agree with you that something needs to be done, but if a ref let's a serious injury pass he will get lambasted.

I enjoyed both games but Saturday was never really close and this morning had too many errors.  Last week's games were actually better to watch but the nerves of being one game away from the Grand Final probably took their toll.

I like the Panthers and I hope they get the win next week.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I thought Adam Reynolds 40/20 attempt with 5 ? to go deserved a mention. He pulls that off and it`s a full set of six 15 out, I reckon it would have been hard to stop them from scoring from there and that could well have been game Souths. Unlikely they could have got themselves back up to face Storm next week though, probably the best result.

On 17/10/2020 at 18:28, Number 16 said:

No, what I meant by 'turning the clock back' was back to the 80s and 90s when play continued whilst a player was receiving treatment on the pitch. His team played with only twelve men whilst the medic was on. 

No advantage to the injured player's team. 

Feigning injury as a tactic to either gain a rest or earn a penalty does seem to be creeping into the game. The milking by Josh Morris caused a real stink over here recently, they very quickly get a reputation, as was evidenced by the ref`s ignoring Morris`s playing for a penalty when the Canberra fullback took him over the sideline a metre out last week. Ironically the tackle was high but I am sure the furore surrounding Morris`s behaviour in that previous episode meant the referee ignored his plea. Hopefully we will see the same discretion being applied if these type of tactics start to proliferate.

In a couple of games recently we have seen the ridiculous situation of trainers waving for a halt in play when the injured player is 40 metres from the action.

I do like the idea of players being taken aside or play being moved to allow the continuation of play in cases where the injury does not appear to be too serious.

For me, the idea that a coach like Bellamy would have players go down on the fifth, to create a delay in play for his players to catch their breath even talk to the kicker to determine the tactic on the last play is not beyond the realms of possibility to me. Any way worth watching out for.

23 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I thought Adam Reynolds 40/20 attempt with 5 ? to go deserved a mention. He pulls that off and it`s a full set of six 15 out, I reckon it would have been hard to stop them from scoring from there and that could well have been game Souths. Unlikely they could have got themselves back up to face Storm next week though, probably the best result.

I think that’s poor execution . You see this a lot and it is quite frustrating , kickers around the 40 who belt it toward the touch line and have a foot on or over the line . If you’re gonna do that you must make sure you’re in the 40 so you get maximum reward if it finds touch in the 20 . He was making that play deliberately but just didn’t step back enough . That was a huge play . The 40/20 is a big attacking role of the dice , I’m surprised we don’t see a lot more 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think that’s poor execution . You see this a lot and it is quite frustrating , kickers around the 40 who belt it toward the touch line and have a foot on or over the line . If you’re gonna do that you must make sure you’re in the 40 so you get maximum reward if it finds touch in the 20 . He was making that play deliberately but just didn’t step back enough . That was a huge play . The 40/20 is a big attacking role of the dice , I’m surprised we don’t see a lot more 

Was a hell of a kick though, the angle and the way he kicked it to skew over the sideline the way it did. The Penrith fullbacks reaction, just standing there watching it, said it all. Incredible isn`t it, he stands 30cm back, Souths possibly in the GF.

He`s a great player though and in his own way an ornament to the game.

On 16/10/2020 at 08:04, Hela Wigmen said:

Please stop your St Helens' rooted, baseless smear of former Wigan champion winger Brian Carney, who also has a law degree from the University of Dublin. Brian Carney has one of the finest minds in the game.

Archived