Feet inches stones and pounds

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Same here.

When I'm watching the Tour de France I'm constantly trying to convert the riders' speeds from kph to mph.

What??  This is in direct contravention of rule 24!!

https://www.velominati.com

For more information on the Rugby League Record Keepers' Club please visit our official website at www.rugbyleaguerecords.com

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, yipyee said:

The rules are set to yards etc it would be odd to convert that to metric and have random numbers to decimals.

I notice in the weather they use celcius whens its cold and farenheit when hot.

Ie its below 0 tonight or its a hot day with temperarures over 100

But where you have a measurement that it was felt unwise to change because it was being converted from imperial to metric, you did get random, decimal numbers.  That was most obviously true of goals, I imagine.  For instance, an ice hockey goal, traditionally 6 feet by 4 feet, became 1.83 metres by 1.22 metres.

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

The rules are set to yards etc it would be odd to convert that to metric and have random numbers to decimals.

Well, it's either settle for the random numbers or change every soccer, rugby, hockey and shinty goal in the country. Indeed, the world.

FIFA laws say the goals are 7.32m wide and 2.44m high.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Same here.

When I'm watching the Tour de France I'm constantly trying to convert the riders' speeds from kph to mph.

I have my bike gps set to kph as it seems faster and it’s also the international language of cycling. Also why terms like peloton and grupetto are routinely used by English language commentators despite them being French and Italian words respectively.

I think overall we just get so used to mixing and matching imperial and metric units of measurement.

In terms of weight for small weights like food I would best understand grams and kilograms but when it comes to how heavy a human is then stones and pounds are what conjures up the image most readily.

Same with height for humans where feet and inches prevails in my mind but with sports like athletics distances and heights are always most obvious to me in metres and centimetres not feet and inches but in America they still refer to world records in the old measures.

1 hour ago, Griff said:

Well, it's either settle for the random numbers or change every soccer, rugby, hockey and shinty goal in the country. Indeed, the world.

FIFA laws say the goals are 7.32m wide and 2.44m high.

I think you'll find that both RU and RL use metres in their rule books.

1 hour ago, arcticchris said:

I have my bike gps set to kph as it seems faster and it’s also the international language of cycling. Also why terms like peloton and grupetto are routinely used by English language commentators despite them being French and Italian words respectively.

I think overall we just get so used to mixing and matching imperial and metric units of measurement.

I've gone totally metric in all things, no halfway measures for me.

Metric doesn't work.

The whole world is built using imperial

Every engineering project is built using imperial. It might have MM size nuts and bolts but they will all use imperial drive sockets!

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

Metric doesn't work.

The whole world is built using imperial

Every engineering project is built using imperial. It might have MM size nuts and bolts but they will all use imperial drive sockets!

You do know that many countries never used imperial right?

Nobody advocating a return to pounds, shillings and pence then?

I was a scientist/technologist all of my working life so happily worked with the various metric systems in operation yet still tend to think in pounds/ounces and feet/yards in "normal" life. Most human brains are quite flexible really: if yours isn't then....................................

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

You are Jacob Rees-Mogg and I claim my £5...actually, make that five guineas!

I'll happily take my jobbers turn and take your odd five shillings.

I'm reading that the English currency came from 1 pound of silver weight, split up into 20 solidi and 240 denerii.

What I also remember is reading about Alan Turing, who was a clever bloke, who reminded some Americans that the great advantage of the British currency system is that its possible to split the cost of a restaurant bill equally between virtually any number, except 7.

I like the idea of a "bender"...

https://www.royalmint.com/stories/collect/coin-nicknames/?

Anyway that at least takes my mind off the BBC shoehorning the CC Draw into the half time interval Wigan v Hull game  ... And using Jon Wilkins' old sock and a few spare mint balls.

18 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Nobody advocating a return to pounds, shillings and pence then?

Much better.

16 farthings = 1 groat

6 groats = 1 florin

10½ florins = 1 guinea.

What's complicated about it ?

2 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I'm reading that the English currency came from 1 pound of silver weight, split up into 20 solidi and 240 denerii.

And it's no coincidence that there are 15 pennyweights in an ounce and 16 ounces in a pound.

4 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No, metric is for everyone because the relationships between units are all consistent unlike the dog's breakfast which is imperial measurement.

How are supposed to keep the dastardly Johnny Foreigner on the back foot if we make things easily understandable? You'll be banning us from spelling the word "fish" G.H.O.T.I. next!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

26 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

No, metric is for everyone because the relationships between units are all consistent unlike the dog's breakfast which is imperial measurement.

A litre is the volume of a kilogram of water.

A gallon is the volume of 10 lbs of water.

There are relationships.  Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they aren't there.

9 minutes ago, Griff said:

A litre is the volume of a kilogram of water.

A gallon is the volume of 10 lbs of water.

There are relationships.  Just because you don't know them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Is that an imperial gallon or a US gallon?

Archived