Burnout

I see Canberra won again.  They have 4 (?) England qualified players.  They play 22 regular season games.

But Bateman (as an example) returns to Wigan next season and faces a short pre season and 29 regular games plus cups and finals. As do home based England players.

Australian based players from all nations will be far fresher come the world cup. 

The game is deliberately being speeded up.  This is led by Australia, which wants a fast TV spectacle to make it money. But in Britain we persist in piling in the fixtures, lengthening the regular season, shortening the pre season and squeezing in the Cup. And speeding up the game.

Player welfare must be an increasing issue.  Injuries are prevalent, knee injuruies for example and we now clearly get more neck injuries ... and I do not think this comes from foul play, its becoming inevitable because of the style, the speed and the movement of the game. 

How long can this go on.  The result is one word.  Burnout.

21 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

I see Canberra won again.  They have 4 (?) England qualified players.  They play 22 regular season games.

But Bateman (as an example) returns to Wigan next season and faces a short pre season and 29 regular games plus cups and finals. As do home based England players.

Australian based players from all nations will be far fresher come the world cup. 

The game is deliberately being speeded up.  This is led by Australia, which wants a fast TV spectacle to make it money. But in Britain we persist in piling in the fixtures, lengthening the regular season, shortening the pre season and squeezing in the Cup. And speeding up the game.

Player welfare must be an increasing issue.  Injuries are prevalent, knee injuruies for example and we now clearly get more neck injuries ... and I do not think this comes from foul play, its becoming inevitable because of the style, the speed and the movement of the game. 

The injuries are just as prevalent in the NRL from what I can see.

The number of games won't be reduced in SL as the clubs all repeatedly say they need the money.

You could limit a player to making say 20 appearances in regular season games I guess, but the smaller squad clubs would complain.

Until we stop being such an overwhelmingly club driven sport it'll never change.

9 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

The injuries are just as prevalent in the NRL from what I can see.

The number of games won't be reduced in SL as the clubs all repeatedly say they need the money.

You could limit a player to making say 20 appearances in regular season games I guess, but the smaller squad clubs would complain.

Until we stop being such an overwhelmingly club driven sport it'll never change.

Personally think something along those lines is what is needed. A bit of squad management would increase uncertainty of some results too, and blood more players through the league.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

We could reduce salary cap by 20% and do this easily, we may lose more of our best players though. We could even get a much bigger tv deal that allows for a shorter season but same number of TV games 

we could put admission prices up 30% 

common theme  is more money into clubs to replace the fixtures lost

One issue at I think needs to be addressed is the pre season.

We should give players a rest and then give then proper pre season to get fit and train, not least for skills as well as team work.

This must need however a shorter season. To do this we have to fit in the Cup as well, whilst in Aussieland they are not fussed about cups.

The most I would agree with is 24, which gives 2 magic weekends.

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes , it was incredibly stupid to push through essentially a full season so late in the year 

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Yes. But I believe that next season should be shortened as well.

Which is why I suggested a mini league of 9 rounds , then starting on Boxing Day to stretch next season out running up to the WC  

Just now, GUBRATS said:

Which is why I suggested a mini league of 9 rounds , then starting on Boxing Day to stretch next season out running up to the WC  

I don't think the game should stretched.  There should be a longer pre season and there should be a some space after the GF to let the England squad have some time in camp.

Archived