Quarters instead of two halves?

New faster paced game. Maybe we go to quarters? Keep the pace up, less injuries? 

Or a longer half time break? 

35 minute a side in two halves? 

Also makes the game day experience longer.... And by that I mean more drinking time 😊

Just opening a debate - not convinced any of those good ideas myself but worth a chat maybe

19 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

If the game decides to scrap scrums and keep 6 again permanently I think matches will be shorter rather than playing 4 quarters

Games are already a good bit longer than they used to be - you could expect a 3:00 KO to be done by 4:35 when I started watching - it's more like 5:00 these days. 

Making the game shorter or having more breaks tilts the balance more towards size and away from 80 minute endurance, just like more interchanges does.

I’d go 3x thirds of 25 mins but then you’re potentially seen as decreasing the value of  game. 

This would certainly help solve some issues regarding injuries.

Even though reducing the game time by 5 mins may not be popular with broadcasters, I believe the product would improve which would balance the books.

2 minutes ago, Southerner said:

I’d go 3x thirds of 25 mins but then you’re potentially seen as decreasing the value of  game. 

Even though reducing the game time by 5 mins may not be popular with broadcasters, I believe the product would improve which would balance the books.

More gaps means more advertising time.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

It doesn’t need to be full quarter breaks just have a couple of minutes drinks break around the 20 min mark. Then hopefully we could bin off water carriers during the game. 

We do that on hot days in third team rugby union...

... .. I get the irony that we'd yet another break! 

5 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

New faster paced game. Maybe we go to quarters? Keep the pace up, less injuries? 

Also makes the game day experience longer.... And by that I mean more drinking time 😊

Just opening a debate - not convinced any of those good ideas myself but worth a chat maybe

Can we please then reduce the interchanges to 2?

3 hours ago, Southerner said:

So on the toss of a coin in inclement weather conditions, one team cold benefit from them twice as much, conversely one team could be playing agaisnt them twice as much, not a good idea really is it Southerner that is way we play in two equal halves.

I'd go with an on pitch 2 minute break at 20 and 60 minutes and keep the water (message) carrying nuisances off the pitch.

I think it would add value to broadcast rights and allow for teams getting a tonking a chance to re-group, Hull could probably have made a better game of it today if after 20 minutes under the cosh they could re-group and have some considered input.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Southerner said:

Who plays into the wind twice ? 😉

18 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think quarters should be tried for the Challenge Cup. Would help to keep smaller clubs in the contest as the bigger clubs wouldn't get a roll on with momentum and fitness. Help make more of a contest.

If it increases game income significantly or if sound research shows a significant reduction in injuries, then it should be done. If those two scenarios aren’t relevant then it should only be done if the weather is really hot.

13 hours ago, Padge said:

I'd go with an on pitch 2 minute break at 20 and 60 minutes and keep the water (message) carrying nuisances off the pitch.

I think it would add value to broadcast rights and allow for teams getting a tonking a chance to re-group, Hull could probably have made a better game of it today if after 20 minutes under the cosh they could re-group and have some considered input.

Gets my vote too.

Would be interested to know how much it would help the players with the faster-paced game. 

Archived