Jonathan Davies word count

BJW

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

And collecting the man of steel award.

Please let's not hijack an existing award for on-field excellence for emotional reasons. For one thing, it'll provoke a seriously unedifying squabble between the people who want Mose Masoe to win and the ones who want Rob Burrow to win.

For another thing, the award is for the players' player of the year, not for the most inspirational life story of the year.

And for another, it'll mean that the award no longer has its original identity, so another will have to be created for the purpose, thus devaluing the association with Steve Prescott.

This is just like the annual social media outrage that the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year trophy hasn't been given to the person with the saddest personal story.

Create an "Inspiration" trophy to celebrate people like Mose or Rob instead. Name it after them, even. But neither qualify for the MoS and giving it to them would probably embarrass them more than anything. And set a precedent so that the best player of the season would never ever receive the MoS title ever again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

22 minutes ago, yipyee said:

I prefer the BBC commentry team to the morons on Sky.

Jiffy does use simple a lot but lets be honest most coaches will also be saying keep it simple, do the basics etc.. also being a great player in his day he might of also found skill simple to do so is underestimating some of the skill involved.. easily done and if you watch any other sports commentry and listen out for example MOTD there will be several occasions the commentators say basic and simple.

People always say they prefer bbc to sky, but that's purely because you aren't anywhere near as over exposed to them.

My takeaway fromm bbc broadcasts is that Davies doesn't watch superleague, and ive thought this for years

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Right, that's enough moaning about one of the games greats. 

Now, which other of the games high achievers can we have a go at? Maybe we need a list. 

Ellery Hanley always talks sense, who does he think he is, always was bigheaded.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Please let's not hijack an existing award for on-field excellence for emotional reasons. For one thing, it'll provoke a seriously unedifying squabble between the people who want Mose Masoe to win and the ones who want Rob Burrow to win.

For another thing, the award is for the players' player of the year, not for the most inspirational life story of the year.

And for another, it'll mean that the award no longer has its original identity, so another will have to be created for the purpose, thus devaluing the association with Steve Prescott.

This is just like the annual social media outrage that the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year trophy hasn't been given to the person with the saddest personal story.

Create an "Inspiration" trophy to celebrate people like Mose or Rob instead. Name it after them, even. But neither qualify for the MoS and giving it to them would probably embarrass them more than anything. And set a precedent so that the best player of the season would never ever receive the MoS title ever again.

Isn't what this is for?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Helen_Rollason_Award

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Just now, Bearman said:

Well, exactly. But every year, social media gets clogged with people who need to be outraged that someone hasn't won the main award, despite not being eligible. This is the thoughtless sentimental incontinence that rules many people's thinking in the current day.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

People always say they prefer bbc to sky, but that's purely because you aren't anywhere near as over exposed to them.

My takeaway fromm bbc broadcasts is that Davies doesn't watch superleague, and ive thought this for years

Possibly however theres too much 'im jokes' and nonesense in the sky commentry 

Davies possibly doesnt watch SL but he must watch some sort of RL as he seems upto date with the rules and i think he was spot on with the header accidental or not the ball ended up forward

3 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

He prefers the Championship and League 1.

20 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

It hasn't always been the case Barry. Go back a decade and the beeb was getting pumped for low effort broadcasts. They have upped their game massively over the last few years and Sky has stood still - doing bare minimum at the moment.

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

It hasn't always been the case Barry. Go back a decade and the beeb was getting pumped for low effort broadcasts. They have upped their game massively over the last few years and Sky has stood still - doing bare minimum at the moment.

The Beeb has upped the quality and quantity of RL coverage over the last decade or so.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think Jiffy give national credence to our game.  Let's never forget that he was brilliant (there's that word again) at both codes.  And in RL he proved it in the hardest school of all - the Aussie League.  I recall some snide Union scribe saying "the League boys'll soon  sort his nose for him" when he signed.  Well despite trying they didn't because he was so good. I won't say he's the best Union convert I've seen, because I think that was Lewis Jones. but he comes pretty close.  And he clearly keeps abreast of current thinking in the game.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

JD is a terrible commentator regardless of how much he knows about the game and his playing talents.

To be fair though he is also terrible when commentating for the Rugby Union coverage so we can’t just blame it on him not keeping up to date with RL properly.

He is better when they have him as part of the studio analyst/talking heads so maybe that is how we should use him as well.

Archived