Gavin Henson - signed first West Wales

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Interesting to hear that from a few folk like yourself David

Does fly in the face of a lot of people here saying their just aren't enough good players to sustain the leagues we have

I've watched 6/7 Skolars games since Hemel dropped out of the league (as my new second Pro team)..... Its fun to watch but no one has blown me away in terms of what I've seen. Not saying at 44 I'd fancy getting on the park but at 24 I wouldn't have been terrified.... And I wasn't that great

I think I played against you and I can confirm you weren’t that great.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

good publicity, I give him 2 games before he drops it. L1 isnt a joke, there are some good teams and players there who will gladly take the opportunity to bray the most overrated rugby player of the last 20 years. I hope they Cipriani next.

I dont think he would play centre and could possibly struggle at first.

He doesn't come across as a quitter though and let's not forget he played at the very highest level in union.

On 20/09/2020 at 16:53, Tex Evans Thigh said:

good publicity, I give him 2 games before he drops it. L1 isnt a joke, there are some good teams and players there who will gladly take the opportunity to bray the most overrated rugby player of the last 20 years. I hope they Cipriani next.

You don’t become an international rugby player by being a quitter. 

On 21/09/2020 at 12:58, Eddie said:

You don’t become an international rugby player by being a quitter. 

happily have a wager that he wont see out the season.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

On 21/09/2020 at 08:11, yipyee said:

I dont think he would play centre and could possibly struggle at first.

He doesn't come across as a quitter though and let's not forget he played at the very highest level in union.

Where will he play then? In the pack - surely not. Not skillful enough to play half and too many involvements to play wing or fullback. Imagine he can only play centre really. 2 games was a bit tongue in cheek but I dont think he'll see out the season. Trying to play semi pro RL for the first time at 38 isn't easy. I find it a tad disrespectful to the division and players in it that people think he'll do well. 

3736-mipm.gif

9 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Where will he play then? In the pack - surely not. Not skillful enough to play half and too many involvements to play wing or fullback. Imagine he can only play centre really. 2 games was a bit tongue in cheek but I dont think he'll see out the season. Trying to play semi pro RL for the first time at 38 isn't easy. I find it a tad disrespectful to the division and players in it that people think he'll do well. 

I would see him as a stand off. 

He played centre/10/FB in union and has a good kicking game. Playing 10 would also limit contact so would help manage fitness.

I dont think its disrespectful to say he will do well. I dont see how you can draw that conclusion that a legend of rugby is playing again at a low level. Its more about saying how good henson is rather than how poor the league is.

He has played rugby at the highest level and thrived. 

RL aint that much different maybe less so in the contact aspects, more technical in union bigger collisions in league, but core skills catching tackling passing kicking etc he is a master of. This isnt dwayne chambers who has never touched a rugby ball in his life.

Really happy to see West Wales sign someone like Henson as it shows some real ambition from the club and a proactive step to address some of the issues relating to the franchise, such as their ability to grow their profile, attract and retain talent and become a more professional outfit.

Henson, regardless how he might perform on the field, has already generated more positive coverage for West Wales than anything else in their short history and will continue to do so at least until his first match.

He is likely to help with West Wales in helping attract talent, simply because of his profile, and secondly he will bring a professional ethic to training and match day (you don't succeed like he has in any sport or stay fit post your career without being well disciplined).

How he goes on the field is a little inconsequential in the scheme of things, however I do hope he goes well.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

9 hours ago, yipyee said:

I would see him as a stand off. 

He played centre/10/FB in union and has a good kicking game. Playing 10 would also limit contact so would help manage fitness.

I dont think its disrespectful to say he will do well. I dont see how you can draw that conclusion that a legend of rugby is playing again at a low level. Its more about saying how good henson is rather than how poor the league is.

He has played rugby at the highest level and thrived. 

RL aint that much different maybe less so in the contact aspects, more technical in union bigger collisions in league, but core skills catching tackling passing kicking etc he is a master of. This isnt dwayne chambers who has never touched a rugby ball in his life.

I disagree with almost all of that apart from that he’s a good kicker. He’s going to find it really difficult. By playing 10 I assume you mean 6 (stand off). He’ll get traffic sent at him all day and will be experiencing contact that is difficult to adapt to at 38.

