NRL Playoffs

You The top 8 NRL teams who will compete in the playoffs, which will lead to the NRL Grand Final, has been determined. It is:

1 Penrith Panthers

2. Melbourne Storm.

3. Sydney Roosters

4. Parramatta Eels

5.Canberra Raiders

6. South Sydney Rabbitohs

7. Newcastle Knights

8. Cronulla Sharks.

The top 4 places, which are important because those teams get 2 chances of moving to the next stage, have not all been finalized. Penrith and Melbourne have secured a top 4 place. It is between Sydney Roosters , Parramatta Eels, and Canberra Raiders  for the remaining  two top 4 spots. That group could be finally determined after this weekend’s round is completed. Sydney Roosters, if they beat Cronulla on Saturday night, will be guaranteed one of those top 4 places.

In my opinion two out of Sydney Roosters, Melbourne Storm, and Penrith Panthers, will meet in the Grand Final. Canberra has a less likely prospect. Parramatta and South Sydney have an outside prospect. Newcastle and Cronulla appear to have no chance at all of reaching the Grand Final.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Roosters will be up there and Canberra v Parra will be a major decider

Parramatta need to find out where their mojo went.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have a feeling that the Storm will emerge from this series with the winners' rings. 

It may be a cliche but the Panthers are due a dip in form, plus, more than any other contender, they rely on one man, Nathan Cleary. They can't afford to lose him for even one game.

The Chooks should make the GF where I predict they'll again meet Melbourne. This time, in Cam Smith's last game for the club, I expect Storm to win. 

Until today's loss to the Doggies I felt that Souths had an outside chance of going all the way. 

What a fantastic competition the NRL is. Looking at the table, any one of the top 6 is capable of winning the Grand Final and there are some superb games coming up.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Storm - Chucks final for me. 

Sorry to inform you, but the Chucks have not yet been admitted to the NRL. In fact I am not sure who they are.  But if and when they are admitted I will remember to let you know.

I am still unable to say with any certainty which two teams will be in the Grand Final, let alone which team will win it. 

Injuries, and less likely, suspensions, to key players could be the decider.

Penrith cannot win without Nathan Cleary and Apisai Korisau.

Melbourne cannot win without the two Camerons, Smith and Munster.

Sydney Roosters cannot win without Luke Keary and James Tedesco. 

Canberra cannot win without all four of Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton, John Bateman, and George Williams. The other three fancied clubs can make up for injuries to first choice players other than their best two, because they have great depth. In that sense Canberra are more vulnerable to failure through injuries.

As I see it, it's Penrith's to lose. If they don't ###### their 'dacks' and just play their natural game, they will be Premiers.

That said, I'd want to see how they - in particular Ivan Cleary - handle the pressure of finals football before putting my money where my mouth is. Other coaches - Robinson, Bellamy and to a lesser extent Stuart - have been there, done it and got the T-shirt.  

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Penrith V Roosters Grand Final

I agree - Penrith form team all year and playing some fantastic footy. Its was just the Roosters bad start that's put them further back on the table, easily the 2nd best team all year behind Penrith.

Hoping for a Panthers win !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Someone said on here the other day only two coaches in the past thirty years ,who didn`t win a premiership in their first six years , have managed to win one after that date.

History is against Cleary. 14 years in the top grade.

16 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I have a feeling that the Storm will emerge from this series with the winners' rings. 

It may be a cliche but the Panthers are due a dip in form, plus, more than any other contender, they rely on one man, Nathan Cleary. They can't afford to lose him for even one game.

The Chooks should make the GF where I predict they'll again meet Melbourne. This time, in Cam Smith's last game for the club, I expect Storm to win. 

Until today's loss to the Doggies I felt that Souths had an outside chance of going all the way. 

I think Jarome Luai is just as important for Penrith as Cleary and often doesn't get any credit as it all goes Clearys way. 

In attack Luai is a bigger threat than Cleary and I think Penrith are well drilled enough to still implement their systems even if Cleary was injured (similar to Roosters who have been swapping halves all year) so I wouldn't write them off if Cleary was missing. 

I do think if Korisau and Cleary were missing they would have no chance, but you could probably take the starting 9 and 7 out of all the contenders and say the same thing. 

That is an amazing result but don't rule out the Roosters.  That team can win the Grand Final.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

They’re a double grand final winning side crammed with top talent who’ve  been there seen it done it , and have put in some great efforts this season to . Freak result , I’ve no fears for them , if anything they could be even more driven after that and after Robinson has got into them . 

Archived