Mauritius - what’s going on?

As some on the forum know my wife’s dad is from Mauritius and so I’ve got a fairly strong family connection there and have stayed there with the relatives a few times. I know there’s a lot going on at the moment to occupy the media but I’d have thought a few column inches might have been dedicated to what’s going on there at the moment. 

as briefly made the news a month or so ago a Japanese oil tanker ran aground after failing to be hailed by the coast guard, and being 100km off course, and had spilled a ridiculous amount of oil in to an area of huge natural diversity, and beauty. If this wasn’t bad enough the company responsible have brought in their own experts to deal with this, who have sunk half the boat (which the two companies who are considered the best in the world at these operations have not been involved and are in the record as saying that’s not what they should be doing). After the sinking whales and dolphins have been turning up dead. The bodies which have allegedly been sent for autopsy, have disappeared and no one knows where they are or if the autopsy (assuming they have happened) has returned anything. Further more of a local 4 man salvage crew who went on to the vessel, 3 are dead and the captain is missing. 

If that wasn’t odd enough now Mauritian groups on Facebook and WhatsApp are being flooded with racially hatred material in a coordinated attack where the normal group moderators were kicked out. 

Now I’m normally the person who says conspiracy theories are a bunch of nonsense but there certainly seems something dodgy going on there at the moment. Here’s a couple of articles from Forbes on the topic if anyone other than me is interested

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nishandegnarain/2020/09/18/five-glaring-issues-with-the-oil-spill-response-in-mauritius-today/amp/?fbclid=IwAR3ftBkAXRAIAUPkGCxqVGc3j3rkpf_3fGKWTuEi0I5huxCgglm5o2087Z8

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/nishandegnarain/2020/09/20/trouble-in-paradise-facebook-spread-of-hate-speech-as-mauritius-oil-spill-crisis-continues/amp/

Archived