Sam Burgess comeback?

Number 16

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I can. Look at the Sonny Bill comeback and the way the NRL allowed the Roosters to bend the rules. 

But SBW coming back didn’t break any salary cap rules,Souths got a salary cap exemption for the remaining 2 yrs of his contract which they have used.

Allowing Burgess back would open a can of worms regarding medical retirement & salary cap exemptions which the NRL will want to avoid.

Bennet wants international RL to succeed, encourages Sam to come back , keeps him in cotton wool all year, by the time the WC rolls around he will be ready to go, one last hurrah, for me he is the one last piece for the English pack, inspirational leader and champion, with Sam Burgess in  Englands  team  and playing at home , whole different ball game. Lock or prop ?

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Bennet wants international RL to succeed, encourages Sam to come back , keeps him in cotton wool all year, by the time the WC rolls around he will be ready to go, one last hurrah, for me he is the one last piece for the English pack, inspirational leader and champion, with Sam Burgess in  Englands  team  and playing at home , whole different ball game. Lock or prop ?

Will Bennet even be at Souths next year ?

Souths haven't got the cap space to sign a fully fit Burgess never mind a Sam Burgess that needs nursed through a season.

50 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

If he does come back I’d pick him in the England squad just so he’s there to rally the troops, even if he’s just a bit-part player.

He could do that as an assistant coach, or water carrier, not as a part player.  He is either fit or not. Can he/we make up minds?  And really are we to be messed about with will he won't he business in some sort of soap opera ending in how we become beholden to him.

37 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But SBW coming back didn’t break any salary cap rules,Souths got a salary cap exemption for the remaining 2 yrs of his contract which they have used.

Allowing Burgess back would open a can of worms regarding medical retirement & salary cap exemptions which the NRL will want to avoid.

Indeed it already ruffled some feathers when Inglis signed for Warrington when Souths got him off their books for the following season. I feel the furore died out relatively quickly as Inglis is going to play in a different comp. However if Burgess attempted to come back to Souths, especially after they already got the benefit for Inglis as well there would definitely be some questions raised by other clubs. 

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Will Bennet even be at Souths next year ?

Souths haven't got the cap space to sign a fully fit Burgess never mind a Sam Burgess that needs nursed through a season.

Bennet has made it clear he wants to continue as a fulltime coach. There is absolutely nothing linking him to another club and it won`t hurt Demetriou to work under him for another year. Bennet seems to have got his mojo back as well.

Burgess may be cheap(er) because of his injured status and like Inglis not doing it for the money, the NRL has shown a willingness to bend the rules. No Sualia as well for Souths.

you're a long time retired, so if he feels his body is up to it, im all for it. I do wonder what his motivation would be though. Is it as he wants to finish on his terms, or just missing playing the game, you wouldn't have thought it would be money as Sam must have tucked away a fair few quid.

If its about playing the game and wanting a final shot with England at a WC than maybe a season in SL would be a better option, though unlikely. Certainly easier on the body.

As has been mentioned, a return at Souths would open a can of worms regarding the salary cap.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

If he came back I would hope he would be more of an impact forward rather than playing 80 minutes every week. His playing style was the reason he had to retire early. 

He played 80 minutes as if he was a 20 minute interchange forward and didn't stop until the final whistle went. 

Im unsure what will happen with regards to the cap. Souths have signed Arrow for next year and they were looking to offload Johnston for cap space but they have resigned him. They may have to offload a few players. 

I really hope he doesn’t . The full medical report on his shoulder was serious reading. It was in a chronic state . He might feel in his head running around a training paddock like he can come back but I wouldn’t risk it , it’s so brutal I’d fear he’d be left in an even worse state . He was waning towards the end so he’s got a good gig in the coaching ranks , stick to that 

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

He's a Dewsbury lad. He'll be desperate to come and play for the Bulls at Dewsbury. Unfortunately, he's at least 5 years too young for Kear to consider signing him.

Has he played for Kear before, as that seems to be a prerequisite also...

37 minutes ago, dkw said:

Has he played for Kear before, as that seems to be a prerequisite also...

Not as far as I know but, he has other qualiities ... he's past his best and can do both the five drives and the kick.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived