Gavin Henson - signed first West Wales

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

A big name, big reputation and has always wanted to give RL a go.

The question marks will be over how many times he actually makes it on the pitch.

Good for him for giving it a go. Hope he gets a reasonable season or two and WWR get some publicity and few more in the crowd 

A good news story that as a Weshman always fancied doing league too

Well done the Welsh club.

Hopefully this will help with sponsorship etc, and there just may be a few Welsh RU fans who live nearby but had no idea the RL club existed who may spend a few ££ and go to a game or two next season.

They may even enjoy it.

Also this team were never the greatest draw for the fans of other clubs so some of those fans who pick and choose their home games may just go along when they are in town.

So how well do we think he’ll go? As well as Dwain Chambers? Andy Powell? Gareth Thomas or Luther Burrell?

Granted he’s not playing in the top division like any of those did but it’ll still be tough in League 1. Hats off to him for giving it a go and a great publicity coup for WWR

3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

So how well do we think he’ll go? As well as Dwain Chambers? Andy Powell? Gareth Thomas or Luther Burrell?

Granted he’s not playing in the top division like any of those did but it’ll still be tough in League 1. Hats off to him for giving it a go and a great publicity coup for WWR

I mean if they win a game it will be a success?

Hopefully they can leverage his reputation to grow the sport down there a bit more and get some quality players in.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I mean if they win a game it will be a success?

Hopefully they can leverage his reputation to grow the sport down there a bit more and get some quality players in.

I think they’ll be looking for more than just winning 1 game. They did that last year and were looking to kick on further this year 

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I think they’ll be looking for more than just winning 1 game. They did that last year and were looking to kick on further this year 

Fair enough I don't keep up to date with their results but you get what I mean, success is from a very low base.

9 hours ago, DoubleD said:

He was a very good international union half and has kept himself in decent nick.

Even at 38 I think he'll be just fine in third tier rugby of any code..... Hopefully even better than fine

It really is nothing like Thomas, Burrell or Powell trying to play Super league at the end of their career

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

No negative comments after 23 posts, is this a forum record?

Sorry, but I haven't been able to stop laughing long enough to post anything, he might be World Famous in Wales but so are Leeks and they have more backbone.

7 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Sorry, but I haven't been able to stop laughing long enough to post anything, he might be World Famous in Wales but so are Leeks and they have more backbone.

Thank you. Your 100% meaningless analogy has restored my faith in the desperation of some people to wring the tiniest drops of mean-spirited sourness from any given situation.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Thank you. Your 100% meaningless analogy has restored my faith in the desperation of some people to wring the tiniest drops of mean-spirited sourness from any given situation.

Don't mention it, the pleasure was all mine, Henson must be overcome with excitement to join a winning team.

34 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

He was a very good international union half and has kept himself in decent nick.

Even at 38 I think he'll be just fine in third tier rugby of any code..... Hopefully even better than fine

It really is nothing like Thomas, Burrell or Powell trying to play Super league at the end of their career

I think you underestimate the quality of sides in League 1, there’s some very good players plying their trade. Henson has never played the game before, he’ll struggle in my opinion 

For the game itself in Wales and a team who have struggled thata a major coup. 

On 19/09/2020 at 12:07, DoubleD said:

The thing is he was a world class player. The pace may have gone but hell still have all the skills. WWR players could actually learn from him. A first step into coaching anyone?

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

15 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

There’s more n more good and experienced players in league , the standard among the top half especially is strong and competitive . Watching on the touchline is eye opening - if he’s not conditioned and up to it he’ll get completely smashed 

56 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

The thing is he was a world class player. The pace may have gone but hell still have all the skills. WWR players could actually learn from him. A first step into coaching anyone?

Skills yes, and certainly the other players can learn from him so he’s without a doubt an asset. However, that doesn’t mean he won’t struggle, both with the pace of the game, the physical nature and the fact he’s never played the game before 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

There’s more n more good and experienced players in league , the standard among the top half especially is strong and competitive . Watching on the touchline is eye opening - if he’s not conditioned and up to it he’ll get completely smashed 

Interesting to hear that from a few folk like yourself David

Does fly in the face of a lot of people here saying their just aren't enough good players to sustain the leagues we have

I've watched 6/7 Skolars games since Hemel dropped out of the league (as my new second Pro team)..... Its fun to watch but no one has blown me away in terms of what I've seen. Not saying at 44 I'd fancy getting on the park but at 24 I wouldn't have been terrified.... And I wasn't that great

good publicity, I give him 2 games before he drops it. L1 isnt a joke, there are some good teams and players there who will gladly take the opportunity to bray the most overrated rugby player of the last 20 years. I hope they Cipriani next.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Archived