Macclesfield Town FC-Could we see the same happen in RL to some of our clubs?

With the news that Macclesfield Town FC have gone bust for no doubt a variety of reasons,and yes no doubt mismanagement over a period of time was one,could we see the same happen to some of our clubs with what has been going on?

I do genuinely fear for the future of many clubs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

With the news that Macclesfield Town FC have gone bust for no doubt a variety of reasons,and yes no doubt mismanagement over a period of time was one,could we see the same happen to some of our clubs with what has been going on?

I do genuinely fear for the future of many clubs.

We've already lost one club from Super League.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

The big problem in the game is an over reliance on rich owners, particularly at SL level with clubs spending money they just don’t have. This is fine until something happens to the rich owner then the clubs in trouble. In my opinion clubs need to be built around sustainable business plans and need to look at ways to generate more money through the business rather than the owners which would lessen the chance of failure. That being said I do appreciate that with Covid-19 clubs probably have had to rely on their owners which is right under the circumstances.

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

The big problem in the game is an over reliance on rich owners, particularly at SL level with clubs spending money they just don’t have. This is fine until something happens to the rich owner then the clubs in trouble. In my opinion clubs need to be built around sustainable business plans and need to look at ways to generate more money through the business rather than the owners which would lessen the chance of failure. That being said I do appreciate that with Covid-19 clubs probably have had to rely on their owners which is right under the circumstances.

On here they think RL is immune and cant die like so many football clubs have.

Soccer is dying in the uk but the sucsess of the EPL masks it. Participation numbers are down but the rise of 5 a side again masks this. Old people having a kick around after work or people from other sports having a mess about is certaintly not growth

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Right on queue...

Do you know the story at Macclesfield Town at all? 

No but living in Manchester and in the past having watched the local news on BBC or ITV I do know that they have had a history of financial issues and yes some mismanagement.

Indeed a former chairman there tragically committed suicide and if my mind serves me right it turned out there were financial difficulties there.It seems that financial issues have been a problem for a long time there.

1 hour ago, Cardypaul said:

That is very true.Clubs have to be financially viable and not having to rely on rich owners.

The big question is how do you do that?

And whatever happens to achieve that it will at times be very unpopular 

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I can't be the only Bulls fan who thinks that there will be a merger with Dewsbury.

If it happens, I'll switch to Keighley or Fax.

It won't happen. There is more chance of you moving back to Odsal, I hear.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

48 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

That is very true.Clubs have to be financially viable and not having to rely on rich owners.

The big question is how do you do that?

And whatever happens to achieve that it will at times be very unpopular 

So, a list of those clubs who are financially viable and not dependent upon rich/generous owners would help.

I will start with.......................................nope, can't think of one. Give me a minute.  🕵️‍♂️

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

All sports rely on rich owners, RL is no different to football or Union in that respect. 

37 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

So, a list of those clubs who are financially viable and not dependent upon rich/generous owners would help.

I will start with.......................................nope, can't think of one. Give me a minute.  🕵️‍♂️

West Bank Bears?

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

West Bank Bears?

Elmbridge Eagles & Reading Raiders ?

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

On here they think RL is immune and cant die like so many football clubs have.

Soccer is dying in the uk but the sucsess of the EPL masks it. Participation numbers are down but the rise of 5 a side again masks this. Old people having a kick around after work or people from other sports having a mess about is certaintly not growth

Which “on here” are you referring to? This forum is very honest about the issues facing the game especially if you ignore the obvious trolls

There will always be a number of clubs on the brink. It has been the case for the whole time I have been watching RL. The difference at the moment is how does the landscape look for those with a bit of cash looking to invest? RL clubs without assets, or crowds, or guaranteed long-term TV income - must be a scary prospect to investors.

It could potentially just be bad timing for a club at the moment slipping into trouble. Fingers crossed we don't lose any clubs.

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

No but living in Manchester and in the past having watched the local news on BBC or ITV I do know that they have had a history of financial issues and yes some mismanagement.

Indeed a former chairman there tragically committed suicide and if my mind serves me right it turned out there were financial difficulties there.It seems that financial issues have been a problem for a long time there.

The cash will arrive any day now was used as the excuse for the last 9 months or so until the Judge actually realised that the current owner was making things up.

Also wasn’t a previous owner of Bury FC knocking around. Now there’s a solid source is there ever was one

Many charities, clubs etc would not exist without unpaid volunteers. I know, because I am Treesurer of one. Nor would the RNLI, nor would IAM Roadsmart, etc. They are only "viable" because of a huge donation from so many workers. No different to  huge donation from one person. 

If all clubs had to pay all workers the living wage rate, they would all go out of business. 

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

That is what worries me.

Are any of the clubs financially viable without input from directors?

18 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

That is what worries me.

Are any of the clubs financially viable without input from directors?

No, nor are any clubs viable without TV money either but that's how sport is run, in any other area of life it would be regarded as being built on foundations of quicksand, always running to stop from sinking, as we have seen with the Covoid crisis there's no slack to cope with the unexpected be it soccer, racing motor sports or RL they all need to fulfil their obligations to their paymaster's.

Archived