What became of Loose Forward

Number 16

Now don't get me wrong, there are some superb players running around in the #13 jersey (or whichever number passes for #13 in SL squads), but few are your traditional ball-playing type of LF. 

For me Jake Trbojovic and, latterly, Cameron McInnes, are reasonable throwbacks in the NRL,but mostly in that competition and SL the LF is just a 'middle forward' with a bigger engine. 

Who else is close to a traditional LF, and has the role as we knew it pretty much gone for good? 

Sonny Bill Williams

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I don't think it's hard to work out why the traditional ball-playing loose forward has gradually disappeared. The modern game is much faster and based more on winning collisions than was the case thirty or forty years ago, and you can't really carry somebody defensively as your third middle.  If they are going to play for 80 minutes, that's a massive ask because they will probably need to be making 40+ tackles as well as being heavily involved in the attacking play. And if they are going to be spelled, you'd really need another loose-forward type on the bench or you're going to have your attacking moves affected.

That said, there are still players around who can fulfil this role. Cameron Smith at Leeds is a very good example, and from what little I saw of Leigh last season Danny Addy seemed to be effectively playing the old-fashioned loose forward role, will be interesting to see if he gets the chance to do that at Salford.

2 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

SOL was a top quality loose forward who would stack upto any era. 

Yeah I think SOL, Sinfield and Sculthorpe were the last real top 13s we've had here. 

There's a few floating around but coaches seem less inclined to use them. Westerman I think it is at Wakefield. Coaches seem to prefer having a 3rd prop or "middle" on these days, considering most props can pass the ball too these days anyway.

There is one of the best playing right now, may be his last season but he is one of the best ball playing 13's you'll see. SO'L

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Alot of the game has changed namely since SL started. My club had a 6ft 4 stand off in Graeme Bradley. A former second rower. The hooking role changed too. Under Northern we had Pendlebury, Pinner and Russell Stewart however even under Peter Fox the LF position was changing. Under him namely another back rower. Fairbank Medley and Dixon.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

30 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

WAS,

Nothing he has done since his return to RL indicates he is anywhere near what he could offer, and unfortunately time is not on his side for a resurgence.

I think the OP just asked who still plays like a loose and not opinon on if a player isnt as good as he used to be.

Sonny Bill Williams was a second row in his early days as a Rugby League player and very much used his size and offload to excel on the edge so he was never a 13.

But on his few games for the Roosters so far there is no doubt he is being used as a ball handling middle forward (filling the boots of Victor Radley in that regard)... the closest thing we have to the old fashioned 13 in the modern game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

WAS,

Nothing he has done since his return to RL indicates he is anywhere near what he could offer, and unfortunately time is not on his side for a resurgence.

You haven’t watched the Roosters last 2 games then.

every 2 weeks.

Knocker Norton was the last one and there will never be another like him. Just like this comment, close the thread and ban anyone who utters the words 'ball handling loose forward' for life.

Him from Penrith is good...

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Some great Loose Forwards here from the past who played in the British game to stir the memories of older posters: Vince Karalius, Derek Turner, Ray Batten, Kel Coslett, Malcolm Reilly, Dougie Laughton, Steve Norton, Peter Smith, Gavin Miller and Harry Pinner. I am sure you can add many more.

9 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Surprised by the lack of mention of Morgan Knowles in this thread. If anything, ballplaying loose forwards have made a resurgence the last couple of years with the likes of Victor Radley, Jake Trbojevic and Cam Murray 

Only Trbojevic qualifies. All the others are brilliant play 2 ball runners, not 'ball handling loose forwards'. You shouldnt be surprised at the lack of Morgan Knowles mentions because most people who arent Saints fans and even those that are realise that he is a bog standard work a day middle bloke, great player but its delusional to pretend hes anything else. You dont have to shoe horn your own loose forward into a non-sensical conversation about a role that no longer exists for likes on the internet

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

53 minutes ago, JohnM said:

LF? Albert Blan. Will we ever see his like again? 

A magician with the Rugby Ball.Three players tackling him and he would still manage a back flip out of the tackle to a supporting team mate.Harry Pinner was good he had a wide variation of passes.Going back 60 years Johnny Whiteley was probably the best as Great Britain picked him at 13 forceing Derek ROCKY Turner and Vince Karalius to play in the second row when they were world class at loose forward.

16 hours ago, Padge said:

There is one of the best playing right now, may be his last season but he is one of the best ball playing 13's you'll see. SO'L

I also thought Snfield an excellent loose forward.  O'Loughlin is another.  Farrell (A) was another.  None of 'em in the Karalius/Whitely/Turner mould.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

There are plenty of 13's (and front rowers) in the modern game with very good passing games and as Saint 1 points out, the likes of Radley (now SBW), Murray and Trbojevic often play first reciever on shift plays in order for the halves to attack the edges. All good modern teams have players who can do this.

I guess the difference today is that these are quite structured plays while the old school 13's we remember were more off the cuff and creative in their style.

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There are plenty of 13's (and front rowers) in the modern game with very good passing games and as Saint 1 points out, the likes of Radley (now SBW), Murray and Trbojevic often play first reciever on shift plays in order for the halves to attack the edges. All good modern teams have players who can do this.

I guess the difference today is that these are quite structured plays while the old school 13's we remember were more off the cuff and creative in their style.

I am not at all sure that I go along with all is stuctured v. "off the cuff" stuff.  Generally a "play" starts as structured, but as it develops it might well need off the cuff action.  But nothing can go off the cuff or part of any structured play without support play. Nothing can happen without intelligence.

Tyrone Peachy (centre) has been playing at 13 for Gold Coast as a running off the cuff player. Cameron McInnes (hooker) same for St George - play what you see. The smaller versatile 13 is coming back who can play with the ball and off load. This is a shift in mindset IMO and is very welcome.

22 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Now don't get me wrong, there are some superb players running around in the #13 jersey (or whichever number passes for #13 in SL squads), but few are your traditional ball-playing type of LF. 

For me Jake Trbojovic and, latterly, Cameron McInnes, are reasonable throwbacks in the NRL,but mostly in that competition and SL the LF is just a 'middle forward' with a bigger engine. 

Who else is close to a traditional LF, and has the role as we knew it pretty much gone for good? 

What became of the Loose Forward........ as we knew it.

When Australia introduced unlimited interchanges in '96 the accent went onto power over skill, bigger men were required to compete with the opposing bigger men, the skilful 13's became redundant, it fared no better with 12 interchanges then 10 now we have 8 the approach from the leading teams is utilising the old type of 13 again, if we can manage to get to 6 or better still even 4 interchanges the sport will become a far more aesthetic spectacle, also if the 6 again rules stays that will slim down the 10 minute behemoths to more agile aerobic players who can last longer minutes, then we will see a big resurgence for the 13's of yesteryear once more.

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Sonny Bill Williams was a second row in his early days as a Rugby League player and very much used his size and offload to excel on the edge so he was never a 13.

But on his few games for the Roosters so far there is no doubt he is being used as a ball handling middle forward (filling the boots of Victor Radley in that regard)... the closest thing we have to the old fashioned 13 in the modern game.

Imo though he was very much like Paul Sculthorpe in terms of his attributes and should have been a career 13.

SBW has had a very good career across both codes but I cannot help feeling that he never played in what I think would have been his best position in RL.

Archived