3736-mipm.gif

55 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I disagree with almost all of that apart from that he’s a good kicker. He’s going to find it really difficult. By playing 10 I assume you mean 6 (stand off). He’ll get traffic sent at him all day and will be experiencing contact that is difficult to adapt to at 38.

Defensively union players often find it tough . Up and back constantly , then doing more tackles and defensive efforts than a lot  would do in most of a season . And then you’ve got to run it in and contribute with the ball . It’s completely different and a big ask , especially at that age . I genuinely wish the bloke well , it’s a courageous move , but if he’s not absolutely tuned in and ready he’ll be smashed up and knackered even at this level .

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Defensively union players often find it tough . Up and back constantly , then doing more tackles and defensive efforts than a lot  would do in most of a season . And then you’ve got to run it in and contribute with the ball . It’s completely different and a big ask , especially at that age . I genuinely wish the bloke well , it’s a courageous move , but if he’s not absolutely tuned in and ready he’ll be smashed up and knackered even at this level .

Completely agree. I question the assertion that he had ‘mastered’ passing, tackling and catching. Maybe by union standards but there is no way his handling and especially tackling skills will compensate for his physical and knowledge deficiencies. Such an overrated player even in his prime.

3736-mipm.gif

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

He would be far from alone though in being a halfback hidden in defence by his team. Sean Long defended out in the centres to protect him and Brisbane basically made Tonie Carroll Lockyers personal bodyguard to play the full game alongside him and step across to do as much tackling in that channel in front of Lockyer as possible.

Union halves are not noted for strong tackling but Henson in his prime was a notable defender.

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Sorry yes stand off, 

He could defend out wide however tackling was one if his strong points.

His kicking game should carry him and who knows he will probably end up at centre, depends what pace he has left for FB.

Age wise gareth thomas played superleague at age 35-37.

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

Sorry yes stand off, 

He could defend out wide however tackling was one if his strong points.

His kicking game should carry him and who knows he will probably end up at centre, depends what pace he has left for FB.

Age wise gareth thomas played superleague at age 35-37.

Impossible for him to play full back in any serious game. Kicking game alone shouldn’t carry any RL player. Gareth Thomas was a decent tough player not a show pony who’s main talent was his hairstyle. 

3736-mipm.gif

He is 38 and hasn't played RL before and the gap in standards between the top and bottom in League 1 is massive, those things stated by others are true enough. However it isn't as if he has signed for Doncaster, Hunslet or Rochdale and will be expected to lead a promotion push is it? In a competition with two divisions within a division it could be argued that WWR have thus far almost been in a third division on their own at the bottom. In a team struggling to find its feet he stands a better chance of meeting (or perhaps exceeding) the standard of the team mates around him. I'm not saying he is going to stand out in League 1 but with the skills he has he could well do so within the WWR squad.

Even if he isn't all that effective on the pitch given his age he could still work very effectively for the club in a club captain role, where he is a senior figure in the player group whether he plays much or not. He can still mentor the younger players and be an effective part of community work for the club. He is sure to boost the profile of the club and could get more kids to join the junior teams. Good luck to him and the club.

8 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Impossible for him to play full back in any serious game. Kicking game alone shouldn’t carry any RL player. Gareth Thomas was a decent tough player not a show pony who’s main talent was his hairstyle. 

Ha, I agree about kicking game, I remember Foster for saints then huddersfield, they both tried to play him on the wing for his kicking game, didnt work.

Henson is much more than his kicking game but for me there are not many decent positional and goal kickers knocking about, certainly not uk ones.

40 minutes ago, wiganermike said:

He is 38 and hasn't played RL before and the gap in standards between the top and bottom in League 1 is massive, those things stated by others are true enough. However it isn't as if he has signed for Doncaster, Hunslet or Rochdale and will be expected to lead a promotion push is it? In a competition with two divisions within a division it could be argued that WWR have thus far almost been in a third division on their own at the bottom. In a team struggling to find its feet he stands a better chance of meeting (or perhaps exceeding) the standard of the team mates around him. I'm not saying he is going to stand out in League 1 but with the skills he has he could well do so within the WWR squad.

Even if he isn't all that effective on the pitch given his age he could still work very effectively for the club in a club captain role, where he is a senior figure in the player group whether he plays much or not. He can still mentor the younger players and be an effective part of community work for the club. He is sure to boost the profile of the club and could get more kids to join the junior teams. Good luck to him and the club.

And feet through the turnstiles if they are ever allowed to reopen 🙁

Archived